The Horse Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I would have no problem answering an e-mail about a horse I had once owned or trained because as was said before I could answer it when I wanted and go into the amount of detail I wanted. What usually happens is that someone gets my phone number and calls at dinner time and wants to spend hours telling me in minute detail about everything the horse has done in the last 5 years or ask me a dozen silly questions about the horses behavior.

If any of you contact a former owner of one of your horses just keep in mind that they almost certainly have something they would rather be doing so keep it brief and if possible then get an e-mail address and continue in an e-mail.

I do see horses I have trained or sold and I like to see that they're doing well. There are some horses that I would be suprised if they were doing well due to the owners attitude about riding and horses.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Sorry, I was referring to it being registered as a Paint.

According to the APHA, ino order for the foal to be eligible for registry, a Paint's sire and dam must be registered with the American Paint Horse Association, the American Quarter Horse Association, or the Jockey Club (Thoroughbreds). At least one parent must be a registered American Paint Horse.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but it wasn't the lady I bought her from that did not pay the stud fee, it was the people that She bought my horse from that did not pay the fee.
Yes, exactly.

You said that the lady you bought him from (person A) said the people she bought him from (people B) said not to give out their information. Right?
People B is the breeder of your horse. People B is who did not pay the stud fee and probably has some financial dispute with the studs owner.
That is why people B told person A not to give out their information, because they want the whole situation just to go away. Not come back and haunt them.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
If I didn't have the money to pay a stud fee I wouldn't want my name tossed around. That's why she didn't want her name released I would assume.
That's exactly what my post was about. It's the buyer's problem if they buy a horse with little to no information. It's something you need to ask about and look into when you are considering the animal, not AFTER the fact.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I was tracing back Yankee's history I was able to find the address of the man who had owned & raced him for almost 4 years. I wrote him a letter just telling him where his horse was and what he was doing. I didn't expect to hear back from him, but I figured that I would just send it anyway. About a week letter I received a very nice short note saying that he was glad to hear one of his horses was doing well, and that was that. I was thrilled to hear from him but I'm not one of those that is going to call and ask a hundred questions. If I was selling a horse, regardless of one I owned or bred, I would love to continue getting updates on them.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ok, alittle off topic here, but I had to comment on the merle thing.

That is incorrect! Merles can be registered and there is nothing wrong w/ them. That is the main color for australian shepherds. Now if you are going to breed them you should have an understanding of the genetics, they are abit like Frame overo, except it's not lethal. Singly merle is like any other color, but double up on it and that is where there are potential problems, it seems to vary some by breed (seem to be less issues w/ double merle doxies then other breeds), but basicly you will have issues w/ deafness and blindness, alone either of these can be delt w/, but both together maybe not.

Of course it's very easy to prevent, just don't breed merle to merle, and as far as I know great danes and possibly catahoulas are the only two breeds I can think of where it's not discouraged. Now I must point out that breeding merle to merle (or breeding merle at all really) is frowned on in danes, BUT harlequins are a form of merle, and it's perfectly acceptable to breed two harls together, and pretty much the same thing.

And I am the proud owner of a double merle dane (the result of a harl to harl breeding). She is deaf. I don't condone breeding merle to merle, but would happily own another in the future.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Yes, I was thinking of Great Danes. I should have clarified that. There are other breeds where merle is just a coat color and has nothing to do with genetic defects.

However, because of the blindness/deafness issues, deliberately breeding Dane merles is beyond idiotic.

You're going to get merles if you're breeding harlequins, but not having them spayed or neutered when they do occur is ludicrous.

Why would anyone deliberately breed on a dog who has a genetic disposition to produce blind/deaf puppies, or go deaf/blind themselves?

I have a brindle bitch going on 7 y/o and love her dearly, but Danes are walking vet bills even as youngsters, so to knowingly breed on a genetic defect that can be prevented seems stupendously short sighted.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Thank you My2Geldings, she's a really great dog!

Yes, danes are one of the breeds that don't like the merle color, however there is nothing wrong w/ a single Mm merle. HOWEVER, they do breed harl to harl, which genetically is the same thing (as far as merles go)!

·
Registered
481 Posts
You'd be surprised at the number of people you might consider 'reputable' who have culled horses and said nary a word about it.

When someone has big bucks invested in a stallion or mare, they're extremely unlikely to geld/not breed it because it throws a bad one here and there.

That's just the way the world works. Is it right? Dunno, but at least they're not killing them outright anymore, and that's a step in the right direction at least.

Agreed

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but it wasn't the lady I bought her from that did not pay the stud fee, it was the people that She bought my horse from that did not pay the fee.

But I just thought of something: If my horses mother was Egyptian Arabian, and the Stallion was a registered Paint, could they even register the foal? Not as a Paint, right?
The mother wouldn't qualify in order to register the foal even if she was a registered E. Arab.
Or am I wrong?
You can register Pinto

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Yes, if I were looking for a breeding mare, I would certainly do that. I'm more concerned with a good riding horse for now, so it's not a big issue.

Since the registration situation presented itself, I figured I may as well ask the questions and learn from it now.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The family that we bought Norman from acted so heartbroken when we took him, but they haven't contacted us at all since. I find that really weird. I would want to keep in touch with someone who bought a horse from me. I would like to know that the horse is being well cared for. Even just by the occasional E-mail. And I think it's perfectly reasonable for someone to want to know about their horse's past. I would love to hear from my TB's breeder, and I hear she has his baby pictures. I WANT TO SEE THEM. :wink: lol Who wouldn't want to see what their horse looked like as a baby?

·
Registered
892 Posts
I haven't been particularly concerned with horses I have sold, because I'm very cautious over who I sell them too.

However, with that being said, I was particularly attached to a mare I rescued and a difficult pregnancy forced me to sell her. I sold her to a police woman with the promise (and contract) of right of first refusal. A couple of months later I saw her advertised on craigslist of all places. The lady selling her didn't get the price she wanted so gave her to a family member. This was 4 years ago, once a year I email to find out how she's doing and usually get an email within a week or so. But that's a little of a special interest case for me.

Otherwise, in my quest for knowledge, most people I have contacted about the pasts of horses they breed and/or sold have been extremely nice and helpful.

·
Registered
535 Posts
When I bought Paul, I was/am his second owner. The lady who owned him had her mare give birth to him and has all kinds of pictures of him. I have called her once and mailed her a letter once and asked for pictures that I would photocopy and send the orginals back to her next day but I have yet to hear anything. I would really love to get my hands on those photos but I am not going to bug her for them. My loss and it's sad for me.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts