• Private Livestock

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Indigenous Native Species

Votes: 9 69.2%
761 - 779 of 779 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I used to have a black Arabian stallion and I know what you mean. They are different.

" Drinkers of the Wind

It is the antelope strain of horse of the North African desert that is the oldest and purest breed of horses in the world. Large of eye, ever alert, fleet of foot and able to run many leagues without rest, bands of the desert horses wandered into the Fertile Crescent seeking pasture over 6000 years ago. Highly prized for racing and for war, the horses were brought in to live closely, even within the tents of the Bedouin people, and their horse's lineage traced back by word of mouth for countless generations. The horses of Babylonia, Egypt, Macedonia and Greece sprang from them. Kept pure or 'Asil' by the Bedu people of Arabia, and war horses brought into Spain by the Moors and all of Europe by the Crusaders, the Arabian horses carried their fire and have improved all the horse breeds of the world.

This is the black stallion Masood whose name means fortunate or lucky in Arabic. Because of his coal black color he appears to be all shape lit with gleams of light. His beauty draws all beauty irresistibly to himself as a Black Hole draws in the stars of heaven. Astonishing to look at when still, yet when he moves he is all curves with a fluid grace. He moves as if he hears music. In fact, he does hear it, for he IS music. On moonless nights in the dark, the rhythm of running hoofbeats are heard, He materializes out of the dark.

So it is written in the Koran, God took a handful of the South wind and said Condense, I bid thee make an incursion into the morning. I give thee flight without wings."

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #762
^Wow! Love the information, the story, and the horse! Thank you.

For this post I am switching form horses to elephants.

Here is a link to the best interview with Lek (only 4 wonderful minutes):

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
That "Old Saying" is attributed to Winston Churchill

Winston S. Churchill — 'There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.'

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #770
^ yikes.

“Gold in smartphones is used primarily to make connectors and wires but gold mining is a major cause of deforestation in the Amazon.” phys.org

“…they require precious metals and so-called rare earths which are processed using harmful chemicals.” thestar.com

"With their short-lived devices and unnecessarily fast product cycles, the manufacturers are causing massive environmental damage and catastrophic working conditions," Manfred Santen thestar.com

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #771 (Edited)
President Elect and VP Elect - Wild Horses Asking4Help

What would they be asking if they could speak?

Question: If you could ask Biden/Harris to execute XYZ to help America's wild horses, what would that be?

My Suggestions:
1. More prison-inmates/mustang programs?
2. Increase research and birth-control measures?
3. Hire more horse trainers to gentle all of the horses in holding facilities?
4. Increase adoption programs? Like Trainer Incentive Program (TIP).
5. Create an official "America's Wild Horses" YouTube Channel that posts daily educational and horse update videos (or build upon and unify the existing ones)?
6. Inventory all wild horses in the wild and in all holding facilities, including Ree Drummond's herds.

IMO not good or bad - just that I don't think they will consider round-ups or slaughter, at least, not initially - again not good or bad just IMO. I am just removing these as what you might ask for from President Elect and VP Elect.

I was thinking of sending each of them a professionally printed hard-copy of the Wild Horses booklet: https://indd.adobe.com/view/1be429a0-ec30-4ec9-ab6b-51affdccefd7

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
All of the above. But I don't support slaughter, for the same reason I don't support slaughter of elephants or humans.

·
Banned
23 Posts
What would they be asking if they could speak?

Question: If you could ask Biden/Harris to execute XYZ to help America's wild horses, what would that be?

My Suggestions:
1. More prison-inmates/mustang programs?
2. Increase research and birth-control measures?
4. Increase adoption programs? Like Trainer Incentive Program (TIP).
5. Create an official "America's Wild Horses" YouTube Channel that posts daily educational and horse update videos (or build upon and unify the existing ones)?
6. Inventory all wild horses in the wild and in all holding facilities, including Ree Drummond's herds.

IMO not good or bad - just that I don't think they will consider round-ups or slaughter, at least, not initially - again not good or bad just IMO. I am just removing these as what you might ask for from President Elect and VP Elect.

I was thinking of sending each of them a professionally printed hard-copy of the Wild Horses booklet: https://indd.adobe.com/view/1be429a0-ec30-4ec9-ab6b-51affdccefd7
I wouldn't get your hopes up. The Mustangs and Burros population grew grossly during Obama's eight years and despite significant lobbying from all corners for him to do something, he never actually acted on all of that prompting.

Trump was no different, nor was Bush. It seems that Presidents on from both political parties have their hands so full with other more pressing issues that affect larger segments of the US population that the Mustangs and Burros can't even get a single crumb of the President's time. So don't go in expecting that Biden will be any different.

·
Banned
23 Posts
You... are aware that there are currently 46,492 Mustangs and Burros currently held in Off-Range facilities, right? Yes really, those numbers are accurate. You can read all about them here:- https://www.blm.gov/sites/blm.gov/files/wildhorse_data_August2020FacReport.pdf It's from the BLM's website:- https://www.blm.gov/programs/wild-horse-and-burro/about-the-program/program-data

I'm sorry, I appreciate your passion regarding this issue... but I genuinely don't see how halter training just under 50,000 animals would actually be very helpful towards getting said animals adopted. Assuming that such a thing could even be doable in the first place. I have my doubts that the US equine industry could reasonably absorb 50,000 saddle-broke animals, never mind animals that have only had minimal training to be somewhat handleable.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #775
^ Maybe Kamala Harris and Dr. Jill Biden will be Wild Horses & Burros champion?!? The book is being printed and copies are being sent to both. Gotta try.

^ 50,000 is a lot of wild horses to have in holding. How many inmates does America have? Troubled youth? Out of work? Just need an organizer with a lot of cash and connections.

an aside...

Flying Foxes or Fruit Bats
Pteropus - Wikipedia

The fantastic flying Fox!
Flying foxes are far cooler than you thought

The netting is from the fruit trees (I thought fishing netting) and apparently Australia has a lot of barbed wire. Love this Batzilla YouTube Channel - an Australian couple that has been rescuing and rehabilitating these sweet animals for 10 years.

·
Banned
2 Posts
^ Maybe Kamala Harris and Dr. Jill Biden will be Wild Horses & Burros champion?!? The book is being printed and copies are being sent to both. Gotta try.
Such things were hoped for and said about previous Vice Presidents and First Ladies. As previously mentioned about past Presidents, nothing ever materialized. The Vice President is a toothless position, they simply don't have any real political power (Which is why one tends to not hear much about them). First Ladies typically get involved in passion projects (Usually one that holds close personal meaning to them) and devote their time and energies to that specific one thing.

I would also like to point out that I've read your "book". It contains gross amounts of inaccurate information, grammar and spelling errors and is absurdly biased for and against certain solutions. Not the best thing to send to people that you wish to champion the "cause" to.

Kamala Harris and Dr. Jill Biden likely do not read their own mail, probably haven't for years at this point. Both of them are high ranking public figures who doubtlessly receive hundreds of mailed items every day. It would both be impractical, not to mention dangerous (Remember the Anthrax Letter Attacks that occurred just after 9/11?), for them to read their own mail.

So your "book" may not even ever be seen by them, just looked at by some Intern. Assuming that the "books" don't get lost in the mail shuffle and get thrown out in the first place of course. At best, you may receive a form letter (Not typed up by either woman, but you might get lucky and see their signatures at the bottom) that says "Thank you for bringing this to Bah Blahs attention, please contact the appropriate management offices (Which would be the BLM... ) to learn more about this topic".

^ 50,000 is a lot of wild horses to have in holding. How many inmates does America have? Troubled youth? Out of work? Just need an organizer with a lot of cash and connections.
The United States of America has the largest prison population in the entire world, counting Youth and Adult offenders and taking into account Jails, Prisons and Contractor facilities... Theirs probably just under 2.5 million individuals in custody. It's a horrifying tragedy that I would implore you to not exploit.

Also, remember what I told you earlier? About the halter training not being likely to make much of a difference in getting animals in holding adopted, that saddle-training said animals would probably not even be of use? That still applies. I'll say it again, the US equestrian population would be unable to absorb 50,000 newly saddle-trained horses.

And of course an "Organizer" with lots of cash and connections to the entire American penal system almost certainly doesn't exist.

Plus remember that movie that was made a year or two ago about an inmate training an untamed horse? Guess what happened? The public's interest in the program surged in the immediate weeks after the movie premiered.... and then the "hype" prominently died out and no notable change happened as the result of the movie.

an aside...Flying Foxes or Fruit Bats
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so I'm not sure why you're trying to insert it into the discussion.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #777
^ All valid points and your input helps round out the thinking on the situation. I do not disagree with any of your comments and analysis. Thanks for posting - I appreciate it.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #778
Yesterday the ’America’s Wild Horses‘ information (printed by Photobooks.pro and via UPS) was delivered to Harris in DC and Biden in Delaware. Hopefully someone will review them and pass them on.

If you want to smile for 3 full minutes:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #779
just a suggestion to the new United States Administration... President elect Biden and VP elect Harris.

We could allow prisoners to get-out-jail (the low offenders and soon-to-be-released) to spend their remaining time caring for America’s Wild Horses.

It would be a win-win-win... it would protect the prisoners from being in close quarters during this coronavirus Pandemic, it would support the horses and bring attention to the situation, and it will be a wonderful experience for all involved.

Of course, daily YouTube videos highlighting the horses, their situation, and the prisons impressions and experience. What could go wrong?

761 - 779 of 779 Posts