The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking about something yesterday. I dont let my vet, dentist or farrier come out for an appointment unless my friend or myself is going to be there. Its a pain in the butt sometimes, on some occassions I have to take off work or leave early. Id rather just supervise everyone then worry about whos there. My farrier lives close and is very flexible and my vet works sometimes till 11pm, so its not a huge deal.

We had a vet, here in bucks county, who got his license taken away because he was beating horses, most owners didnt know about it. I have never met him, but I used his partner in the practice a few times. Most people were in shock when it came out. So I think twice about who is around my horses now.

Does anyone else so this? Am I over protective?

I used to babysit children for people and they took less care with their kids then I with my horses.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
I've never had anyone other than myself or my husband handle our horses when they need work done. We've never had to leave one overnight. Not sure how I would handle that situation :shock: Probably worry myself sick and call them every 10 minutes :lol:

·
Registered
535 Posts
i would allow my B.O. or his wife to stay with my horse when the vet comes out. they have been working with him for 3 years before i bought him so they know him better then i do. i also have a good friend who has had horses for 25 years and knows far more then i do about them to be there. other then those 3 people, i would prefer to be there myself. you're not overprotective, you're just protecting your investment.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I'm there. If for some ridiculous reason I can't be I would have my dad, mom, or one of my two horsie friends there. But I wouldn't set an appt if I couldn't be there.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I'm the only person who 'handles' my horses... but if I couldn't get there, I'd ask my best friend... if she couldn't do it, I'd ask my other friends mother... otherwise, it wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
I wouldn't set an appt if I couldn't be there.
I SOOOO agree!

Our liability insurance would not cover the vet or farrier heading out into the herd to get the horse. We have had the farrier fix a flat without owner present - but it is HIS decision and he knows he is 100% responsible. (the horse is left in a stall or the round pen for safe access)

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have different rules for different horses. For my foal, nobody but me does anything with him but pet him from across the fence if I'm not present. For his mama, I'll let my mom and sister deal with her, as they have horse knowledge and know what to do if she gets a bit fractious. For Sugar, I'll let anybody who can hold a leadrope and who I trust not to be an abusive piece of s*** handle her, which includes my brother, dad, sister, mom, any one of my non horsey friends, etc. However, I would never let a farrier or vet deal with one of my horses if neither I nor someone I trust could be present.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Nobody handles my horses except me. Actually I don't think anyone but me could even catch most of them as they really don't like strangers!
I occasionally leave one overnight at the neighbors when we are working cattle several days in a row just so I don't have to haul him back and forth but they all know I don't like people messing with my horses so just leave him wherever I put him. I'm definitly overprotective!

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Tons of people handle my horse.
I have had the BOs hold my horse for the vet or farrier if for some reason I couldn't make it, however that has only happened once or twice. Typically, I am there for vet or farrier. Outside of that sort of thing, I let plenty of people handle him. I've had other people trailer him (I worried the whole time, but he was fine) and I give basic horse lessons with him so people learn to go out and get him, groom him, tack him up, etc. I have a girl that occasionally comes out and rides him for me when she gets the time if I have been busy with class.

For vet or farrier, its -typically- me, but I've had it otherwise before too.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ditto.

Nobody handles Lilly except me or my mum...if we can help it. We were both present for the farrier and I skipped my morning class (attendance was not mandatory that day, but still...) to be there and hold her head while the vet administered the anal probe when she needed to be checked for pregnancy.

Our boarder does a lot for us seeing as we can't be out there every day atm, but one of us will always be out there to handle Lilly for appointments, and if that's not possible...the appointment will be rescheduled, if possible (i.e. not an emergency).

It's not just a liability thing for me, at least. As her owner I feel I need to step up to the plate and take responsibility for handling her and dealing with the vet/farrier/whatever face-to-face.

·
Registered
301 Posts
:)Luckily, I can always arrange to be home so I can meet my farrier or Vet. I also have a good friend who would stand in for me if I needed her to. I can't believe that story about the Vet in your area - how awful!!
I do trust my farrier and Vet, but I guess you just never know!

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Well, my one boy is boarded right now so he is handled by lots of people. Turned out and brought in by whomever is doing that chore that day, etc.

As far as vet or farrier stuff goes I schedule them for when I can be there. My farrier sometimes has cancellations and calls and asks if he can go early and just do what he needs to do and I totally trust him and let him do that.

I do not schedule them to not be there, it just happens every now and agian.

My last vet appointment the vet got there early and I was still 40 minutes away. They asked if they could start with out me (ultrasound on a leg) and I said sure.

Shrug. I trust my vet and farrier. If I didn't I would not be using them.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, my one boy is boarded right now so he is handled by lots of people. Turned out and brought in by whomever is doing that chore that day, etc.

As far as vet or farrier stuff goes I schedule them for when I can be there. My farrier sometimes has cancellations and calls and asks if he can go early and just do what he needs to do and I totally trust him and let him do that.

