Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Indigenous Native Species

Votes: 9 69.2%
741 - 760 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #742
What a beautiful little filly... who doesn’t want to go across bricks/stones or into the enclosed arena even with her mom right there. But once in... mom and baby run in unison. So lovely to watch.

It makes me that much more in awe of those who work with American wild horses. Love our Mustangs!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #744
^ thanks! very interesting and good to know 😊

This update from Sam VanFleet makes wish I rode horses and lived in Wyoming!

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
If you move to Wyoming you won't need a truck and trailer. Just hop on your horse and ride out the gate. If your concerned about a vet, choose an area where the vet makes calls.

Drive a truck same as a car.

Learn to back a trailer?

Choose open area.

Put in reverse and apply gently on the accelerator.

Stop pull forward.

Try again.

Repeat......many times. You'll get it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #750
^ha-ha ... smiley

Minutes 8:00 the Mustang at the dentist. OMG what are the doing? Major drilling?

This Mustang is sooooo lucky to have this owner... poor thing might have been kicked in the holding pen before beginning adopted... having dental surgery. I wish all Mustangs have dental coverage.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #751 (Edited)
Pendley "ugh"

Pendley said he firmly disagreed with a court’s decision that he should be removed from BLM and has continued to fulfill his duties as assigned. By Camille Erickson. OCT 10, 2020
https://coloradosun.com/2020/10/10/william-perry-pendley-bureau-land-management-interview/

A Judge's Ruling Aims to Oust Public Lands Chief. Now Some Want His Decisions Tossed, Too. BY JUDY FAHYS OCT 12, 2020.
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/...-pendley-bureau-land-management-montana-trump

William Perry Pendley says he’s still on the job as acting director of BLM
“I have not been ousted. That is not true,” Pendley said in an interview. October 10, 2020
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/10/10/pendley-still-blm-acting-director/

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
^ can I borrow some money? how do you drive a truck? how do you attach the horse trailer? Yikes? I hope I never have to backup. What’s the best insurance to get?

Salt Water Rez Spanish Mustangs - Arizona
Wow! they are beautiful! I hope they do do DNA testing on them.

https://saltriverwildhorsemanagementgroup.org/video/

https://youtu.be/v5AucqhgWhA

I used to live in Arizona and got to see the Salt River mustangs in person. My stubborn as heck half mustang mare refused to walk into the river and ended up breaking her bridle. Thus, I had to ride her in a halter and lead rope, and was riding with just that when we passed by some mustangs who were very interested in us. They were only about six feet away, and mind, my mare had a history of going ballistic and trying to throw me anytime she just smelled wild horses. I was so nervous, I thought she was going to flip out. Thank God she didn't.

That experience comes a close second in my list of scary experiences, the first being almost falling off a cliff while riding the same horse (actually, that time not my horse's fault but another rider who blew past us and almost knocked us over the edge).

I think Arizona was trying to kill me and I'm glad I don't live there anymore. No, my horse wasn't trying to kill me, she would never. lol. :smile:

Someday I'm going to adopt a mustang and train it. From what I've heard from others who have done just that, I think it's going to be far easier than training my half-mustang mare was. She's a special case. lol

Reactions: WildAbtHorses

·
Registered
246 Posts
My very experienced trainer says she will never train donkeys, mules or mustangs because they are not like other horses. That is all I know about it.

I do know this because I have seen it. There are far too many mustangs on public land. What will it take? Mass starvation? They are already starving but the media does not show it. I saw horses so thin they were like skeletons. Ever seen a foal trying to nurse it's dead mother? But starvation is natural. It's either death control or birth control. The birth control darts they have need to be shot to the rumps of mares from 20 to 40 yard plus they need a booster 2 months later and then one more shot per year. How is that realistically possible with hundreds of thousands of mustang mares?

I have seen the US Border Patrol using mustangs trained by prisoners. They are tough hard working horses and are ridden in rough country and brush every day. But goodness sake, there are so many domestic horses now that nobody wants so the mustangs are just captured and warehoused at tax payer expense. And there are still too many on public land and it is not beause of cattle. I drove and still drive all over the intermountain west and I saw nothing but mustangs and a few antelope with no cattle and sheep on the range. Another thing- it can look like there is grass but it is nothing but invasive Cheat Grass, a useless feed and a fire hazard- look it up.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #754
"Wild Mustangs Give Patrol Horsepower On The Border," by Ted Robbins, NPR, June 29, 2012.
https://www.npr.org/2012/06/29/155993117/wild-mustangs-give-patrol-horsepower-on-the-border “The U.S. Border Patrol uses wild mustangs rounded up from the Rockies as it takes its hunt for smugglers…”

For anyone new to this thread, I tried to consolidate what I have learned over the last year on America’s wild horses into this online document: https://indd.adobe.com/view/1be429a0-ec30-4ec9-ab6b-51affdccefd7

Short slide presentations on America’s wild horses:
https://spark.adobe.com/page/X4iUELN4t5sqY/
https://spark.adobe.com/page/Fle2tuRJG6XG1/

IMO: Americans need reliable and continuous reporting on our public lands. Updates on the animals that roam the protected public open spaces, the Government's plans for it, and the humans' recreational use of it. And, constant reporting on the wild horses in the wild and in holding facilities. Knowledge is critical.

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
The Bureau of Land Management in cooperation with the Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry will resume wild horse and burro adoptions and sales from the Wild Horse and Burro Training and Holding facility located in Florence, AZ, starting October 26, 2020. These private placement operations will be limited to appointment only with a pre-approved application for placement.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
My very experienced trainer says she will never train donkeys, mules or mustangs because they are not like other horses....
My farrier has a strong preference for mules. He says the "problem" with mules - and to a lesser extent, Arabians and mustangs - is that they THINK and will not accept being bullied or told "Just Do It". He says if you convince a mule you are worth trusting, a mule will support you and back you in a way no horse will. But you have to work with the mule's mind and need to give up any idea of "body control". That if you try "Ask, Tell, DEMAND" with a mule, you'll get an enemy.

He says very few horse riders can ride a mule because their training in riding horses teaches them habits that mules bitterly resent. And that while mules cannot be trained the way most horses are, that all horses OUGHT to be trained the way you MUST train a mule.

I have no experience with mules, but he says that for a horse, Bandit (half Arabian, half mustang) is uncommonly mule-like. He believes that is a compliment. I agree.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They used to have a Wild Horse Auction in Tennessee, but I cannot find that it still exists. Their last posting was quite a few years ago. Anyone know if it still exists?

·
Registered
2 Posts
They used to have a Wild Horse Auction in Tennessee, but I cannot find that it still exists. Their last posting was quite a few years ago. Anyone know if it still exists?
Do you mean the Cross Plains facility, the Carr Ranch?

Yeah, that place closed down years ago. They dissolved their partnership with the BLM sometime after 2010.

They hung on for a few years adopting out feral horses (NOT legally protected mustangs) from the Sheldon National Wildlife Refuge, but after the last herds were removed from that place (Those horses weren't even supposed to be on the refuge in the first place) in 2014 and subsequently adopted out, the well must've went dry and they eventually had to close their doors.

Their (Terribly designed and eye-straining) website is still up:- Carr's Wild Horse & Burro Center but it hasn't been updated since 2015. Too bad.

741 - 760 of 779 Posts