Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now this one is puzzling me.

I wanted to contact the previous owners of the horse that I bought, to see if I could follow her lineage down and find out more about her breeding.

The woman I bought the horse from, said she was not able to tell me, because when she purchased her, part of the conditions of the sale was that she not reveal the previous owner's name.

I did find out that my mare could have been registered when she was born, but the owners of her Dam did not pay the owners of the Stud the stud fee, so they refused to issue papers for the foal.

Would that situation be the reason these people don't want their name revealed?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I don't want people calling me and bothering me about a horse I sold. I don't want to get an extended family along with every horse I sell. However, I don't go to any lenths to keep my name secret and I have had people call me about horses that I have once owned. Most are fine people but every once in a while you get somebody that wants to either chat for an hour about how they love the horse or tell you how poorly trained it is and all the mistakes you've made. The fact of the matter is that you have the horse you have and you should deal with it the way it is. Very rarely will knowing anything about a horses past help you with riding or training it.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
^^ i like calling horses' breeders to find out how they were as a foal. And I suppose you should like that your horses are in good ownership. :)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I can see how some people don't want to be bothered by certain types of people, but what's wrong with someone wanting to know the history of their horse, especially if no information has been provided?
Would it not be easier for the sellers/breeders to just provide all the information they can on each horse they sell to begin with?

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I would love love love love to hear from a few of the owners of some of the horses that i have had. It would make my day to see how they are doing.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Smart!

Obviously did it because of people like you. If an arrangement was made during the initial purchase(which was probably was done for money saving purposes), they knew that someone, somewhere along the line would eventually be wanting to do what you want to do, which is to register the horse. I find it quite clever on their part.

Makes sense? in their shoes I would have done the exact same thing.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I work with all types of different breeders. And every single one of them likes to stay in contact with the owners. That way every time there is a success story, they can post it on their website or something and then it will spread the word about their horses. And it shows the owners that you actually give two ****s about them. It's just good business.

Very rarely will knowing anything about a horses past help you with riding or training it.
I'm going to have to severely disagree with this. I think the horses past has almost everything to do with riding and training him.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Obviously did it because of people like you. If an arrangement was made during the initial purchase(which was probably was done for money saving purposes), they knew that someone, somewhere along the line would eventually be wanting to do what you want to do, which is to register the horse. I find it quite clever on their part.

Makes sense? in their shoes I would have done the exact same thing.
How does it save money? And how is it clever of the breeder?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Ir would make my day if P.Ds owners called me up to tell him how hes doing and ask stuff. I would just love it! I understand if you are a big time trainer/breeder or something and you sell hundreds of horses, but like White foot said, wouldnt it be nice to here how your horses are doing every once in a while?

My2Geldings, i dont really understand your post... how would that benefit the breeder not to have one of their hroses registered?

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Ir would make my day if P.Ds owners called me up to tell him how hes doing and ask stuff. I would just love it! I understand if you are a big time trainer/breeder or something and you sell hundreds of horses, but like White foot said, wouldnt it be nice to here how your horses are doing every once in a while?

My2Geldings, i dont really understand your post... how would that benefit the breeder not to have one of their hroses registered?
I think it's just good business to call someone up atleast once or so a year or email them just to be updated. That's what I'm trying to understand, looking at it from a buyers perspective the only word I would spread about that breeder is how they conducted bad business.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
^^^ but you don't even now who the breeder is. They never gave out their info. So you can't really spread the word o_O

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
white foot: exactly!, and if a trainer/owner disapeared off the face of the earth after selling me a horse,well,frankly,i would be worried about WHY. do they not care about their horses? did they sell me a bad horse? i knwo its not all like this, but thats what my first thought would be, lol.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
How does it save money? And how is it clever of the breeder?
My statement had nothing to do with the breeder :wink:

Buying an unregistered horse is lying like buying anything unregistered. In some cases a lot cheaper. The only reason someone would turn down breeding and registration privileges.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
My statement had nothing to do with the breeder :wink:

Buying an unregistered horse is lying like buying anything unregistered. In some cases a lot cheaper. The only reason someone would turn down breeding and registration privileges.
I'm still confused. Why is buying an unregistered horse lying?

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I'm still confused. Why is buying an unregistered horse lying?
You asked using my quote, how does it save money. I answered that question. I think you're confusing yourself-that or you quoted the wrong section.
Cheers

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
My2Geldings, I have to say, I don't understand the logic of that post either.

But having said that, I have a registered horse. Well, at one time he was registered. In order to re-register him I would have to pay money to have his foal papers re-issued to me (proof being a bill of sale), then pay extra money to register him again. But in my case, papers weren't issued to me so that I could never race him, should I have an inkling to.

You'd be amazed at what you can find on the internet if you have your horses foal date, and their "official" (albeit unregistered) name, and even better yet, the sire or the dam's name.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I feel that if the breeder or seller can talk to me when I am interested in buying from them then if I have a question or two after the purchase is made it would good business to talk with me. Word of mouth spreads quickly if it is good or bad. If I was blown off by the seller or breeder after the purchase it would make me wonder about them.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If you have questions after the purchase then that's fine but if I sell you a horse and you sell it on to someone else and they call me I may not be thrilled with that. Not to sound cold-hearted but if I was worried about the horses wellfare I would'nt have sold it to the person I did in the first place. I have sold several horses at catalog sales and while I hope they went to good homes they were not horses that I had alot invested in emotionally. If I sold a horse that I had some feeling toward then I would do a private sale. I would not visit and call just to check in. I think that is an irritating thing to do.

As far as my previous comment about knowing a horses past. I think alot of people want to use a horses past as a crutch when thier training is going wrong. "My horse is scared of ropes because he was beaten with them" or "My horse has always done that. Nobody can make him stop" it may be the case that a horse was abused but you still need to get them over things.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Not everyone is like us. Most of the people on this forum love their horses and care about where they wind up. There are a lot of people that don't feel that way about horses. Some people sell horses for the money or to get rid of their problem and don't really care what happens to them beyond that. Another good reason might be if someone where to breed a horse, then refuse to pay the stud fees and sell an unregistered horse with a story that it could have been register...they just want to get rid of the evidence and not get questioned about the situation. Also, there could be those people that sell a horse and swear up and down that it could be registered but (insert a sellers excuse here) when in actuality the horse is just an average run of the mill type horse. Again the seller wouldn't want to be questioned.
My horse has an abusive past. I had to hire a trainer to work with us. Of course I shared that info with her, and she said that I should treat him no differently than any other horse. She said I should just deal with problems as they come up and not treat him as handicap because of his experiences. So far it has proven to be true. That makes me think Kevin is right about not needing to know their past to train them. Originally I probably would have been better off not knowing, because it certainly changed things when I found out. He's doing great now though, and he certainly isn't treated like a victim.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
People bring me horses and then spend an hour telling me all the little details and cute stories about thier horse. I respond politely and smile and nod but I have totally forgotten the stories before thier car is out of sight. The horse is going to tell me what I need to know and it will for sure be the truth.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.