The Horse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My horse Steppin has a very long coat during the winter and I can't get him to shed it off and we have shows coming up and he can't look like this. He has a blanket and sheet on but it doesn't seem to help at all. The vet looked at him and said there is nothing wrong with him. What do I do?

P.S. Does any one know where to get a inexpensive neck cover.

Any advise would be appreciated.

THANKS!!!:D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
sounds like you need to body clip him. hes not going to shed out until spring & if his coat has already come in its too late to use blanketing to prevent coat growth.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Gypsygirl is right, you have to clip. Putting a blanket on won't make him shed, he'll only start doing that when the days start getting longer.

·
Banned
43 Posts
I would clip him then put a blanket on him so he doesn't get too cold.My horse Molly a 19 year old QH looks terrible right now.She hates clippers (the noise of them) so i can't clip her.I have five horses ( i lost my camrea).

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been blanketing science September and he still got a 1" long coat. How do I prevent him from getting a long coat next year??? What size blade do I need to body clip him and where can I get clipper blades cheap??

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i would go to a farm & fleet or similar type store. what kind of clippers do you have ??

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
if he already has a coat, blanketing won't make him shed it.......... the vet shoulda told ya that. You could try clipping his hair(shaving), and then you would have to keep him blanketed.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
To keep him from growing a long coat he'll need blankets and he'll have to be kept under lights to simulate longer daylight hours so his body doesn't go "days are short, about to get colder, must grow winter coat".

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
The ONLY thing that will make a horse shed is light. It dose not matter how many blankets you put on him if he is not getting at least 16 hours of light a day he will not shed out. I do not like clipping especially this late in the year. If you had done it back in Oct it would not be too bad but now you will end up having problems into the spring and summer with a nasty looking coat.

I do not know how long you have but I would start with the lights keep him blanketed and hope for the best.

·
Registered
452 Posts
To keep his coat short, you need to have him under lights to simulate longer days. If you put him under lights now, you won't see results for about 60 days. If you need immediate results, you'll probably need to body clip.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts