The Horse Forum banner

3661 - 3674 of 3674 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
@bsms, makes sense. I totally realize that I can probably never make a full time job out of anything to do with horses, but hopefully I can still own a stable, or at least teach lessons, and help other kids like me, who can't have their own horse, still be able to ride. I also took a career test thing this year, and a lot of the options for me were like construction, and desk jobs. Neither of which I want, the one option was an agriculture machine operator. Sounds... interesting? I am just not interested in anything else, besides horses and farming. It sucks, because I am supposed to come up with a school plan, and what I am going to do with my future-type-thing for high school this year, and yeah... not going so well!

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,662
I wanted to do something with horses too, but my parents were against it. It was tough because I couldn't see how to afford horses while doing things with horses, when I did not have formal experience.

I just worked a couple years while trying to decide before going to college. Nursing was a job with good pay and flexible hours, with only a three year schooling commitment at the time. So I decided to see if I liked it. I could tell right away it was interesting to my scientific side. Plus as soon as I finished school I had a good income and was ready to get my own horse.

I'll always sympathize with those who love horses but don't have their own. When I was horseless, it seemed very difficult to find opportunities to ride. When I took lessons, I always wanted to keep the horse I rode.

Thankfully, I've been able to let a number of people ride my horses (mostly Amore), and that has made me feel great. I am going to prioritize that my next horse after Amore is one others can also ride.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,663
Good old Murphy's law. Remember how I said the Scoot boots were great?

I turned out Hero with the boots on. Just because we have the long walk on gravel to get to the fields.

Well, it was wet and slippy. Hero was full of beans because it had been storming and judging from the poop distribution, the horses had mainly stayed under their shelter.

When we went down to the field, Smoky did not see us coming at first. Hero noticed this, and he got all excited. "He doesn't see us. Oh boy, wait until he sees us."

Hero hopped up and down on the lead. Then Smoky spotted us and came running and farting all freaked out excited. Hero had known he would do that, so he reared and leaped and pawed.

After a moment, both horses settled and I got them turned out. Hero ran a little, slipped but then he and Amore started grazing.

When I came back an hour later, Hero stood at the fence and...no boots. I searched the field high and low, found one but could not find the other. I will have to do another serious hunt another day.
The boots were just no match for the wet and lumpy field, along with Hero's shenanigans.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
The top strap can be ordered in various colors. Might help in finding them. Gotta wonder if they were at least a little loose. Might need that thin pad to firm them up a bit. Maybe try taking them off without loosening the toe straps. If you can, they are too loose for certain. 'Course a horse can take them off where you could not.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,667
We are having two days with no rain, sunny in the 50s. Of course when I went to the barn I discovered Hero had a gash on his upper front leg. Not too deep but a couple inches long so we can't go riding. Oh well.

I conscripted DH into canvassing the turnout pasture to look for the lost Scoot boot. It took some grid walking but I finally found it in a puddle of water. Phew. The pastern strap had gone flying and was lying separately.

DH joked that his shoes came off three times while we were looking. Not really, but it there was a lot of suction just walking around. I acknowledged it was not brilliant to turn Hero out there with his new boots on. I really think it wasn't a fitting issue. 😁😁

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Where's the edit button? I've had a life long struggle with loose verses lose. If I think about it, I'm ok. But when running on sub-conscious, not so ok.
I distinctly remember in 4th grade, the week those two words were on our spelling test (teacher read the words aloud in a sentence, you spelled the specific word on your paper), it ruined my streak of perfect spelling scores 😉 I still mix them up.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I have to think about it too! I’m glad the husband helped you look. Mud isn’t something often of issue around here.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,673
Just saw a funny video my friend posted on FB.

Rider cantering along on a horse, with a view of the head and neck.
Next, the view slides off to the side so you assume the rider is falling off the horse.
But a moment later, you see the rider on the horse from a very low angle, riding away because she's dropped her phone.

I've often worried that would happen to me, which is why I don't get much action video from my phone!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I lose my phone enough without bringing it out during the action! Sometimes I wish I would pull it out when everything is getting wild cowboying, but I might get shot for not doing my job, and I’m sure I would lose the phone if I tried both.

Little girl lost hers loping around the pivot the other day and found it with a crow (we say crow, but they are ravens, we don’t have the real bird called crow)! There is a crow out there who rides with us. He flies along right beside or above us and talks to us. I feel like a Mongolian cowboy! I keep trying to convince him to land on my arm, but he never will. He was who went to the phone when she lost it I believe.

I hope to remember one day to bring out something he might want to eat... maybe some meat scraps or something along those lines...

3661 - 3674 of 3674 Posts