The Horse Forum banner

3681 - 3684 of 3684 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,545 Posts
It seems like I was vaccinated for just about everything while in the military. Anthax? Yep. Thought it was silly but I got the full treatment. Actually, more than the full treatment. They started the series, then stopped me early, then a couple of years later insisted I get the full series from the start. Had a weird pencil shaped lump in my arm for 3 months but other than that....

My lifestyle means I'm pretty low risk for COVID so I doubt I'll be offered the vaccine(s) any time soon. But I'll take one when offered. I have far more confidence in them than in many of the things the government has promoted. I also like that it will protect ME. Or not. But if I take a vaccine and someone else chooses not to, I should still be protected. My risk. My benefit.

Bandit likes to rear in the corral but has never tried it while being led. I use Red Kote on all his cuts and wounds and it seems to work great. I've been known to use it on me but my former RN wife gets upset when I do...

Trooper is now shod in front. Don't know if it will help. May try Red Kote on the crack. Need to buy them some wormer and will look for thrush medicine when I do.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,682
I'd say 99% of those I work with are happy to take vaccines. We all have to get a full complement to enter the health care profession. Most of us stay up to date.
The one exception is the flu shot, which probably 10% don't like to get for various reasons.

Theoretically, it is super harmless with major benefits. Anecdotally, it seems to cause issues for some people far worse than the benefits. I'm not meaning theoretical things like paranoia about additives. Some seem to have a period where the shot is working on the immune system and something else gets them really sick, perhaps while the system is busy developing the flu immunity. Not everything is better than getting the flu, such as shingles or pneumonia.

But the reason my coworkers don't want the covid vaccine yet is because of the short period of time for clinical trials. We just found out this year that Glucophage was pulled for causing cancer. Wow, we gave that drug to so many people. At one time I remember you'd be hard pressed to find a diabetic that wasn't on it. When drug companies say "safe," they mean most people won't drop dead immediately. This vaccine will be given to millions of people. I'd like to know more studies were done before taking it. I'd like to think a drug company about to make billions of dollars on a vaccine has altruistim as their main motivation. But....seen too many movies. Times of stress and pressure can cause justification for what would otherwise be unethical.

Nurses and doctors I work with also would like to know more before putting their own health on the line.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I’m with you Gotta. I don’t want to take it unless I see it in action for a long period of time. It was so rushed. Maybe if I was more scared of Covid I would want it. I did get a flu vaccine this year because of how sick little girl and I got last winter. I’ve never been so sick from a bug!

I wasn’t in Cashman’s blind spot when he ran me over. He was simply thinking about what was behind him. He’s such a brute that he is the type to believe he can run into other horses or through brush or whatever is in his way if he is truly scared. I did notice though that he spooked the other day and jumped towards me and then pulled away from running me over. That made me happy.

Speaking of him being a brute, I did put him in with Queen today. She was thinking she was such hot stuff that I figured he needed to teach her a lesson. I chose him over Lucy because I figured Lucy would have zero patience with her queenliness and Cashman was half tolerant (only half, which made me happy to see. He had his limits.). I also didn’t want Lucy to get attached and then refuse to let any other horse scold her when the time comes for her to join their corral.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,684
That is a good idea to have a really big horse teach Queen some manners.

Some horses are more tolerant and willing to set limits with other horses without gashing their skin open or breaking bones.

3681 - 3684 of 3684 Posts