The Horse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 9 month old “buckskin” filly I recently brought home last month. She’s un known at the moment as far as her breed, I was told they assume she’s “barb” but I don’t know for sure nor really believe she is. Anyway I’m wondering where this silver is coming from and is it rare? I understand buckskins can have tri color hair but I’ve never seen this silver before. Also when I searched around I couldn’t find anything on silver hair.
Working animal Keyboard Terrestrial animal Musical keyboard Snout

Hair Wood Luggage and bags Tints and shades Snout

This silver is naturally shiny her coat too has silver mixed in which makes her look so shiny!
!?
Horse Working animal Liver Mammal Terrestrial animal
Face Hair Head Eye Plant

Her tail hairs aren’t as shiny and kinda looks like she will out grow the white.

·
Registered
9,881 Posts
I've always heard them called guard hairs. Not uncommon but your filly has been blessed with an abundance of them @Katelynk . She has gorgeous coloring!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Definitely a buckskin and not a dun; they're genetically different. Here we call both types dun but technically that's incorrect. She doesn't have the primitive markings to be a dun. If I remember correctly the lighter guard hairs is the cream gene diluting red in the mane and tail.

·
Registered
15,091 Posts
She's gorgeous! Some buckskins have that 'silver' frosting and it shows up most in mane & tail. She may shed a lot of that come spring, their color frequently changes with the seasons. She'll always be buckskin but she can darken and fade depending on her genetic make up. It would be fun to pull some tail hairs and have a color panel done.

·
Registered
136 Posts
pretty head

Reactions: BethR

·
Super Moderator
13,767 Posts
Interesting. Must be a regional thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts