The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to post this thread but I was wondering if anyone out there had any information on the BLM Wild Horse Inmate Program or knew of some literature about this program. I am starting a research project and need some good sources but haven't had much luck yet. Thank you!

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
There is a movie called Wild Horse Redemption. I highly highly recommend watching it. Me and Shay-la own it, and we must have watched it 20 times in the last year. It's very fascinating, and very informative.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Their website wasn't very helpful. :-( And I currently have that DVD on order! Thank you! Are there any books or pamphlets that anyone can think of?

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I have to say, I really like seeing programs like this and the other animal rescue programs (dog and cat) that are in place in our nation's penal system.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I watched the Wild Horse Redemption movie too, I wished it was a series because I really didn't want it to end. We had some speakers come to our school and give a presentation on a similar project involving dogs. I think it is a fabulous program, it really helps the animals and it is pretty amazing what they do in return for the inmates. I think programs like this really address rehabilitation for the humans in a way that no other prison program does. Also, watching someone else who is inexperienced helped me learn a lot too, because it was easier to see their mistakes and learn from them, and to think about how I would have done it differently. Definitely check the movie out!

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I agree, teala - I would have loved to see it developed as a series rather than a one-time special. I understand the complexity of filming w/in the prison system, but they are able to gain the access necessary for Locked Up, and other prison series. I think raising public awareness of these programs would be extremely beneficial....and could have been accomplished by further development of the program.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ALot,
I am not sure exactly what type of information you are looking for and I have no experience with the BLM Inmate Program, BUT I used horses in a juvenile treatment program here in Southern Idaho. I worked for two years as the horsemanship instructor and seven years as the program manager. We contracted with the Idaho Department of Juvenile Corrections to provide a residential detention and equine assisted treatment program for kids that were ajudicated by state and district courts. We used all kinds of horses, a few BLM Mustangs but none of them were obtained through the BLM. They were all donated to our program by the people who adopted them. A couple were rescued (confiscated by the county sherriff's office and rehabilitated (fed up) until they were useable.
If you have any interest in this program I'd be glad to tell you anything I know.

Rod

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm not sure this is the appropriate place to post this thread but I was wondering if anyone out there had any information on the BLM Wild Horse Inmate Program or knew of some literature about this program. I am starting a research project and need some good sources but haven't had much luck yet. Thank you!

I think you have to have several DUI's and be sentenced before you can be considered for the student intern program...Ha!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.