The Horse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are ab 10 beginners per trail ride and i am one of the more experienced riders that help out the beginners exept for when i cant. Most horses tend to bite or kick my horse no matter what hes doing i could have him walking and minding hes business yet horses will go at him. My horse doesnt enjoy trailing like he used to any ideas help thx :)
Fyi he is not mine i lease him and i cant go on trail ride w/out the group as they always book the same days i do.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Is he in a different pasture from the other horses, this means basically a stranger to the other horses who are all in one pasture or group and they know each other well but not your horse?
If he is a stranger to them this could be the reason they are aggressive toward him.
In other words "we are all buddies and we don't like you"

·
Registered
10,945 Posts
My horse doesnt enjoy trailing like he used to any ideas help thx :)
Fyi he is not mine i lease him and i cant go on trail ride w/out the group as they always book the same days i do.
It could be he is not well and the other horses sense that, so they are picking on him.

Many times, when horses become "lazy" about riding out, it's because they have insulin issues -- personal experience and observation of a few friends horses has taught me that.

Is it possible to get the horse's owner to have the vet drawn blood to check the horse's insulin level and also draw blood to check for Cushings? Cushings is a failure of the pituitary glad, which can also slow a horse down and make them seem lazy.

FWIW horses that have become "lazy" and never were, generally have some sort of health issue going on. Blood tests are great for finding out what those might be:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts