The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a horse, his name is Zip. And he's too dang smart! I got him a Likit and he destroyed it. I bought a Jolly Stall Combo, and woudn't you know it? He's figured out how to get his mouth around the thing and break it in two!
So I got him a Likit Boredom Breaker, and the next day, the salt lick up top is gone, and so are the two Little Likits.
I can't even begin to understand how he did that! He's too dang smart!

Help!

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!

You call that smart....
I call that bored and the horse needing some constructive outdoor time to burn off some energy and restlessness...
Horses love those lick-it things as to them they are candy...so yup, destroyed and nearly eaten in a overnight...
The rest is boredom and what a 1000 pound beast does to something you think of as in your 100 pounds can't destroy to them is child's play... :|
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yup, sounds like he’s cooped up in a stall. If he gets lots of turnout you’ll be able to save a lot of money of entertainment gadgets as hell entertainment himself by walking around and grozing.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
Ditto to others. Except what is often classed as vices from boredom, I believe is more often 'OCD' anxiety behaviour, also often due to unhealthy feeding practices/ingredients. What is his management/lifestyle like? Does he live out with mates, but just gets destructive(bored/smart) when cooped up occasionally? Or is he cooped up a lot of the time? Does he get adequate forage, that he never goes hungry? Is he fed high NSC feed in infrequent 'meals'? Is he getting well balanced nutrition?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts