The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do they generally start at price-wise?

Are there specific commercial entities as farms and ranches that raise horses specifically for horsehair production?

·
Banned
954 Posts
How much do they generally start at price-wise?
Sorry, no idea. But I can't imagine that they wouldn't be quite expensive, unless you managed to find a used one. Or perhaps an old one that it's owner wants to get rid of in a hurry.

Are there specific commercial entities as farms and ranches that raise horses specifically for horsehair production?
Lol, probably not the best place to ask that kind of question. Most of the userbase here view horses as pets, not livestock to make commodities out of.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, maybe this belongs in farm forum then. Livestock raised for products probably belongs there. I thought horsehair might be sold to industry when people groom their horses the way ranchers sell wool when their sheep are shorn. Are horses' manes and tails ever shorn?

Horsehair is valued for beds, upholstery, fine paint brushes and bow strings for musical instruments.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Never saw a horse hair mattress. I have used and prefer horse hair saddle pads, but they have been overwhelmed by synthetic pads. I used to see upholstered chairs and such stuffed wit horse hair.

My guess is that the supply came from slaughter houses. That would make Mexico a possible source to look at.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
horse hair is used in the old wall plaster. (not drywall) At least it used to be and it helped the plaster stay together . much like fibers they add to concrete to strengthen it

Reactions: Foxhunter

·
Premium Member
16,046 Posts
I had a horsehair mattress when I was a child, most uncomfortable thing ever!

The hair wads out leaving indentations and if it works through the material it is very pric.kly

As said, most horse hair - which would be mane and tail hair, would come from a slaughter house.

Years back a man I knew repaired furniture as a hobby and I would save the mane hair from when I pulled to shorten, for him as he found it hard to purchase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts