The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a foxtrotter gelding that grunts when he is gaiting! :shock:

He has a super fast walk that to-die-for smooth.... his head naturally bobs up an down, and he has these cute little grunts.

Should I be worried? He does that whether I'm bareback or tacked up.

I'm a very light person so I know that's not the prob- and he's very strong.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I have a horse that used to blow through his 'false' nostrils. I think he did it to scare the rider. then I think he did it to pacify himself. Your horse could have an old injury to his throat or larynx, or he just likes the noise and is pacifying himslef

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Hubby's TWH does it too! We also call it "singing". It cracks us up. We were concerned at first but the owner we lease him from says he has done it since he was very young. He is 26 years old now.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Could also just be him breathing out with a little force, like when tennis players grunt when they hit the ball. Horses are funny creatures! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
my mare does ! the vet said she would outgrow it, 3.5years later and she hasnt ! my trainer says shes just whining ;)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Biscuit makes a funny little noise out of his nose when I am riding. The first time I rode him to try him out I told my cousin "what is up with this noise? I don't want a horse with issues". She said he was fine. He is fine but he does make this little huffy puffy noise - especially is he is annoyed or a little nervous. I ride with cousin all the time and she went on a camping/riding trip recently and just cracked up because HER horse was mimicking Biscuit's noise! Her husband said "what is wrong with Elan?" She said "he is missing Biscuit!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts