The Horse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a curious question, what have you caught your horse doing while he was outside? (or just something your horse has done.)

ill start:
two days ago while i was driving in to the barn i noticed my horse trotting around "on the bit" in this nice pretty circles. i was shocked, why cant i get him to that for me? haha i thought it was pretty funny.

and one more:
a few months ago we had to switch a horses field because she would jump in and out of the field. we have witnessed her jumping out(4 ft fence) grazing for a few minutes in the field next to her field, and jumping back in! just for fun? no one can figure it out!

so, go ahead, whats the weirdest thing your horse has ever done in turnout?

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
I got a TBx who had been boxed 24/7 as she used to escape and play with traffic- no joke.

So we put her out, but as a safety precaution taped her away from my dad's mare in case she broke free so the other mare didn't go. She soon realised if she ducked her head, the electric tape (which was at a resonable not too high/too low height) would hit her wither, and her butt and she'd only get shocked twice.

However you'd have thought once she was on the other side, she would be happy, but she would run from one side to the other. We took it down after day 2!

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
1. not really weird but my gelding jumped a 6ft fence as a 4 month old colt so he could go to the neighbors mares next field over.
2. my gelding playing tag with my steer i had 2 yrs ago....
3. my bloodhound sat on my mares head when she was laying down in the field....and she let him.....

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
My horse and rescue dog, Cassy, love to play together. They will start by facing off, Cassy at the end of her chain, and Indie at the rail of her fence... when Cassy barks Indie takes off into a canter and starts doing laps with her tale in the air, snorting and just having a pretty good time until Cassy stops barking, then Indie stands still until the barking starts back up again.

I have a full view of the backyard from my window, so it's pretty entertaining to watch :lol:

These two are also the ones that sometimes nap together when either is let loose on the property, they're pretty good buddies :)

Reactions: VT Trail Trotters

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well, I think it's weird how Joker seems so lazy on nice warm sunny days, and he'll nap and lay around all day in his pen, but when it rains he gallops, bucks, snorts...You name it! (;

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Someone's little terrier was walking around in the pasture one day. My mare went up to it. The little dog sniffed her nose... And she bit the hell out of it. :shock: She CLAMPED on to his dog's ear, briefly lifting him off the ground before he yepped and scared her.

·
Registered
602 Posts
There's a friendly neighborhood coyote pack that plays with Robbie's herd...
I'm always so scared when I go and get him and he's playing with one of them. I often find them napping together and I try and get the coyote to get away before I get Robbie. I don't wanna be eaten haha.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Well, not my horse, but at my old stable the horses would play tug o war with sticks in their pasture. One time, this horse called Tipper wanted to play with Brownie, so he grabbed a stick and ran toward Brownie with it, but Brownie didn't want to play.. So Tipper stabs Brownie in the flank. He gets a big gash there and can't be ridden for a couple days!

Also, those horses trapped another horse, Kobe, in this 3 foot opening in between a run and the fence that my instructor thought they couldn't go.. And two would chase him in, and stand guard at the back, and one other horse would stand up front..

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words...

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
My sister's gelding once unlatched a stall door that was latched open, closed it, and locked his 3/4 sister inside. Guess she was in time out? While being boarded when my sister was in college, he was pastured with some sheep. Until the owners saw him picking up the sheep and throwing them, yeah, he needed a pasture without buddies to torment... LOL!

My mare as a two year old let herself out of her paddock and went into the barn. Then she opened the stallion's stall, let him out, and she went in. So the stallion went out to the pasture to talk to the girls outside, and she was standing quite happily in his stall :D
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was feeding the mares, and as I was putting the horses in the feed pens I noticed a big blob in the distance (it was night time). I got closer and realized it was Sunny laying down. She was SO intently staring at a small bonfire that was in their pasture, and every few seconds she would let out a deep sigh like she was thinking deeply about something as she was watching the fire. :lol:

Such a silly girl.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
Over the summer when we had a ridiculous heat wave, I went out to find Woodstock in one of the small rubbermaid tanks. Wish now I'd have taken a picture, reminded me of the circus elephants that balance on the tiny blocks. He's always up to something, god forbid you leave the hose running to fill tanks and walk away....he will happily bathe himself and anyone within shooting distance, he's soaked me more than once ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts