The Horse Forum banner

Winning Bridleless Ride

2111 Views 18 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Tralauney
Here's a video of Tucker and me at one of the Pine Dell Versatility Challenges, where we won riding (mostly) brideless. Stick with it-- I took the halter off after the first obstacle, when it was fairly obvious he was "with me". :wink:

Please ignore the fact that I look like an old lady. :shock: Other than that, I was really happy with this ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,510 Posts
That's awesome, but I have a question.

If you need the stick to guide him anyway, wouldn't it be EASIER with a bridle? I thought the point of bridleless was to have them trained to your leg and seat?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the point of bridleless was to have them trained to your leg and seat?
Yup, it certainly is. :) Unfortunately, we're not that good yet. I can usually get away without the stick these days when we're bumming around the farm, but it would have been asking for trouble not to have it during a precision competition, at our level of competence.

You'll also notice I didn't walk into the arena with nothing on his head. I honestly had no idea what to expect; it was the first competition I've ridden in since starting NH. I figured it would be dangerous to assume that I'd be riding the same horse that I ride at home. :wink:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What an amazing horse! I've just started parelli and would hope to soemtime get to the point where I can do that with my TB. Thank you for the inspiration!
Thank you for the kind words! Tucker's the kind of horse that I always should have owned-- a nice, lazy LBI to complement my own rather RBI tendencies. Unfortunately, I spent an awfully big chunk of my life clinging to the backs of extreme RBE horses as they exploded right, left and center. :lol:

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LBI? RBi? RBE?
I must be too old to know what that means.
Nice ride and nice horse. YOu, and old lady? hUH?
Ha, ha-- my apologies. I dropped into Parelli-speak for a moment there, since a previous poster said she was doing Parelli as well.

Parelli classifies horses as being broadly either Left Brain (thinkers, non-reactive, non-emotional) or Right Brain (emotional, reactive), and either Introverts (don't really like to move their feet, often called lazy) or Extroverts (move their feet A LOT; often more than you'd like!).

So LBI=Left Brain Introvert (lazy, non-reactive); RBI=Right Brain Introvert (emotional, but tends to shut down or "freeze" when stressed);LBE=Left Brain Extrovert (playful, bold, mischievous); RBE=Right Brain Extrovert (emotional, tends to spook or bolt when frightened).

As you can imagine, the training method for a left brain introvert would be very different than for a right brain extrovert, and so forth. LBIs need mental stimulation to avoid boredom and increase engagement and enthusiasm; RBEs need repetition and consistency to increase confidence and calmness. It's an incredibly useful system, and Parelli folks tend to apply the concepts to people as well, like a shorthand Meyers-Briggs test. :)

As for looking like an old lady, my posture here (or lack thereof) is a scary, scary thing (for me, at least!). Need. More. Pilates. :cry:

· Registered
1,921 Posts
well done that was great.......just wondering how long did it take you to be able to do that?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well done that was great.......just wondering how long did it take you to be able to do that?
Thank you, Caitlinpalomino!

There's a short answer and a long answer to your question. The short answer is that Tucker became my Parelli levels horse (the one I focus on while learning Parelli Natural Horsemanship using the old study-at-home levels packs) in late 2004, and I took the bridle off for the first time after reaching Level Three in late 2006. This video was taken last summer.

The long answer is that I've been riding since I was 9, and was introduced to natural horsemanship (not Parelli, just generic NH) when I was 19. I'm pushing 40 now. I don't feel like I made huge strides in my horsemanship while riding until starting with Parelli, though I learned a lot about groundwork from other NH sources.

Of course it's not set in stone, but I feel it is totally reasonable for a fairly fit and athletic individual with an uncomplicated horse (that part's important!) to reach Parelli level 3/4-- and bridleless riding-- in 3 years.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm not doing the "levels" yet, I know someone who's a trainer and sends me the DVD's when I need a new one. Right now I have the Horseonalities, the 7 Games, and the Stick 2 Me DVDs. I'm about ready to send them back for the next ones :)
I *love* the old Levels packs. Maybe you could ask for one for Christmas. :)

Ebay is about the only place to get the old ones these days, but that's good, because they're much cheaper than buying the new kits from parelli.com. There's one here with a current bid of $15.50.

· Registered
317 Posts
So impressive!
*claps*
I'm doing mixed bitless/bareback NH with my boy but I'm a few years from achieving zero head-gear riding!
Really inspires me!
Keep it up ;)

· Registered
671 Posts
haha good job!!! I can steer without headgear and I'm okay on the bareback...but my HUGE issue is that my horse has zero brakes so I can't ACTUALLY get away with not using a bridle except for at the walk :)

· Registered
671 Posts
Oh...mine's an arab QH too! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.