The Horse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am relatively new to horses. I have grown up around them, but never had one of my own until now! I rescued a 2 yo quarter horse stallion (was actually gelded today) and he stands about 13.1 hands. I was hoping he would get a little taller, as some told me he would. But today the Vet told me that he probably wouldnt get any taller. I had thought that horses grew until they were about 5. Do you think he will get any taller or do you think he is about done growing? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,747 Posts
His legs probably are about done growing but his body has a ways yet to go...
He's still pretty gangly looking to me and "baby-ish" in appearance.
Often once gelded horses do grow a bit taller where as intact studs tend to bulk up from the hormones I had experience with.
He won't be huge by any means, but will probably add a few inches in height and broaden in width as he matures..
Being he was a rescue you may not know his lineage, aka parents or blood line, and as a rescue if his nutrients were depleted {starved} he may be a bit stunted, and then again with good food fed he may surprise many and develop late as some do...
So much is bloodline, so much is nutrition and so much is just luck-of-the-draw.

Welcome to the Forum...

Your guy is a cutie!! :smile:
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
A lot of the growing that happens up until 5 is skeletal - the growth plates are fusing in the joints and spine - plus horses tend to 'fill out' more.

He looks young still - I can definitely see him continue to fill out and widen a bit. I'm sure he could maybe get a bit taller, but others will have a better opinion on that, however, when you say he was 'rescued', does this mean he was deprived of proper nutrients while growing? Because that can matter too.

·
Super Moderator
12,677 Posts
He could potentially put on another 3 to 4 inches. At 2 the still have some growing. More so than a 3 year old that is typically 98% done with height.

·
Premium Member
23,918 Posts
If your vet examined him & knows what they're on about, they're probably a bit more qualified to give that opinion than us, from a couple of photos. Yes, as a general rule, horses can put on an inch or few height after they're 2yo but no, they don't grow *up* much more past then & will instead fill out & their body/skeleton is not mature until around 6yo.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Depends on the horse my gelding grew another 4 inches after two years old. So it does happen,Sticked at 14.2 hands. At 4 years old sticked at 15.2 hands.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I would say at two, yes, he still has some growing to do. How much is anyone's guess. Measure from his cornet band to the middle of his knee. If it measures 14 inches then 14 hands is what he'll probably be. 14 1/2 inches would be 14.2 at maturity 14 3/4 inches would be 14.3 and so on. I find that this is fairly accurate.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi karaline,

I haven't posted in a while, but let me say you have a very nice looking horse. As some others have said, he will continue growing until around 5 or 6 years old. He may get taller, he may not.

But do the horse and you a favor... Don't ride him until at least 3 - 4 years old, and then with a light rider. Start with all your ground work, halter, bridle, saddle. Get him trusting you, the more he trust you, the more he'll respect you as the herd leader.

Since your new to horses, If you haven't already, read all you can get about young horses and their development and training. While he isn't a Tennessee Walking Horse, a trainer by the name of Gary Lane has a great book out about training the gaited horse. While your quarter horse isn't gaited, a lot of the information in the book is really about working with any young horse. I think you could get a lot of info about working with a young horse up until riding time. Gary has a website, just Google him.

Take care, good luck, and Love your horse, he will love you back...

Roger

1 - 8 of 8 Posts