The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It snowed the other day, and when I went to my horse, I picked out her feet, they were all full of snow and ice packed in there (she wears shoes).

Once I got down to the hoof.. I noticed that on the heels of her hooves.. it is sort of white and soft, and gross looking. Same with on her frog on a couple of her hooves.

On one of the hooves, the frog and heel is sort of purpley coloured and gross looking.
And on the hoof wall, just below the coronary band, on the frontside, there is a little white damp line..

I am not sure if the snow gross conditions makes horses hooves damp, and sort of soggy,soft?
I dont think she has thrush.. b/c it doesnt smell, and it is not goopy.

Any help would be great, as I dont know much about horse's feet.. :)

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody? i really need advice!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Could it be White Line? Razz got it a few months back. Took forever for it to go away. He started going lame, we had 2 farriers out, and then the vet diagnosed it. His hooves were flaking a little, and a boarder said that it was a sign of fungus.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I don't really know about the purpleness. But, from what you described just below the coronary band sounds normal. It's kinda like our cuticles and nail, if we have them stay wet for a long period of time they absorb the liquid and look funny. This same thing happens to horses hooves. It's normal for them to soften a little bit but underneath it should still be strong and healthy.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Does she appear to be in any pain or have a temperature(infection)?

·
Registered
562 Posts
im not too sure ether, but to help with the snow and ice building up in her feet ask your farrier to put winter shoes on her. their regular shoes but he/she will put a rubber peice on before the shoe and the rubber keeps snow and ice from building up. and if you want studs for ice, he/she will do that too

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
The snow does no harm to the foot and actually cleans it very well. The colors you see are from the cleaning action of the snow. I shoe and I love bringing in a horse from outside, popping the snow and seeing the clean foot.
If your horse is shod it should/needs pads, either rim or full but you must have some sort of pad. You also need some form of traction, borium, drill tec or studs but you must never just use a flat shoe in the winter.

Your horse is far more dangerous shod improperly for the snow then barefoot.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Why does she have shoes on during the winter anyways?? Thats not safe really at all. Or at least get pads for her feet!

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
Why does she have shoes on during the winter anyways?? Thats not safe really at all. Or at least get pads for her feet!

Actually a PROPERLY shod horse is far safer on ice then a barefoot horse.
But a poorly shod horse is a danger and would be better off barefoot.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Actually a PROPERLY shod horse is far safer on ice then a barefoot horse.
But a poorly shod horse is a danger and would be better off barefoot.

True, but still. That cold metal against there hoof shoots right up the leg, and can cause a lot of problems.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She has to wear shoes on her 2 front feet, as she has an old injury to one of her front hooves, and needs a shoe on to support it.

The farrier is coming tommorow, he is going to take off her back shoes, and put new shoes on her front feet with borium, and pads to keep the snow and ice from building up :)
I am really excited to see the result, I sure hope it works to keep the snow out! Or else I wont be able to ride until Spring! :(

Thanks for everyones posts, there isnt really any purpleness anymore.. its actually pretty good now, just a little white :)

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Thats good! I am glad youre getting it all taken care of !! It seems like you are really ready and truly committed to your horse!

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Your horse is far more dangerous shod improperly for the snow then barefoot.
Very true!

When we have really sticky snow around I clean their hoofs from the snow packs every time I go down there. Although they don't seem to care much about it. The only concern is if the snow partially melt and becomes the ice. Then it can cut the leg (had this experience before, now keep bell boots on both whenever we have something like that on ground).

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The farrier came, looked at her feet, and said that she was not trimmed correctly by her previous farrier, because he trimmed them on a slant, the front was shorter than the back, making it lean, and put pressure on the shoes..
She has worn shoes for a really long time, never taken off only to change the shoes.

The farrier said that she actually doesnt need shoes on for her old injury, and that if they were to be left on longer, she would probably go lame.

So its all good now, he is coming back again in a month to finish leveling off her hooves, and now snow doesnt get caught in there and i can ride! :D

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Where are the pictures of you and her riding!!! I wanna seee! =)

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
If your horse is shod it should/needs pads, either rim or full but you must have some sort of pad. You also need some form of traction, borium, drill tec or studs but you must never just use a flat shoe in the winter.
No. You do NOT need pads. You do NOT need studs or borium.

We compete all winter. Our horses are turned out all day, every day. We knock snow out as necessary. No problems with their shoes.

·
Banned
1,566 Posts
No. You do NOT need pads. You do NOT need studs or borium.

We compete all winter. Our horses are turned out all day, every day. We knock snow out as necessary. No problems with their shoes.
You can not run just shoes without borium or some form of traction. A plain shoe is too slippery on ice.
You can not run without pads of some sort or you snowball badly.
Running with just plain shoes is what gives shoing a bad name in the winter.
You are better off barefoot.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
You can not run just shoes without borium or some form of traction. A plain shoe is too slippery on ice.
You can not run without pads of some sort or you snowball badly.
Running with just plain shoes is what gives shoing a bad name in the winter.
You are better off barefoot.
On the advice of my farrier who has been doing our horses for over 22 years (and never felt the need to hit one with a rasp), I think we will stick with what works for our horses.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.