The Horse Forum banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yeah, that sounds about the same as when my boss had to put a colicing horse down and have it removed... I think. It was a long while ago.

Haha. That's so neat. X]

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
His had 80 acres and all his animals were free range. The taste alone is enough to make me hate store bought meat, but I swear some of that taste was just the contentment of it all, knowing these animals were so cared for and respected.

I swear to return to that way of life someday.
This is OT, but that reminds me of when I went on the Special K diet (that stuff is delicious, so it was no hardship on my part) for three weeks and drank largely water, whereas before I was kind of an all-soda drinker. I accidentally ordered a coke when I went out to lunch....it tasted DISGUSTING. That weekend, I was making myself a sandwich from pre-packaged roast beef, and I could smell the salt and additives from across the kitchen. It was an eye opener for sure!

·
Registered
91 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
not to mention U.S. slaughter houses where very humane the process was exactly the same used to slaughter hundreds of cattle a day, this method was approved by American Veterinary Medial Association and American Association of Equine Practitioners.
Horses are not cattle. They are generally taller and have longer, more mobile necks. This makes it easy for them to avoid the bolt gun. In the report they did last year, CBC stated that it takes more tries to get a horse down than a cow. In addition, horses crammed into close quarters kick each other whereas cattle don't.

Now I'm afraid I'm going to have to drop out of this thread... I'm moving on Sunday and just got a temporary job. I was counting on having more time to pack! If some of you want to believe that this means you've "won" the debate that's fine by me.

I will reiterate one more time though (because while I don't mind "losing" I don't like being misquoted) - I'm NOT saying that sending horses to slaughter is profitable in and of itself. I'm saying that it frees up space in the pasture significantly faster than selling unwanted horses individually. If sending horses to slaughter didn't benefit equine businesspeople in some way they wouldn't do it. That is all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay, quick deaths and I am simply amazed that people think using the captive bolt is quick...and HUMANE?The penetrating captive bolt followed by immediate exsanguination(bleeding out)has been the preferred method of acheiving insensibility of equines in American Slaughterhouses since the early 1980's...The mode of action of penetrating captive bolt gun is CONCUSSION and TRAUMA to the brain. Do you folks that own horses and Be Honest, beleive that your horse can sence trouble? Ya know that special gift they have as humans do , that something is wrong and your feel fear....cont..this requires that it be held FIRMLY against the surface of the HORSES HEAD over the inteneded site...Now I can go on and on as to the suffering , FEAR, TORTURE THAT THESE horseS ENDURE....AQHA, someone referred that this is a great way to get rid of those unwanted horses....OVERBREEDING IS ONE OF THE biggest reasons there are soooo many unwanted horses...along with race horses...OKay, the lets eat a horse issue, tainted with meds, bute and so on...did you read the label on them....not meant for humans..I really hope to GOD you all open your hearts and start getting the facts. Also, if I hear another person say it is the sick and starving horses that are sent to slaughter, think again, well take a look at the rescues...Pregnant Mares, filly's/colt/s/Many quarter horses and Racehorses and the racehorses have the tatoo, what is left after being sliced with a box cutter....Dear Lord, I am so sorry for what people do to the animals you created for us...Look the word slaughter up in the dictionary, I never needed to...Look up the word HUMANE, I have never had to..Look up the word COMPASSION AND LOVE, again I never had to..Look up the word EUTHANIZATION, God Help The Horses and God please let people start acting Humanely and open their heart and fill their brains with knowledge, AMEN
PS I did not even touch the gory parts, I leave that up to you..When you know now, if you do, that something is wrong and you turn a deaf ear and a blind eye, you are also committing the sad and inhumane treatment of HORSES...:(

·
Banned
5,892 Posts
Okay, quick deaths and I am simply amazed that people think using the captive bolt is quick...and HUMANE?The penetrating captive bolt followed by immediate exsanguination(bleeding out)has been the preferred method of acheiving insensibility of equines in American Slaughterhouses since the early 1980's...The mode of action of penetrating captive bolt gun is CONCUSSION and TRAUMA to the brain. Do you folks that own horses and Be Honest, beleive that your horse can sence trouble? Ya know that special gift they have as humans do , that something is wrong and your feel fear....cont..this requires that it be held FIRMLY against the surface of the HORSES HEAD over the inteneded site...Now I can go on and on as to the suffering , FEAR, TORTURE THAT THESE horseS ENDURE....AQHA, someone referred that this is a great way to get rid of those unwanted horses....OVERBREEDING IS ONE OF THE biggest reasons there are soooo many unwanted horses...along with race horses...OKay, the lets eat a horse issue, tainted with meds, bute and so on...did you read the label on them....not meant for humans..I really hope to GOD you all open your hearts and start getting the facts. Also, if I hear another person say it is the sick and starving horses that are sent to slaughter, think again, well take a look at the rescues...Pregnant Mares, filly's/colt/s/Many quarter horses and Racehorses and the racehorses have the tatoo, what is left after being sliced with a box cutter....Dear Lord, I am so sorry for what people do to the animals you created for us...Look the word slaughter up in the dictionary, I never needed to...Look up the word HUMANE, I have never had to..Look up the word COMPASSION AND LOVE, again I never had to..Look up the word EUTHANIZATION, God Help The Horses and God please let people start acting Humanely and open their heart and fill their brains with knowledge, AMEN
PS I did not even touch the gory parts, I leave that up to you..When you know now, if you do, that something is wrong and you turn a deaf ear and a blind eye, you are also committing the sad and inhumane treatment of HORSES...:(
This will be my last post on this subject as, dont excuse the pun, im tired of beating a dead horse, slaughtered or otherwise.

Captive bolt is horrible, its scary to the horses and not 100% effective on the first time. If they want the meat, it will be 100% effective eventually. Sorry that this bothers you...

I dont eat horse meat so I dont have to worry about the meds that they get. Part B of that is if there were really a big problem with horses being medicated and then eaten...dont you think something would have showed up by now? An epidemic overseas of sick people who ate horsemeat? I haven't heard a peep.

Look at the rescues eh? This is going to sound cruel and im sure i will get punished for it but really girl...do you think that we, as a rescue, are going to take home the sick and injured when there are others there who have a chance? That is why the pregnant mares, OTTBs AQHA's and all the other horses that 'arent too bad' come home with us. We cannot save them all...we have to leave the bad ones and save the ones with a chance. We are not going to pull a horse with a busted leg and bad conformation out of the line and send a registered QH who just needs groceries. Does the busted leg horse deserve to live...he sure does! The QH deserves to live too. We lose tons of money on rescuing horses...we would lose tons of THOUSANDS of money if we took the sick and injured instead of just the starved and untrained.

As far as the humane, slaughter compasion BS comes into play, i am not turning a deaf ear or a blind eye to anything. I see the state of the horse now that slaughter has gone away and I wish they would change it back. Your ignorance is only making things worse. You want to rant and campaign for horses...find a way to make it better. Slaughter will go on...wheter it be at a factory with trained professionals who know the ins and outs of slaughter or in the back woods with a gun. Unneeded horses are clogging the way. Get a bandaid for your bleeding heart and open your eyes.

Consider me unsubscribed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The bloody truth

It is of utmost importance that you educate yourself on this issue of humanity. Please read this article.

Respect4Horses.com | Learn about the abuse and slaughter of our American horses.

The horse slaughter industry is nothing but a greed motivated fraudulent business that is sucking the healthy fat horses out of society and leaving the unwanted. It is driven by the demand for horse meat in Japan and Europe. If you were a kill buyer, would you want skinny old horses, or would you want nice big horses for which you could get a higher price per pound at the slaughter house? Over 92% (according to USDA numbers) of horses slaughtered are healthy and in the prime of their lives, between the age of 3 and 10.

While we are certainly going through harsh economic times, and nobody denies that we have an overpopulation problem, when you stop to consider the facts more realistically, it becomes clear that horse slaughter is the anti-solution to the problem. The truth is that the abandoned and starving horses are not the ones that end up in the slaughter plants at all, for the simple fact that their owners chose to abandon them rather than send them to slaughter

In addition to the obvious motives of the slaughter industry, the option of horse slaughter in itself in fact has created, is creating and will continue to create an overpopulation problem, by enabling over breeding (lottery breeding) and encouraging a quick turn around and dumping of horses.

We gain nothing by it. Every argument for preserving the barbaric practice of horse slaughter, is greed motivated, un-factual and clearly deceptive. Horse slaughter is unacceptable and beyond un-necessary. It is time to find solutions without compromising our humanity.

Certain questions need to be asked. Should we stop doling out millions of dollars in breeding incentives each year? Should we convert those breeding incentives into euthanasia funds?
The cost of euthenizing a horse humanely is equivalent to the cost of taking care of a horse. Therefore, this costs is immediately recuperated the next month after the horse is gone.
Is this really too much to ask for a creature who gives us his all every single day of his life? a creature on whose back we built this country?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This will be my last post on this subject as, dont excuse the pun, im tired of beating a dead horse, slaughtered or otherwise.

Captive bolt is horrible, its scary to the horses and not 100% effective on the first time. If they want the meat, it will be 100% effective eventually. Sorry that this bothers you...

I dont eat horse meat so I dont have to worry about the meds that they get. Part B of that is if there were really a big problem with horses being medicated and then eaten...dont you think something would have showed up by now? An epidemic overseas of sick people who ate horsemeat? I haven't heard a peep.

Look at the rescues eh? This is going to sound cruel and im sure i will get punished for it but really girl...do you think that we, as a rescue, are going to take home the sick and injured when there are others there who have a chance? That is why the pregnant mares, OTTBs AQHA's and all the other horses that 'arent too bad' come home with us. We cannot save them all...we have to leave the bad ones and save the ones with a chance. We are not going to pull a horse with a busted leg and bad conformation out of the line and send a registered QH who just needs groceries. Does the busted leg horse deserve to live...he sure does! The QH deserves to live too. We lose tons of money on rescuing horses...we would lose tons of THOUSANDS of money if we took the sick and injured instead of just the starved and untrained.

As far as the humane, slaughter compasion BS comes into play, i am not turning a deaf ear or a blind eye to anything. I see the state of the horse now that slaughter has gone away and I wish they would change it back. Your ignorance is only making things worse. You want to rant and campaign for horses...find a way to make it better. Slaughter will go on...wheter it be at a factory with trained professionals who know the ins and outs of slaughter or in the back woods with a gun. Unneeded horses are clogging the way. Get a bandaid for your bleeding heart and open your eyes.

Consider me unsubscribed.
Well it is to bad you decided to consider yourself unsubscribed...You really did not read what I wrote, especially about the horses that go to slaughter...wow, cotton in those ears...and dear, Europe has been pulling horse meat off their shelves becuase of NOW finding out that there is MEDS in the HOrses MEAT and, dear they are upset about slaughter and how American Horses are being treated, dear.So I believe you should start reading and stop being such a un know it all....uinscribe all you want, but please make yourself knowlegeable, nicely...for the horses..dear

121 - 131 of 131 Posts