The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was cause for a text to farrier to come back out. Last several shoeings he's left toes long. Ices feet look horrible just not except able when his feet looked good before this new year.

I'm livid I Know this farrier can do good work. But apparently being in a hurry and just slapping shoes back on leaving toes & heels a mile long is ok..

Well it has cost me needing a new helmet after today's ride. It's cost my horse banged up knees. When he caught his long toe on a rock that made him literally fall down. I went flying off over his head an bless his heart he totally avoided landing on me.

I'm a little banged up myself landing in rocks well hurts my helmet is cracked. I have a bit of a headache but I am ok just a little sore.

Picture of ices front legs after his fall. I washed his knees off good with soap. Then cold hosed them for 10 minutes. We were 4 miles from home when this happened.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ouch, that's terrible! Sure hope you guys are ok. His feet do look long. Bad farriers are what caused me to learn how to trim my own horses feet and leave him barefoot. Saved me tons of money and we have no more problems. If you need shoes on him though then that's different and I really hope your farrier will make things right. Good ones are out there--we finally did find a couple guys we like but I still trim my old horse.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Having my mare trip hard and nearly go down - twice - was finally the wake up call I needed a few weeks ago to admit that her toes were being left too long despite me asking directly to address it. Trying out a new farrier in two weeks. I’m really feeling torn up because I genuinely like the guy I’ve been using for years, but the scraped up knees made me feel even worse.

Be sure you take care of yourself too-head injuries are nothing to fool around with!

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Gosh, I’m sure glad you were wearing a helmet.

I’m glad Ice’s injuries aren’t worse than what they are — Imdont blame you for being livid.

Unless that reset is into weeks and Ice grows hoof really fast, those are terrible looking hooves.

I know you live fairly remote in terms of professional care for your horses so The Link Queen is giving you another link:)

Here‘s the Farrier Section on New Horse.com

Click on the blue button that says “narrow by region”.

I might go so far as to look for therapeutic farrier’s as they often travel further than the general practice farriers.

To repeat myself, if that reset is recent, those toes are abominable. Also, I am dead against slick shoes, I stopped using them in late 1990’s when I learned about St. Croix rim shoes. They offer the horse a lot more stability on blacktop and in the rocks. They don’t need borium but I did have the farrier put a couple of borium head nails in because I rode in some pretty rocky places, including rivers:)

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
How long ago was he shod? Those hooves look way overgrown they are growing over the shoes.

Reactions: bsms and gottatrot

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
So sorry about the accident. Glad neither of you were hurt worse!

Poor farrier work is also why I learned to trim a few years ago. If your horse has a reliable shoe size, you can even learn to put shoes on. I never learned to shape shoes, but have bought my horse's size and nailed them on myself, back when I used shoes.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was done 2 or 3 weeks ago feet really didn't look much better then now. His feet are a reliable size.

He's getting his feet re done here next week. Most of farriers on list are to far south. Ones further north I've used at some point an quit them.

Really not into doing my own trimming shoeing. Reason I hire it done.

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
ramboo don't you work at a barn, in a workers position?
What about that farrier?
Is it someone you have used before or is it your current farrier?
It might be something to consider if the work is better than you currently are showing that the day of farrier at your work barn you haul in yours, take a hour or so to haul them back home once their feet are done and you return to work and work the extra hours to get your work done...
All though depends upon who the farrier is, how their work is accomplished and if your "boss" would allow, but it might give you a option for your horses care you might not have otherwise.

I also have to agree the feet are in rough shape and the shoes for being 2 - 3 weeks old are junk.
Toes are blown and clinches appear loose which is not a good fit....
I rode as a kid on roads everyday to get to trails so know full well what shoes look like at what point in the shoeing cycle...and what hooves trimmed should resemble...
As you said, someones been cheating and you and Ice have paid the price...
For that I'm sorry.
New helmet now needed it thankfully did its job for you to be here to vent and Ice is scraped up {watch for the road pebbles embedded in those knee tissues}...he will be sore without doubt for a few days....
Take good care of both of you...vent away you're entitled!!
🐴

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
If those shoes were set less than a month ago, i highly recommend never to use that farrier again, ever! Do you have pic of the sole? Your farrier may be doing a lot of harm to your horse, would be like you wearing shoes too small for you, then jogging. From that picture, I see no attempt to shape the shoe to the hoof & very little hoof prep. Also, a telltale sign, no evidence of pride of workmanship, no frame, takes only a minute.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
@horselovinguy yes I work at a barn who uses a different farrier then I do. He'd probably come out, if not yeah I could haul my horses over to barn. BO would have no issues with it.

No pics of sole can't get any he's wearing pads. Like I said farrier has done really good work before so I'll give him another chance.. I'm running out of farriers to try.

