The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have this filly turning 3 this summer. She has always trended about 2” higher at the rear. Currently she’s 14.2 at the withers and 15 hands at the rump. She’s a mustang with heavy Appaloosa influence. I’ve seen adult horses from her HMA that were downhill as adults. I’ve never seen her parents.
At 3 do you think she’ll level out or by this age is there a good chance she’ll end up being downhill?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,727 Posts
At 3 she's close to if not done with skeletal growth. If there are horses in her herd built down hill, being 3 and downhill the likelihood is that she will stay downhill. From this point she'll fill out and except for maybe a fraction of an inch she's basically done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! I have this filly turning 3 this summer. She has always trended about 2” higher at the rear. Currently she’s 14.2 at the withers and 15 hands at the rump. She’s a mustang with heavy Appaloosa influence. I’ve seen adult horses from her HMA that were downhill as adults. I’ve never seen her parents.
At 3 do you think she’ll level out or by this age is there a good chance she’ll end up being downhill?
In my experience, yes - they will be built downhill. That said, I once had a cute lil filly whose hind end was higher than the point fo her withers, quite like yours, and she leveled out nicely, but was still a built a little more downhill than I would like... I say that because when I would ride her in a barrel saddle, it caused me to tilt my pelvis forward- not ideal for trail riding lol. I switched to a trail saddle, which sat me further back, and it was more comfortable. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts