The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years back as a first time horse, it never would have crossed my mind to insure my mare. Over the last few years I have been insuring my horses(just filled the insurance papers for my new gelding), mainly because they have been boarded and trained/ridden by riders other than me.

But I was curious, who else here has their horse insured or in the process of insuring him/her?

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Denny was insured from Oct 08 to 09, then I let it lapse - I should have renewed. Now that I have a lessee, we will be getting insurance (full coverage - major medical, surgical and mortality) with me as the beneficiary, that way if anything happens, there is no need to fight over vet bills or, in the event of death, compensation.
I really do like having him insured. It gives me peace of mind in case I don't have a ton of money in my bank account if he hurt himself really badly.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i have never insured a horse before, but i do want to insure my mare at some point when i have the $$ to... how much does it cost per year generally ?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I insure Robbie. He's got full coverage and thank God he does. :]
Right after I bought him, he had a really, really bad bout of colic and almost died. Vet bills were crazy expensive and if insurance didn't cover thsoe expenses, he would've been put down. I just don't have that kind of money to pay for that and he would've died if I didn't have him insured. Also, if he is stolen or gets a carrer-ending injury, we get money back for him. Right now he is insured for $35,000 and we pay $500/year. I honestly don't know why you wouldn't insure...it takes the worry out of "how am I ever going to pay for this?!?" if your horse is hurt or really sick. :]

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I looked into it. For the major medical, mortality and liability for my two horses it would be like $1000. I just want major medical and it urkes me no one offers just that, without mortality. I figure I'll save that money somewere if we actually need it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Where did you find the company that you insure your horses through? I have always wanted to do this but never knew where to go.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Oh yes! We would be out if any of our horses died, especially Ben. I might not insure a $500 horse (not sure, never had one to know) But both our current horses have insurance. It's worth the peace of mind, especially with Ben so accident prone.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Never have... but I would like to sometime in the future...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just insured Paul today with Markel Equine insurance. I have mortality, theft, and major medical ($250 deductible and $8000 surgical costs) and it will cost me $550.00 a year. I like that the isurance company lets me pay quarterly with my credit card so that it doesn't hit the wallet all at once but with his cribbing and the possibility of colic, it was a risk i wasn't ready to take. while my dog's emergency visits may cost me a few hundred, one with paul could be a few thousand and i don't have that kind of cash.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked into it. For the major medical, mortality and liability for my two horses it would be like $1000. I just want major medical and it urkes me no one offers just that, without mortality. I figure I'll save that money somewere if we actually need it.
How much are you insuring your horses for?! that seems like an awful lot of money to me.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I am going to if I ever have to board or anything like that. If I start doing lots of shows and if Bears value gets up there, then yes, I will insure him.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yep, I have an investment pony who I lease out that's insured for $10,000 (major medical, mortality, theft, loss of use?). I think it was like $600 a year? I'm not sure. I charge it to the girl who leases him. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
I had my first pony insured "fully comp"

my current horse is insured "third party" as he's at livery at a riding school and a lot of people would be around the yard...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
How much are you insuring your horses for?! that seems like an awful lot of money to me.
I got several quotes. My horses together, I paid like $3000 for lol. I dont even ride them. I think the major medical is the most expensive part. I also want liability for both of them. If they get out an trash someones car Id like to know I could pay for that, and since I will show one day. They didnt really break it out for me. I might get a discount for the second horse some places but most didnt include it. My horses are 11 and 10 months. One isnt rideable and one isnt even broke yet. I know it wont cover my mares preexisting condition but I just want to know if she gets into an accident or colics it will be covered.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
In the UK it is commonplace to insure the horse for
vets fees
death
third party liability
theft of horse
theft of tack
death of horse.
loss of use of horse.
injury to rider

The cost varies according to age, value, insured components, and usage.

For me my horse (value $7500) cost in USD $70 per month

In the UK I would never be without it.

You'll find cover from several international insurance companies
- do a Google but make sure you buy from a company with a good reputation. You'll never know if you have a good company till you make your first claim.

B G

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got several quotes. My horses together, I paid like $3000 for lol. I dont even ride them. I think the major medical is the most expensive part. I also want liability for both of them. If they get out an trash someones car Id like to know I could pay for that, and since I will show one day. They didnt really break it out for me. I might get a discount for the second horse some places but most didnt include it. My horses are 11 and 10 months. One isnt rideable and one isnt even broke yet. I know it wont cover my mares preexisting condition but I just want to know if she gets into an accident or colics it will be covered.
Waw, I would be going somewhere else. You shouldn't be paying for even half that if you had 2 horse insured for the same amount as your first horse :shock:

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Same I want to insure my new horse eventually. Last year my horse was hit and killed by a car and just think if I had insurance I would probably get confinsation for the death of my horse

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
lol first of all im to young to insure, lol so its up to my parents. but i dont think we ever will, my parents can pay for vet bills if rena ever gets hurt for some reason. i think once i move out and pay for my horse then i might get her insured, if i have the money, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts