The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had this problem with these girths and I'm wondering if anyone else has had it and if they have any tips because I have to deal with mine for awhile until my new one comes in..

Is it just me or is it next to impossible to tighten these? I certainly don't ever over-tighten my girth or anything, but just make it snug enough that I know it's not going to slide or anything.

I have only had this issue with the Wintec line of girths, both the long types and dressage types. It seems like maybe the rollers have too much give or something like that...as soon as I release any tension at all in the girth strap it rolls back and I can't move it up to the new hole..if that makes sense. To get it tightened just a normal amount basically requires that I pull it with all of my might and I certainly don't want to be yanking on my poor horse like that.

Has anyone had this issue and found a solution? It's so bad that I feel that I can't ride at all until I get my new girth in, because it's the only girth I have for my new dressage saddle. :-( Thankfully I rushed the shipping on it, but still! That's good riding time I'm losing over this!

Thanks for any and all input! :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ps I just have to note, "elastic" my butt! The girth doesn't stretch at all, nothing like normal girths with elastic ends. I get what they were going for but it didn't work! D= I swear, these are the only Wintec products I've ever been unsatisfied with, personally.

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
Hmmm, mine always sat a tiny bit loose on my boy, but if you put it up to the next hole it would be to tight. So I put a girth cover on it and it seemed to help. Also I find getting on with it a tiny bit loose and then tighting it from there sometimes helps.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I hate elastic girths with a passion. I have only ever experienced the wintec ones though so it may just be those!

My friend uses one and her saddle has slipped so many times even with a hugely tight girth. It drives me mad! I hate them.

I use the normal wintec girths with the anti-gall coating but not elastic and they have always done me very well :]

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I used a wintec girth for about.... 2 weeks. Ran into the same problem, it wouldn't feel tight on the sides, but underneath the horse (that you can't check when mounted) it was EXTREMELY tight. I felt soooo bad. That girth has been hanging in my locker since.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a wintec as well and yeah I have to pull w/ all my might to get to the next hole otherwise it's way too loose. But this has mostly been with my new leather saddle (Wintec Isabell prior) so I was just thinking the holes didn't align w/ my horse's needs. Also sometimes I think I've got it tight but as soon as I get on my horse the girth is woefully too loose and I have to tighten while seated (what a pain). I do walk my horse around before getting on and tighten along the way so I don't just think she's bloating for me.

The purpose of the center elastics then the sides is so we don't over tighten, but I agree that I'm not sure that's solving the issue. I think I'll try out the other leather girths I have to see how things line up with my saddle - maybe I'll get better results.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one I'm replacing mine with is a nice black fleece girth with the elastic straps on both ends by the buckles, those I've had the very best luck with. I really liked the last girth I had for my AP saddle which was similar, I'm hoping that this new one will be able to reproduce that for my new saddle.

This one is just driving me crazy! It's really too bad, though, I really like the look of it with my saddle since it has the same material, haha, but oh well..
I'm glad (well not really glad but you know what I mean) that I'm not the only one having this problem! For awhile I was wondering if maybe it was just me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.