The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. I'm on the western side of things, and we don't do that.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I clip my horse because in winter he sweats quite a bit, so it is easier to cool him down, and there's no long winter hair to get all sweaty and have to dry out. I have shown western pleasure before and since body clipping is frowned upon in that world we would keep our horses blanketed with slinkies and the whole nine yards to try and keep their winter coat to a minimum. We would also leave lights on for longer in the barn, since light schedules affect coat growth also.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I clipped my mare for the first time this year. We'd starting hunting and being a winter sport it can be cold. Clipping means when they sweat they dry a lot faster. So it actually keeps them warm.

I leave the saddle on when I clip so that section I do need to towel dry.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm a predominately western rider, and I've clipped my horses. I know tons of others who do too. They're body clipped to help them cool out in winter, and also for aesthetic reasons. Other clipping like muzzles, ears, legs is done as show grooming.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a predominately western rider, and I've clipped my horses. I know tons of others who do too. They're body clipped to help them cool out in winter, and also for aesthetic reasons. Other clipping like muzzles, ears, legs is done as show grooming.
Posted via Mobile Device
I clip muzzles ears and legs. I meant body clipping. And thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I clipped my mare for the first time this year. We'd starting hunting and being a winter sport it can be cold. Clipping means when they sweat they dry a lot faster. So it actually keeps them warm.

I leave the saddle on when I clip so that section I do need to towel dry.[/QUOTE

Oh okay, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I explained body clipping in my answer too :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I clip my horse because in winter he sweats quite a bit, so it is easier to cool him down, and there's no long winter hair to get all sweaty and have to dry out. I have shown western pleasure before and since body clipping is frowned upon in that world we would keep our horses blanketed with slinkies and the whole nine yards to try and keep their winter coat to a minimum. We would also leave lights on for longer in the barn, since light schedules affect coat growth also.
That makes perfect sense. Thanks :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Because I was tired of waiting three hours for my sweaty horse to dry after a one hour ride at 25*F so I could turn him back out. :) Clipped, he sweats less AND dries faster, and between that and a cooler, he's usually dry enough to blanket and/or turn out by the time I'm done with my barn chores after a ride so I can go thaw out myself.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yep. Clipping is not discipline specific. It's horse specific.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
36,319 Posts
If you keep a horse as an all year around riding animal then clipping makes everything so much easier - they can be kept dry & mud free in the field (very important if you live in a high rain area and don't have several hours to wait while a very muddy horse dries off enough to be brushed over
If you hunt or compete indoors you need to keep the same level of fitness that you do in the summer and you can't do that on a horse that's dripping with sweat because its got a coat like a polar bear

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay thanks guys. That makes perfect sense, I ride my horse all year around, I just never ride him hard enough in the winter to make him sweat.
Are there different styles of clipping for different disciplines?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Not exactly different types for different disciplines... More along the lines of a bigger clip, the bigger the work load. For very light work, a bib clip would do, or a low trace clip. For slightly more strenuous work, a high trace clip or a blanket clip would be appropriate. For medium work, to hard work, and hunter clip, and for very hard work such as hunting twice a week would require a full clip.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not exactly different types for different disciplines... More along the lines of a bigger clip, the bigger the work load. For very light work, a bib clip would do, or a low trace clip. For slightly more strenuous work, a high trace clip or a blanket clip would be appropriate. For medium work, to hard work, and hunter clip, and for very hard work such as hunting twice a week would require a full clip.

Oh okay. I see. Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.