The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am looking to buy a wintec english saddle. i was wondering if the size of the channel is the same in both the regular and wide versions. everything i read has only talked about the gullet but i can change that. if anyone knows or has the measurements of their own wintec that would be great. Thanks :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and if there is a difference should i go with a wide or regular channel. my horse is a 16hand paint quarterhorse. she weighs about 1150lbs. i dont think this pick will help but its the best i have that has her back in it. ill upload another pic of her spine asap.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Bear in mind the Wintec Wides START at XXW and get wider (plus the tree is substantially flatter). I remember someone posting they'd managed to get an XXW gullet in a standard Wintec but it's not recommended.

It's difficult to see the shoulder angle from your pic but it suggests you wouldn't need more than an XW, so a std Wintec ought to fit.

From memory the Wide has a wider channel right at the rear, but not by much. Don't quote me, though :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought a wintec 500 dressage saddle online it said wide so what I'm hoping I can do is switch to a smaller gullet if need be. I don't think she'll need any bigger than a wide :) if the channel is wider at the rear that will be perfect I think. Thanks for your input unclearthur. It actually realy helps :) ill know by Friday if it'll work or not

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ah - was it a Wintec 500 Wide, or simply a Wintec 500 with wide gullet fitted? I'm assuming you know they're two different saddles?

If it was a 500 Wide, I doubt you'll reduce it to a wide (red) gullet width because of the tree, though I know someone who managed to shoehorn in an extra-wide (white) gullet so you may be okay :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its the wide. not the regular with the wide plate. Thanks for all your help. im gonna see how it fits when it gets here and maybe see if i can get a smaller plate in it if needed . worst situation would befor me tohave to send it back and all id have to pay for was shipping it back to the store. so really not to big a deal.:) thanks again for all your help unclearthur. if i manage to get a red or white plate in ill post a pic lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I ride my aunts 16hh quarter/paint in the wintec all purpose 500 without cair in the medium wide gullet. The wide gullet pate looked good but when I got in the saddle it sat too low. I have a feeling you will need to return it and get the standard wintec. :/
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the saddle yesterday and tried it on my girl today. It fits great. I think I'm going to have to change the gullet down a size but otherwise it's perfect not too wide :) thanks or all of your input I really appreciate it :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Probably not much help, but I had a Wintec 500 Jump and the channel was HUGE on my TB mare. The panels even hung over her back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.