The Horse Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I guess I shouldn't complain....in your neck of the woods I imagine it is windy and cold.
Very true, and some may think it odd, but we love it here - all the fresh air one could imagine, and rivers, lakes, streams and forests as far as the eye can see...... makes up tenfold for the harsh winters :)

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
Very true, and some may think it odd, but we love it here - all the fresh air one could imagine, and rivers, lakes, streams and forests as far as the eye can see...... makes up tenfold for the harsh winters :)
I can imagine - I love the smell of the air after it snows, so crisp. Luckyy you! I have lived in the "high country", and I loved all of it. But, I am originally from AZ, and I have never been able to handle the cold as well as those raised w it.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Riding in the wind is a great way to desensitize your horse(s).
That's true, but it doesn't seem to be my horses that have a problem with it. I try to not ride when it's terribly windy just because it makes me lose my patience in a heartbeat. I get very frustrated when it takes throwing the saddle pad on their back 8 times to be quick enough to get the saddle up there and weigh it down before the wind whips it away.

Plus, if I can't see where I'm going because of all the sand blowing in my eyes, I can't imagine that the horses see any better.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
That's true, but it doesn't seem to be my horses that have a problem with it. I try to not ride when it's terribly windy just because it makes me lose my patience in a heartbeat. I get very frustrated when it takes throwing the saddle pad on their back 8 times to be quick enough to get the saddle up there and weigh it down before the wind whips it away.

Plus, if I can't see where I'm going because of all the sand blowing in my eyes, I can't imagine that the horses see any better.
I agree-(although snow, not sand in the eyes is an issue!), unless it is a matter of life and death, I see no reason to have a miserable ride for myself or my horse :)

21 - 25 of 25 Posts