The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
They won't be forever. They have already made several rule changes. At first you had to put a statement on the registration papers stating the horse was a descendent of a known carrier and then later they added a rule where they had to be tested and the status had to be listed on the registration.

It has also been added to the rules that HYPP is an undesirable trait. So it's going to push them out of the show ring slowly but it will do it. Also, the use of ACE is against the rules and these horses are commonly dosed with ace to help prevent the paralysis episodes.

In the beginning they were put in halter classes because of their massive muscles but that was before people knew about HYPP. By the time they traced it back to Impressive there were already something like 100,000 Impressive foals on the ground....

I have 2 Impressive horses, both are NN. They are nicely built horses and I really enjoy having them.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
What I don't understand is why halter went that direction anyway. Stock horses should be muscular, sure. But it's like they went with "the more extreme, the better." It's become the equivalent of equine body builders. I always thought halter judging should reward the ideal working type horse of the breed it represents. You know, like a QH that could actually go out all day and do a days work on a ranch. How it because such an extreme thing baffles me. And I find the very extreme horses very ugly. And it's not just the bulk, it's like their hip and leg angles are all ultra straight and wonky too.

Nothing personal to anyone who has a NN horse they can actually use. I think that's awesome. I had a Paint one time that probably had some halter breeding (he came without papers so I will never know). But HYPP definitely needs to be bred out. And I personally think halter horses should be sound and fully functional, rideable horses, whatever the breed.

People like to knock Arabians but I have never seen a halter Arabian that I think is as extreme as some of the halter QH's out there.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
It seems ridiculous that somebody would allow a sick horse to show. Anybody know why they let this happen?
The short answer is that HYPP is very intertwined with halter horse bloodlines and it is thought some of the extreme muscle mass is actually a result of HYPP. For a long time, it couldn't be tested for. And now that it is, they would have to throw out a lot of the horses if they were out-right banned. So they are trying to encourage people to move in the right direction and not breed carriers if possible.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
You mention Arabian halter horses. No they do not breed for muscle - but they do breed for an overly dished face. Every breed has its issues - in todays society most breeds have horses bred for a specific discipline. All around horses are coming back in a small way in the AQHA but there are still those that breed for HUS horses that are HUGE as in 17H at 2 and 3yrs old. Western Pleasure horses and reiners wtih a very low headset. In the Tennessee Walking Horse world some are bred to be a little pacey for the big lick classes. Breeders and exhibitors go for what wins the ribbons (and in some cases money) Stallion owners stand stallions that will earn them good breding fees. Humans have genetically modified (through breeding) all companion animals and meat animals to suit trends or needs. This is nothing new.

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
They have the new performance halter classes that seem to be a little more popular now anyway.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Glad im not the only one that feels this way. 😅 I saw someone offering a rather pricey HYPP paint filly for sale on facebook. It was almost like they were advertising the HYPP as a positive quality.

I am rather upset that these horses are still being purposefully bred, with such a awful condition.

Halter QHs are just another complaint entirely. Proportions are just so weird.

I purposely got a nice ranch bred QH without any halter lines. Hoping to do barrels or jumps when shes older and i find out what she likes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts