Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Indigenous Native Species

Votes: 9 69.2%
781 - 800 of 807 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #781 ·
third, I had not heard about "The Tahoe Reno Industrial Center, the largest industrial park in the world that is home to the Tesla Gigafactory 1, Google, Switch and Blockchains." and their involvement with The Virginia Range wild horses (Northern Nevada) population.

Fascinating! Again, thanks for the article link.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #782 ·
After Tesla secured a real estate deal, Elon Musk posted a video on social media showing wild horses roaming the ridge, Thompson said, recording 750,000 hits in 60 days.

Elon Musk just gave us a glimpse of the wild horses that roam near Tesla's Gigafactory by Danielle Muoio Oct 5, 2017.

Tesla bought 3,000 acres.
Blockchains (builds cryptographic ledger systems) owns 70,000 acres.

These tech guys should be able to build the biggest and the BEST wild horse db!!!

The program treated 1,333 mares and administered 3,075 treatments since it began this program on April 9, 2019, for a population of 3,000

The database includes multiple photos of each horse so volunteers can correctly identify them to determine if any of the mares are in need of a vaccine, which is 97% effective.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #783 ·
I hope the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center shows the world American Ingenuity at its BEST! Working to help the iconic American Wild Horses and Burros!! Go Tahoe Reno Industrial Center Businesses!!!

Can someone provide a link to Elon Musk's Mustang video?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Usefulness of PZP in the wild horse herds in the USA is that only a very small percentage of the wild horses can be approached within range of a PZP dart gun. Those are small bands that are visited frequently by tourist and have been desensitized somewhat to people on foot.

I spent five summers in the Pine Nut Mountains East of Carson City, NV where there are several wild horse bands. It was difficult to get close enough to even get a picture. For those, PZP for wild horses would be similar to PZP for a deer herd.

The elephants may be more approachable.

I doubt Elon Musk has spent anytime himself photographing wild horses. He disparages or compares non-Tesla owners to horse owners.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #785 ·
^ “... compares non-Tesla owners to horse owners” sounds like a complement!

yes, a bit discouraging… over the last two-years… “treated 1,333 mares and administered 3,075 treatments” out of 100,000 difficult to find and get close to?

At least the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center - Wikipedia acknowledges, likes, brings attention to the wild horses and burros?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #787 ·
Did you see this? Are we seeing anything like this in America's wild horses and burros?

“Spotted and oddly striped zebras may be a warning for species’ future by Lindsay Patterson January 2021

another article January 2021

an article from last year Nov 2020

·
Registered
568 Posts
I remember reading that a herd of 200 horses in the wild is required to maintain genetic soundness. Seems it would be the same or similar for zebras.

Reactions: WildAbtHorses

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #789 ·
In the interest of America's wild horses and burros I am sending this book (which still needs work):

To:
Deb Haaland, pending Land Management
Pete Buttigieg, Transportation - is there a better way to get around? a horse for every family?!?
Jennifer Granholm, pending Energy - if we're looking for CLEAN ENERGY? look no farther then a Mustang & Burro!

How about these slogans?
"Adopt a Wild Horse & Burro for Your Transportation Needs!" or
"Looking for a Clean Energy Alternative? Adopt a Wild Horse & Burro!"
"They will not only get you to where you're going, but they will also be great companions on your journey!"
And if used for transportation, they can be a tax write-off???

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #790 ·
I'm thinking I'm going to send a copy of "the book" to Gina McCarthy who is in charge of Domestic Climate initiatives. She was talking about public land uses, jobs, clean energy, Earth Day!

IMO What a great Earth Day it would be if the day was filled with lots of talks and tons of information about America's Wild Horses & Burros!!!

Earth Day is Thursday, April 22, 2021!

·
Registered
568 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #792 ·
^ Love it!!! "Mustang Camp is a New Mexico Non-Profit organization training wild horses for adoption. Mustang Camp is located in the old Largo Canyon School facility on 14 acres within remote wilderness land in northern New Mexico. Our mission is to reduce the suffering of captive horses through humane training practices, train people to train horses, and to get horses adopted to suitable homes." Explore Mustang Camp

Gina McCarthy mentioned today a "Youth Energy Civilian Climate Crops" -It would be great to put America's youth to work helping American Wild Horses & Burros! What a great win-win-win!

Expand upon the New Mexico Mustang Camp? a Mustang Camp for each state? for each herd? for each BLM wild horses facility?

"How a Climate Corps Could Put Youth to Work in Greening America" by Daniel Munczek Edelmen, Yale School October 15, 2020. How a Climate Corps Could Put Youth to Work in Greening America

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mustang Camp is a 501c non profit. Headed by some very dedicated people as a retirement project.

I'm tied down to where I live with my animals, but someone like you could go there and after spending time and taking notes and perhaps discussing the idea with the Mustang Camp owners, perhaps that someone, (you even), could come up with the nuts and bolts of a plan that would actually work on the large scale of many states.

The Mustang Heritage Foundation is running the TIP program for the BLM and they also sponsor the mustang make over competition.

Now on the TIP program, it sounds pretty good to train a mustang to lead, load, and pick up feet for $1000. But you have 6 months to do that in and to also find someone willing to adopt it from the BLM or you get nothing. And you may have already spent $500 on hay. And if you decide to keep the horse, you get nothing again.

I was all for that until I learned I couldn't keep the horse and get $1000.

The mustang camp I sure gets financial support from somewhere but I have no idea if that's really the case.

But if I were going to invest time and soul into hoping to find ways to set up similar camps, I'd talk to them as they would likely bee able to address that straight away.

Just looking at the numbers, it is impressive that they've adopted out 600 mustangs. But over 20 years that's 30 per year. It'd take a lot lot of similar facilities to handle the volume that needs adopting.

But every little bit helps.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #794 ·
"Riding a Horse to Find Magnolia Blossoms" another excellent reason for all American's to have a Mustang horse.

Caveat: Li Ziqi's YouTube Channel is additive.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #795 ·
Does anyone know and want to share a report comparing Canada and US wild horse roundups and processing?

I enjoyed watching the young wild Arabian Gracie’s transformation, which was amazing. I’m looking forward to watching this sweet “Canadian Wildie” transform into a loving horse.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Does anyone know and want to share a report comparing Canada and US wild horse roundups and processing
Unlike the US, Canada does not have a country wide law regarding how free-roaming horses are to be managed. Each individual province sets its' own rules instead. Which can range from "Full protection; These animals are never to be touched." to "No protection; Go ahead and take a trailer out, cram as many of those pests in as you can and haul them to the nearest slaughterhouse."

It's a good system, seems to work fairly well. Of course, I suppose it helps that Canada has never had the sheer numbers of free-roaming horses that the US does. Theirs only four known free-roaming horse groups in the country! They are:- The horses of Sable Island (Located far off the coast of Nova Scotia!), The ponies of Saskatchewan's Bronson Forest, The "Wildies" of Alberta's Rocky Mountain Foothills & British Columbia's Chilcotin Plateau horses.

For more information on general management:- Free-roaming horse management in North America - Wikipedia

Sable Island horse:- Sable Island horse - Wikipedia

Good website about the US situation and America's Mustangs in general:- https://web.archive.org/web/20140811081213/http://www.mustangs4us.com/index.htm

·
Registered
568 Posts
The principle problem faced by the wild horses as well as other wild animals is the out of control over population of **** sapiens that have busted clear through and flattened the AML for **** sapiens and are threatening the extinction of all animals including themselves.

Quote: The wild horses have no reason to fear humans. And we have no reason to fear for the horses, as they are 100 percent protected by the Canadian government—one of the few wild horse populations in the world guided only by mother nature.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #798 ·
The future belongs to today's students. What do they think? What do they want from their public lands?

The United States of America is currently facing many challenges! Opportunities!?!

To maintain and promote a thriving natural ecological balance (TNEB) throughout the country, especially in our shared areas under the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). Addressing the ongoing saga between human playtime use, Herd Management Areas (HMAs) of America's native horse populations, the native flora and fauna, and livestock AUM allocations.

I am looking forward to reviewing the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) and the BLM resource management plan (RMP), its blueprints for America's public landscapes.

IMO universities, colleges, high schools students provide (or could provide) a very powerful team of motivated individuals, clubs, resources to help create and maintain a robust, broad-based scientific assessment of the baseline ecological conditions with proposals to address biodiversity issues and restoration, recovery, and sustainability actions.

The future belongs to today's students. What do they think? What do they want from their public lands?

·
Banned
7 Posts
The wild horses have no reason to fear humans. And we have no reason to fear for the horses, as they are 100 percent protected by the Canadian government—one of the few wild horse populations in the world guided only by mother nature.
That only applies to the Sable Island ponies. The Alberta "Wildies" have no legal protection, nor are they managed by "mother nature". Pre-2014 their numbers were managed by yearly government sanctioned roundups, post-2014 their numbers have been kept surpressed by private citizen "advocates" darting them with PZP vaccines every year.

·
Banned
7 Posts
They either don't know or don't care. I don't think that you fully understand just how niche of an issue this is. I reckon that most of the general public has no idea that the American government even owns large tracts of land out west, let alone that feral horses live on a minority of said land and that there is a huge, decades long debate over how to control their numbers.

The general public usually favors recreation over all other uses for public lands though, which tends to bode ill for the horses. Harassment and all, you know?

781 - 800 of 807 Posts