Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Indigenous Native Species

Votes: 9 69.2%
721 - 740 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #721
July 10, 2020, the House Appropriations Committee approved an Interior funding draft for the Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21) that would, among other items, award the Bureau of Land Management $102 million for the Wild Horse & Burro Program.

We, the American people, need to specify how we want the BLM to spend our hard-earned taxpayer dollars.

Hopefully, by 2021 we will have strong and level-headed leaders in place to make rational and humane decisions about America's overall future.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #722
The "Down to Earth" Netflix series with Zac Efron and Darin Olien was IMO fascinating.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_to_Earth_with_Zac_Efron

It would be great if "Down to Earth" the second season would focus on America with an episode on America's horses (wild, in captivity, and bred).

Not mentioned in the Iceland episode, but there are new documentaries on how the people of Iceland love their horses/ponies! They take their herds of horses on large group trail vacations across the island. How cool is that!!! Reminds me of Emma Massingale (Ireland?) who does it by herself with her herd of minis and regular horses. And, Tanja and Bettina from Germany and their horses.

Yes, Icelandic horse folks usually own herds of horses, not just a single horse. How cool is that!!!

My wish is that America adopt the horsey life styles of Emma, Tanja, Bettina, and the Icelandic folks. How beautiful and fun that would be!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #723
WildAbt Horses Posted on the Netflix Official Trailer for Efron's Down to Earth series:

IMO the "Down to Earth" Netflix series with Zac Efron and Darin Olien, was fascinating. Thank you! It would be great if the second season would focus on America with an episode on America's horses (wild, captive, and bred). In contrast, you could highlight Emma Massingale from Ireland, Tanja and Bettina "Native Horse" from German, and the Icelandic family horse trail vacations across the island. See Horse Forum for more ideas.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #724 (Edited by Moderator)
About older wild mustangs: In the early 1930s Paskett, while he was herding sheep, captured a Mustang he named Tiger. “Tiger became a good saddle horse, though hard to break because he was seven years old and wild as anything I ever saw. He filled out to weigh a thousand pounds when fat, and he had stamina and courage that was hard to equal."
- Parley J. Paskett p.17

- - -

If not, Zac and Darin than another team of entertainers and filmmakers: healthcare or lack of, planned parenthood, financial planning, child-rearing, education, cultures and the arts, prison reform (have prisons care for the wild horses in captivity), to mention a few topics.

- - -
I agree with you on the story about Joe Schreibvogel. It was all about human drama and not about the unfortunate innocent “wild” cats.

- - -

Did you know that Nat Geo The Dog Whisperer is returning? Why isn’t there a Nat Geo The Horse Whisperer? Where are the Millennials? Generation Z? Where is the Cesar Millan for horses on Nat Geo?

- - -

Iceland Interesting: "Horses are another cute animal often used to represent Iceland. They are very popular to ride, but also tasty. The meat is lean, a bit lighter than beef and much tenderer. ... Like the sheep, most of the horses in Iceland roam free in the mountain areas of Iceland over the summer (save those used for riding)."
https://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/eat_and_drink/2016/12/21/12_local_delicacies_to_try_in_iceland/

I skimmed watched “Tails of Iceland” 2019 (a free Amazon Prime video) on Icelandic annual large group vacation trail riding across Iceland with their herds as one large herd. Very cool.

·
Super Moderator
22,813 Posts
Didn't watch the vid above, but I just don't get why eating *horses* is wrong, if eating cows, sheep, chickens... etc is OK? Fair enough if you believe eating any meat is wrong *for you personally*, but it just strikes me as... silly to say it's wrong to eat one animal & not another.

·
Super Moderator
22,813 Posts
Did you know that Nat Geo The Dog Whisperer is returning? Why isn’t there a Nat Geo The Horse Whisperer? Where are the Millennials? Generation Z? Where is the Cesar Millan for horses on Nat Geo?
Oh Dog forbid! Unfortunate for dogs everywhere that Cesar Milan is still kicking IMHO. And there are a few equivalent, domineering 'gurus' in the horse world - Clinton Anderson for one.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #728

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I wonder how long this horse was in holding. It seems very accepting of its situation.

The BLM sells 3 levels/prices of horses.

Trained to saddle, which by memory, is around $850

Trained and gentled to halter, $125

Untrained and ungentled, $25

The horse in the video was obviously trained and gentled to halter, which requires a bit of time and properly applied effort on the part of the trainer, often a supervised prison inmate.

An untrained ungentled horse is a whole different story. Especially one fresh off the range.

It would be a monumental mistake on the part of someone viewing the posted video that the horse was displaying behavior typical of a truly wild horse.

Negative comment: Glad she didn't wreck on the way back with the distracted driving seemingly displayed on parts of the video.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #731
^LOL but she definitely handled that truck and trailer with expertise

An update on the horse... it had been in holding since 2018. IMO it is a very informative video:

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
^LOL but she definitely handled that truck and trailer with expertise

Haha. Very cool kid. Yes, I went back to comment on her backup skills but it was past the time limit.

So the horse did have a lot of handling and close up interaction. Again, fresh off the range would have been a lot different.

Surprised about the three strikes. Not clear if she just missed adoption 3 times or was returned 3 times. I had thought 3 strikes was returned 3 times. Many of those do have issues from being mishandled.

Also, any horse 10 YO or older is considered untrainable and sells for $25 with immediate title just like 3 strikes.

Sort of curious about the HMA. Checking California, neither Ridgecrest nor Stardom show up as HMA's.

https://www.blm.gov/programs/wild-horse-and-burro/herd-management/herd-management-areas/california

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #733
^ Wow! “ BLM California manages 21 wild horse and burro herd management areas (HMAs) on approximately 2.5 million acres.”

BTW I thought training my puppy would be so easy... I was so wrong. Her nose and her natural curiosity and instincts are strong and are tough to complete with. My “COME” vs. a groundhog...

I would love to try and tame? Uhm train? Uhm hangout with... a wild horse. Uhm... I think I’m best as a bystander... admirer of the hard-work and dedication it takes to Makeover an American Mustang.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Surprised about the three strikes. Not clear if she just missed adoption 3 times or was returned 3 times. I had thought 3 strikes was returned 3 times. Many of those do have issues from being mishandled.
From my understanding, three strikes means passed over for adoption three times, not returned three times.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #738
I’m sure something similar is happening with the world of horses.

Because of the lack of tourists the owners of elephants have to “let them go?”

“The Journey of Seven Elephants Across Country To Their New Home“ These are the last Lek can take in https://www.saveelephant.org/

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I have not noticed the prices of horses dropping so I doubt that is happening with horses at this time in the United States but if the Covid-19 hangs on until the end of 2021 as some say it may be happening to horses by then.

The aftermath of the GREAT recession of 2008 saw many people begging ranches to take their horses free just to give them a home. People were losing their homes along with their horse's homes. The price of horses became very depressed.

721 - 740 of 779 Posts