He some how injured his eye yesterday. His eye is tearing an he's holding it shut. Think fly mask poked into his eye.

He was trotting fast when he tripped so yeah, we both hit the ground with force. Yeah I'm a bit livid and farrier is going to fix his feet!! he's very capable. Not done like they should be I flat won't pay.

I'm tired of hiring farriers they do good work then after a half a year they start slacking. It's either fix his feet or your fired. Then it's called good luck finding yet another farrier to have same problems within a year or less.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Sorry to read this :< I have been on the receiving end of slapstick shoeing as well but it took me having various farriers to finally notice the difference AND this forum of course with all the problems and insights that come up. And of course some of the worst jobs done were when I wasn't there coz work or they were running behind. But when I'm right there asking questions I was always impressed with their work. That shoe job is pretty darn disgraceful - once we had an issue with farriers at first yard and she went 8 weeks (horror!) and that is kinda what they looked like. At 8 weeks! But even then I could still see rim, are yours are too small? On the upside I did get knee boots because I'm terrified of this sort of thing - road rash, too. So glad your helmet broke and that you had one on!

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
He's wearing pads? Oh lord. I would still like to see the sole, I can tell how much the shoe was shaped, by the looks of it, pad was shaped to the shoe, hoof was rasped to fit all of that. The reason the wall is coming over the sides, the shape of a new keg shoe.

Reactions: gottatrot

·
Registered
691 Posts
Having my mare trip hard and nearly go down - twice - was finally the wake up call I needed a few weeks ago to admit that her toes were being left too long despite me asking directly to address it. Trying out a new farrier in two weeks. I’m really feeling torn up because I genuinely like the guy I’ve been using for years, but the scraped up knees made me feel even worse.

Be sure you take care of yourself too-head injuries are nothing to fool around with!
My horse DID trip and go down, resulting in a broken neck for me. STILL it took me years to fire my farrier (I know now what I didn't know then) even though he was allowing the horse to go platter-footed.

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
I have had an amazing farrier for 30 years, the main reason why I can trim and shoe my own horses, he taught me.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
He's wearing pads? Oh lord. I would still like to see the sole, I can tell how much the shoe was shaped, by the looks of it, pad was shaped to the shoe, hoof was rasped to fit all of that. The reason the wall is coming over the sides, the shape of a new keg shoe.
And I’ll betcha-betcha they are old time leather, which is the worst for the health of the hoof. With all the new pliable material available, leather pads should be in a museum.

Joker has “a padding” directly against the sole and frog. It is DIM with copper sulfate crystals rolled into it. A pliable plastic pad is nailed into his plastic pliable shoe and covers everything.

Early on, before I started ordering my own stuff, the farrier was out of DIM and did put leather pads on Joker. They lasted two weeks before I had her come out and take them off. Not only were they not doing what they were supposed to, his hooves smelled.

And yes, I did have all the needed materials here and I continue to order everything, including his Versa shoes— pay me now or pay me later, lol. I only pay for reset because I buy everything:).

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No not leather pads there hard plastic like pads. He needs sole protection or he stone bruises even shod.

We shall see what farrier does when he comes out next week. If he fails to fix mess he created I will not pay! He's like every farrier I've used feet look fantastic until they don't. Never fails this farrier was highly recommended.

Guess my horses aren't good enough to do good job on. After all there just trail horses that are fancy trained. Spin slid stops ,side pass light an soft in face. Can cut cows Or do a reining pattern.

Because we just trail ride there feet don't matter, cause after all there just trail horses. So a lousy trim/ shoe job is good enough for our just trail horses!!

·
Registered
14,640 Posts
I'm sorry, but I think this farrier should have his tools taken away from him. It's like a chef cooking up maggoty seafood to diners.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
@rambo99 just looking at the toes and what can be seen of the shoes, there is a lot of changing to Ice’s hooves that farrier needs to make.

I’m surprised he uses plastic pads, lol. So does my farrier BUT the DIM (dental impression material) is is between the pad and the sole.

Given the lack of professionals near you, I sure as Hades would find a well qualified therapeutic farrier and ask for a phone consultation with detailed instructions as to what your farrier needs to be doing. It won’t be free but it may be the saving grace, given the predicament you are in.

I might even be so bold as to call clear to California to UC Davis’ equine division. I know they have a therapeutic farrier because I’ve seen the website but it’s been awhile. If they can’t help, they may be able to recommend someone in your state that can.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have a new farrier coming out tomorrow morning. I'll use him for a few trim/shoeing cycles. Then use a different farrier for a few trim/shoeing cycles.

Have 6 farriers that are good I've used everyone of them before.So will play the change up farriers that way they always do a good job. Only use them for at most 3 trim/shoe cycles. Come November I usually have shoes pulled then don't do them again till spring.

Once cold weather comes ground freezes they hardly grow any hoof.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts