The Horse Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sorry to hear you have been having a tough time! I too have had such a difficult time finding a good farrier in my area. I ended finding a barefoot trimmer that is amazing and keeps up to date on current hoof and nutrition related research. They also teach me how to take care of my horse's hooves myself and what to look for.

It's funny that as we learn more about their own hooves, our options of farriers become much more limited. I've personally found that many of the farriers I have had out have had an ego to boot. They generally didn't take well to suggestions, sometimes not even from the vet. I found 1-2 decent ones, but they were so in demand due to so few farriers here that they also started using short cuts with time.

Hopefully one of the new farriers coming out will succeed expectations :)

·
Premium Member
23,899 Posts
For some reason I can't see the hoof pics everyone's talking about.

Yes, bad farriers is very frustrating & very common. But if he's done a bad job last few times & you've known but just accepted it, and this job is weeks old, I wouldn't blame the farrier for your fall.

·
Premium Member
23,899 Posts
Have a new farrier coming out tomorrow morning. I'll use him for a few trim/shoeing cycles. Then use a different farrier for a few trim/shoeing cycles.

Have 6 farriers that are good I've used everyone of them before.So will play the change up farriers that way they always do a good job. Only use them for at most 3 trim/shoe cycles. Come November I usually have shoes pulled then don't do them again till spring.

Once cold weather comes ground freezes they hardly grow any hoof.
Not a good plan. If you find a good farrier, stick with them! If your horses feet get left untrimmed for many months at a time, they may well be substandard to start with in spring. If you then have the horse shod, esp if back-to-back-to-back then the farrier is likely to have to make some compromises - that may be the reason the farriers seems to get worse over time.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
@loosie Here's pic I originally posted. I had repeatedly asked farrier to shorten toes. He had done a really good job prior to major slacking. He does both horses of mine cinders feet have looked great short toes short heels. Both get done same schedule. So there's that I say it is farriers fault. When he left my horses feet a mess intensional maybe or might be slacking because he was tired??

whatever the reason it's not justifiably in my book. I'm still hurting an cost me a vet bill for ice.

NO current pics will try to get some later here. They don't go untrimmed for many months during warm season winter time they don't grow hoof ,growth doest start till late March. So a good trim last till then. We live in the frozen tundra ground freezes 4 feet down.

·
Premium Member
23,899 Posts
Yeah, wasn't excusing bad farriery, just saying there could be... mitigating circumstances too. But yeah, if you've been repeatedly asking, knowing he's not doing it, that he's doing a bad job but you keep getting him back & you're riding him anyway, it's not exactly his fault that the horse fell over with you...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, wasn't excusing bad farriery, just saying there could be... mitigating circumstances too. But yeah, if you've been repeatedly asking, knowing he's not doing it, that he's doing a bad job but you keep getting him back & you're riding him anyway, it's not exactly his fault that the horse fell over with you...
Had him back 2 times horse is on a 5 week schedule. First time he didn't shorten toes I thought ok. I gave him one more try same thing so I used someone else.

Horse needs worked to keep weight in check an avoid issues with pssm that he was diagnosed I think over a year ago. Lunging isn't something I like doing daily with a horse.

Yeah he gets exercise being on pasture but not enough. It's a real balancing act with diet an exercise.

This horse needs way more managing then I had ever planned. He's not one you throw out to pasture and forget about.

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Ice is kind of like Joker in that he is a “Humpty Dumpty” horse to try and keep together. When one thing goes wrong, it affects everything else.

If Joker isn’t happy with his shoe reset, he will try to compensate, which almost always throws his twice fractured sacrum out of whack, then goes his neck. Now he has developed arthritis in two spots on the RF, so the farrier now has to deal with that.

Yes, these types of horses really are a balancing act and a frustrating one at that.

@rambo99 be careful switching farrier’s with too much frequency. They talk amongst themselves. Don’t tiss them off until you end up without a farrier.

It’s a sticky wicket for sure. You may want to have a Plan G (#7);in the cell phone just in case:)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Here's a picture of feet after being done yesterday. Not a picture for a critique but not asking for one. I long gave up on asking for critiques. Went riding yesterday for first time since Thursday last week.

His confidence got rattled a bit he wasn't his fast forward self. He was happy to go cinders speed slow. He usually leaves cinder in the dust.

My guess is farrier I used yesterday I'll use till end of riding season. Pull shoes in mid November. Then can ride horses barefoot for winter,once ground is snow covered.

I'll see come spring who I get out to shoe horses. I don't re schedule when farrier is here,that way I can use a different farrier if I want. Just call 2 to 3 weeks in advance to schedule an appointment.

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts