The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

see how i lost my balance over the jump?
that's never happened to me before D:
did he do a mini buck or something and i didn't see it?
he did have a huge bucking fest as soon as we landed.
seriously he bucked at least 5 times, then i flew off, then he ran away bucking.
what happened over this jump?! :/ i think he did a small buck thing and that's why I lost my balance

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
looks like you ducked over the fence & banged on his back pretty hard. thats why he bucked.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
Okay.. your jumping position has to start with a really steady, strong base of support - your leg. Your leg is not solid, so it slipped forwards on approach when you got left behind. Things snowballed from there, you landed heavy in the saddle, maybe your horse is slightly back-sore, or the saddle doesn't quite fit, so the landing was a little rough and he blew up bucking?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks ally! :) i think that's what happened. i landed on his back too hard and he flipped.
i need to work on my leg a LOTTT. haha

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My opinion is the fact that when you slam down on his back, you also catch his mouth a lot. That combined with slamming on his back, will make him blow up pretty bad.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thank you nells! :)
i don't take offensive from your crit, cause i know you mean it in a nice way<3
i think i need to push my hands up more when im jumping?

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
My opinion is the fact that when you slam down on his back, you also catch his mouth a lot. That combined with slamming on his back, will make him blow up pretty bad.
I believe Nellie has a point with this as well... and you're using a curb bit, which is pretty harsh as well.
TOR, I think you're being very mature for the critiques, bravo! That attitude will help your riding more than anything.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Good for you girl! Way to take critique and learn from it. Goodness we need more people willing to see their mistakes, the world would be a better place!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I’d suggest you don’t jump anymore until you’ve solidified your basics on the flat. It’s not fair to your horse; you hit him in the mouth, are sitting on his back when it just comes up for the apex of the (admittedly small) jump and then slam down on his back again when he pops you out of the tack.

You need a strong base of support and an independent seat and hand before you think of jumping. Work on your two point at the walk and trot and canter (with and without stirrups), get the weight down in your heels and get your leg more solid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.