The Horse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is my gelding acting like a stud?

My 19 yr old gelding used to be so kind and sweet but when a new mare came into the paddock beside him he started acting like a stud, he pinned me in the back of his paddock and was rearing and lunging at me when I got too close to his mare, when i got out he didn't care about me at all and started eating with the mare.

Why is he doing this and how do I stop it?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
How long have you had him? Has he ever been with mares before or only geldings?

There's a fairly simple solution if there are no other behavior issues going on- take a lunge whip out there with you and if he comes at you act like you're gonna beat the daylights out of him. The whip is long enough to give you a nice big bubble. Decide on a barrier and if he comes too close tell him to back off. Take someone with you if you're worried about him reacting aggressively, but the chances are he'll realize that he'd made a big mistake and never do it again.

Introducing a new horse messes with the pecking order and can make horses act funny, but this behavior is dangerous and should be nipped in the bud. If he's going to be dangerous, you let him know that you can be dangerous too. He'll probably cut it out and be back to your good ol' horse unless there's something else bothering him. If he's never done this before around mares it's probably just a fluke. Since he's 19, I'm assuming that's the case?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts