Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waxWWphds5c

I'm browsing around youtube watching some riding and I came across this video that says it is the 2012 Pentathlon World Cup Final.

I expected some incredible riding since it's the "World Cup Final" of all things but the first two riders look absolutely atrocious. I feel like I could ride better than them, and I've only had 12 lessons!

For example, the first woman, why is she bouncing around like that? She looks so stiff and in the jumps she's not even attempting to get into the 2-point (jumping) position. Look at 2:31, whats wrong with her?

I've been taught to organize and collect, and have a nice rhythm and connection with the horse. During the jump to go into a two point while giving a little rein. It seems like these riders aren't doing any of this?

The second rider doesn't seem much better. She seems to be jerking forward and backward with her body. I'm pretty new to the sport but I've been taught to be pretty quiet on the saddle between the jumps and slightly leaning backwards before getting into the 2-point during the jump. How come they all look so stiff?

Having said that, since it is the "world cup finals" im sure they MUST be talented... right? Is there something I'm missing?

The comments seem to say they are all horrible as well though...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also, I noticed that they have their backs curved and their shoulders collapsed inward.

shouldnt the backs be arched, shoulders back and heads up?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Because generally the competitors in the Pentathalon are all-round athletes who have learnt only sufficient basics of horse riding to get them around the Pentathalon. They are not horse riders, they are pentathaletes.

I am sure that occasionally there is a competitor who happens to be a decent rider as well, but that is not the norm.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
They're not concerned about position or getting the horse to move correctly. They are concerned about getting through the course. I think they even draw the horses at random beforehand.

While pentathletes are awesome in their own right, I wouldn't look at them for pointers on riding.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, didn't realize this. For some reason I thought the "pentathlon" in this context meant that there were 5 different equestrian disciplines, rather than 5 completely different sports altogether. My mistake.

Im surprised they do this, some of those riders seemed like they had never been on a horse before and were just kind of "brute-forcing" their way through the course. doesn't seem safe for the horse?

·
Registered
217 Posts
They're not concerned about position or getting the horse to move correctly. They are concerned about getting through the course. I think they even draw the horses at random beforehand.

While pentathletes are awesome in their own right, I wouldn't look at them for pointers on riding.

Yeah, they get to ride them for 20 minutes, over a few jumps, and then they go in the ring.

I was surprised when I watched the most recent Summer Olympics, only one of the men fell off (there were quite a few falls in the women), and his score wasn't even the worst. There were a lot more falls in the Beijing Olympics.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
I've been riding since I was a wee one and I won't jump fences that high - those chicks have some serious balls of steel LOL.

In all honesty - the riding is NOT that bad. They stay on, the horse goes around the course. The jumps are not so high that the horse can't figure it out. Yes there are death grips on the face and some interesting styles. If the horse seriously was in pain or danger it would stop and not move, or leave, or buck the rider off. Horses are not small defenseless animals. In some eq classes I've seen - these girls could easily pin.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I agree that they can't be too bad if they're making it around these courses, however, if I tried to ride my mare like that she would have some major objections, and if my hands and seat were that unsteady and not moving with the horse, my instructor would be taking me back to flat work. It's clear that horseback riding is not the focus of this sport. It appears to be just one small obstacle to be overcome, whether it's overcome super well or not.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Lol they should do dressage instead of jumping! Then there's more than the timer to give you points and the incentive to learn to ride would be better?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Not going to lie, that rider at 30 minutes really worried me though. That was not a beginners horse and was throwing a tantrum about having his mouth bopped so much.

I am glad at least, that it appeared that all of the horses were in snaffles.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Lol they should do dressage instead of jumping! Then there's more than the timer to give you points and the incentive to learn to ride would be better?
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL.
2 reasons though- for the non horsey people jumping is more fun to watch (I watch fantastic dressage videos and gush about the moments and my bf is like...well now it's going faster.. right? lol).
Dressage is more difficult. Don't bash me, not saying show jumping is easy AT ALL. Just saying for these athletes that the amount of training required to ride a FEI dressage horse and make it look good is considerably longer and harder than teaching someone to stay on over a jump. It doesn't need to look pretty you only need to stay on and clear the jump. Obviously you need to advance into strides and counting and setting the horse up (which I see a lot of not happening here), and for a real rider to do it properly is extremely difficult, but I think it's easier to short cut on. Advanced dressage you can't do without an extremely fine-tuned understanding of the horse and partnership with the horse (also, remember they are drawing random horses) and an extremely trained body to cue the horse with the slightest whisper of a touch. It's all about finesse which is more difficult to develop than a sport where if need be you hang on and go.

I see some good I see some bad, but some riders are better than others and as said I don't think it's the focus of the event, there are probably very few people who can say "I'm a horse back rider that does pentathalons" I'm sure you have lots of "I'm a swimmer who.." "I'm a runner who.." (off to guess at what the other sports are...aha! "The modern pentathlon, invented by Pierre de Coubertin (father of the Modern Olympics), was a variation on the military aspect of the Ancient pentathlon. It focused on the skills required by a late-19th-century soldier, with competitions in shooting, swimming, fencing, equestrianism, and cross country running." Sounds cool!)

If I had a horse at that level the last thing I would do would be put them in a random drawing for this event..

Also, why don't we have a horse pentathlon. We already have our triathlon.. Let's see... dressage, show jumping, cross country, reining and endurance! Thoughts?

Those poor horses lol.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Horse at 12 is flying... I like it lol, but scary. They may not be perfect but I'd be way worse!

18 she actually falls off, but I see her correct the horse appropriately several times. I think she does well.

21..awkward?

They pick the worst replays.

32.. yeah Endiku. I felt bad for her too. WTH was with the guy laughing though? She could of been hurt. I actually got here from a thread with this: Horse Goes Nuts During Equestrian Portion Of Modern Pentathlon, Turns It Into Wild Bronco Rodeo Competition

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Unfortunately, show jumping is one of those sports where you can ride badly and still succeed. It's a perfect example of why so many people say that riding is easy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.