I do not schedule them to not be there, it just happens every now and agian.

My last vet appointment the vet got there early and I was still 40 minutes away. They asked if they could start with out me (ultrasound on a leg) and I said sure.

Shrug. I trust my vet and farrier. If I didn't I would not be using them.
I am fine with boarding, but I only board at small barns. I get a little ticked off if the B.O. is getting someone else to feed the horses for her, and doesnt tell me. I worked at a large boarding barn, people are just way too trust worthy. The owner would hire anyone, she would even let 10 year old kids work there for lessons, unsupervised. Some barns even hire mexicans, who are cheep, dont speak english and dont have experience with horses.

If I was a B.O. I would only allow one or two people to take care of the horses, otherwise its a huge liability. Alot of people trusted this vet and he wasnt new to the profession or young. He was about 45-50. I'm only 23 but as long as I can remember he was practicing around here. So he could have been doing this for years. The owners may not have even known it. He wasnt beating everyone horses, just ones who ticked him off. So, this vet could have been yours, or anyones, you trust him and he looks like a good guy, but the people down the street might have had their horse abused by him.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I understand your point Silly. And I am pretty conservative about my horse's care. But I refuse to be paranoid about my vet and farrier. I know how my farrier treats my horses as I have been there and watched him LOTS of times. He is far more patient with them than I am, actually.
The vet practice I use would not allow a vet on staff that was inappropriate with clients or their horses.

I think it is great that everyone is there for their appointments. I truly try to do that. I most certainly schedule them and my time to be there. But when my farrier calls and asks if he can do the horses at 9am instead of 4pm because it would save him lots of driving time I trust him enough to let him do that.

Edit to add: I truly have no issue if my vet or farrier give my horses deserved discipline.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
For me it isn't a trust thing. I like to be there when my farrier (I actually do my own work usually, so not really an issue) is there so I can talk to him about what he's doing and if I've noticed anything unusual with his hooves. With the vet, I'm the one who knows everything about my horses. If it's a health issue, I'm the only person that's able to accurately describe how it's effecting their behavior. Since I will be the one treating the horse I need to be able to question the vet. If it's vaccinations I want to know where the shots are going so I can watch for reactions.

Overall I'm just anal and really enjoy questioning and discussing things with my vets/farriers/etc.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Tigerstripes, I am anal too. Very even. Laugh.

I guess my posts make it sound like I let the vet and farrier handle my horses all the time with out me.

The vet it has happened once. They forgot to call an hour out and I work 45 minutes from home. They called as they pulled in the driveway. They were willing to wait and did wait for all the vaccines and general exams but did the leg ultrasound after I said it was fine to start.

The farrier. Well. He is the best and has bee so wonderful to my horses if I can make his life easier every now and again I am all for it.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^ me too. I usually have a list of q's written down by the time the vet gets there.

Also I worry about someone just coming by and putting my horses on a trailer and stealing them. If they know were they are, and know they are friendly there is no one there to stop them (The BOs are two 80-90 year old sisters.) The barn is off the road, the drive looks like its part of a municipal property. So most people dont know there are horses there, unless youve been there before.

While my friend was boarding there she had a trainer out, she met on craigslist ride, ride her horse while no one was there. I got really ****ed. This trainer would have had to stable my two while I wasnt there. I could see someone doing that, put up an add on craigslist, know the people arent there and they just haul them away.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I am the only one who handles my horses for the vet and farrier. And I cannot stand for someone else to feed my horses (or other animals for that matter) so I do all that myself. But I am a stay-at-home-"mom" if you will... I take care of my terminally ill mother and 12 year old sister and 10 year old brother so I am always here anyways. I do occasionally allow my dad or older brother to move my horses to another field but it isn't very often. And half the time I am the only one to handle their horses to so..I don't get many complaints about me not letting them do anything.. I am in the overly-protective category... My brother will let anyone who can ride, ride his horses but people around here know not to mess with mine. Not that I think I ride so much better then others but they are MY horses.. I am the one to pay the vet bills when/if my horse was hurt, I'm the one who will have to fix the problem that may arise from wrong handling.. Haha sorry for the small rant just been there, done that and learned a lesson.. And people up here got the idea they could come up and ride all the time for free. We would saddle, groom, feed and all that and they wouldn't even help groom down the horses after they rode them?? I dont think so I have to spend all this money to buy my own horse and take care of it and then just LET someone come enjoy them and not even offer to help? Haha again sorry...Things popped up when I started typing.. :)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree to an extent about not letting other people ride your horse. But then again I dont want a one person horse. I want her to work with other people, incase for some reason I have to sell her, shes rideable for other people. I was trying to find someone to ride my mare (while I was there) but she has bouts of lameness issues right now.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I only let my bf and I handle our horses. If we can not be there for appointments then we don't make them until we can be there for them.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts