The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like this year is going to be another one for big vet bills. Here's why I keep an emergency fund for horses:

Mort
Some kind of gram negative bacteria, possibly 2nd to a viral thing.

$587 for the vet
$152 for meds
$ 82 for more meds
Total
$821

Goldy
Laminitis (unknown why, not over weight, no history and no indications that she'd be prone)

$298 vet
$195 Soft Ride Boots
$100 meds & reusable soft ice packs, wraps in stock
Total
$513

Honey Boo Boo
Corneal abrasion, unknown mechanics of injury

Estimate
$1000

Unknown expenses once she's discharged from the hospital.

Total
$ Who knows?

All together, so far $2334.00 THIS WEEK.

HOPING next week is better.

·
Registered
9,310 Posts
Seems like you've had a bad horse year Dreamcatcher. I hope your luck gets turned around soon.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I appreciate the support.

Mr. Mort is just the BEST little guy. I go in with a big oral syringe full of meds that are NASTY tasting. At first he kind of walks away and says, "NO, that's gross." but as soon as I just lay an arm across his neck he stands like a rock. Lets me dose him and no fusses, no spitting it back, nothing. Just swallows and goes to his feed bowl to get the taste out. We're waiting on an RX from Wedgewood Compounding Pharmacy to arrive, maybe Monday. It's only a 5 cc dose, so much more concentrated than I can do. HOWEVER, I'm going to put a copy of the review I've given this pharmacy on here so people can avoid them like the plague.

"I would give less than one star if it would let me. This has been the most unprofessional, sorry experience I've ever had. Vet sent in a RX for my foal, who was suspected of having Rodococcus, they confirmed the order, sent tracking info and took my credit card info and also were told that we needed the meds STAT, ship over night and they happily charged for it. That was on Monday. By Weds. the order was still pending, never heard a word from them. By Thurs. Vet called raising Cain and was told that the medicine was back ordered because they were out of apple flavoring. So new RX was given for unflavored which they allegedly had in stock. Again went through the goat rope of payment, confirmation and so on. Got a phone message Fri that the RX had been processed and sent out for shipping, would be delivered on MONDAY of the coming week. So, 7 days my foal has been waiting for his prescription. In the meantime I have been opening capsules, mixing with apple sauce and dosing in a HUGE oral syringe. Fortunately the foal turned up negative for Rodococcus or he'd be dead by the time they got around to sending his meds. It's not only that they were out of meds and just cancelled the order, it's the total LACK of communication, charging for over night service and not providing it, and basically total unprofessional handling of this case that has completely put me off of ever using this pharmacy again. We'll see if the meds arrive on Monday as promised, I have my doubts."

Vet says Boo is doing really well, cultured negative for a fungal problem, so instead of the $250/bottle antifungal meds they give for an infection, it'll be the cheaper one to just make sure she doesn't get one. She got a tube installed that you can inject her meds into and it comes out into the eye (picture your window washing system in your car). She's getting Atropine to dilate the pupil and relieve pain, antibiotic & antifungal eye meds, and Banamine for discomfort. Looks like she'll be discharged on Monday and will come home with the tube system in place. Right now she's being dosed every 2 hrs round the clock, when she comes home we'll go to every 4 hours round the clock. Evidently horsey corneal abrasions take quite a bit longer to heal than people ones do.

Goldy is on stall rest, getting Banamine for pain, ice packs and polo wraps on her 2 front legs 4X/day, and is deeply bedded for hoof support. Her Christian LouBoutin Soft Ride boots should arrive on Tues, and depending on how comfortable they make her, she should come off the Banamine and ice packs and be able to go back outside on pasture.

Oh and add to that, hubby came home sick from work and stayed home 3 days (HE NEVER DOES THAT, so I know he felt crappy), just went back yesterday. I think it's easier to handle a classroom of 25 ADHD kids that are off their meds than to handle a sick man.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Man, That's a lot to deal with in a week and you strike me as one of those people who likes to head vet bills off at the pass.
Yep, when you have horses, you have to have that extra cash laying around for them to spend. Healing vibes to your guys, I hope they heal soon.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
LOLOLOLOL....for the sick man comment. So true. It would also work for a newly retired man.

I hope everything settles down with the horse's soon. It certainly has been a weird year for me and mi e as well.

·
Registered
14,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man, That's a lot to deal with in a week and you strike me as one of those people who likes to head vet bills off at the pass.
Yep, when you have horses, you have to have that extra cash laying around for them to spend. Healing vibes to your guys, I hope they heal soon.
I do, Lori. I always try to keep them healthy and look out for anything that can cause problems. I always say I'd rather pay it at the feed store than at the vet, because I'm going to end up spending it anyhow. In Mort's case they're thinking he got a little virus that didn't even slow him down, but because of his age it left him open for the secondary infection. I took him in last Monday because of a cough and a nose that was starting to get snotty, just kind of barely tinged yellow. He never had a fever and his blood count had not had a spike in white cells yet. He just was coughing, a little discharge and not quite as full of P & V as he usually is. They cytology came back with something that looked like it might be Rhodococcus, so we started with a broad spectrum antibiotic that would kill the Rhodococcus, if it turned out to be what he had. As all horse people know, Rhodococcus is NASTY stuff and hard to get rid of and has killed its fair share of foals. Since I got him in so early, we felt like we would have the jump on it. The vet was so confident that we were getting in ahead of the game, she was ok waiting until Tues for him to start his meds, assuming the pharmacy got them to me. Since they didn't I had to get 200 Doxy caps and am hand mixing his meds. In the meantime the culture has returned neg for Rhodococcus but positive for a gram neg bacteria. Doxy will work on that too.

With Boo & Goldy, who knows, etiology for their varies maladies is unknown. Vet was really surprised when Goldy came up laminitic, she said she was surprised because Goldy is "not at all fat and in great shape". Who knows? Man proposes and God disposes.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Sorry to hear. But if it makes you feel any better, a couple of months ago, my dog had an obstruction. They had to do surgery to remove it. Vet bill for ONE dog: 2300$. And he died after surgery.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Maybe Goldy got into something that you are not aware of.
Laela came down with laminitis last year and I have no idea why. At first I thought it might have been the soy based ration balancer because it started shortly after starting her on that. And then I found an empty tub in her pasture that I had never seen before and thought that someone may have given her something that I was not aware of. I put her back on the balancer and started to see rings develop on her feet again so took her back off of it and no more rings. I just decided to leave her as she is on grass hay and alfalfa with her minerals and she's been fine. She's not overweight and not on an overly rich pasture so I don't know.

They certainly do give you gray hairs for sure. The good news is, they have done studies that show that horse owners live 15 years longer on average. lol

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The good news is, they have done studies that show that horse owners live 15 years longer on average. lol
Yeah - we live longer because it's a lot of work to take care of horses. We may be broke, but we're usually in pretty awesome shape! 60 years young and still tossing bales of hay!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts