The Horse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding in my muck boots (I have extra-wide endurance type stirrups with cages) but firstly, they are rather cold (trying out chemical warmers today), and second, I get my calves pinched by my leathers. And third, the big snow tread on them feels unsafe in stirrups. I can't wear my normal half chaps, obviously, and that is beginning to bug me.

I have looked at insulated paddock boots online but some reviewers say they can't fit half chaps over (Ariats, I remember) so that would be pointless.

I could pony up for tall boots, but I have short legs and tall boots are usually too tall for me. Back of leg from floor to knee is about 15" and they don't make boots that short in women's sizes. I was lucky to find short half chaps!

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,048 Posts
If it is really cold, single digits cold, I ride in Sorel's with wool socks. I have a light pair of chaps that protect my legs from the leathers

A friend bought some Dublins that are warm for an hour or so, but they are super tall and rub at the back of the leg, so not at all comfortable.

Another rides in well insulated ankle boots and wears half chaps.

I hope you find something that works for you. It's hard.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Fleece insoles in my paddock boots made a big difference. I've also stuffed those single use warming things in my footbed. I'm a wimp when it comes to cold temperatures as I've had frostbite before in my feet and they haven't been the same since.

A winter tall boot I bought a couple years back was so thick I couldn't feel my horse but maybe I was being fussy.
Usually I ride in a winter paddock boot with 'winter' half chaps that might not zip all the way to clear room for the extra width of the boot.

·
Registered
7,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, too icy to ride right now and I'm going to be traveling for a week, but I have some ideas now. I might get insulated paddock boots, and sheepskin covers for my leathers. My Arctic Riding Skirt covers my legs to the ankle, and if I wear my lined winter breeches I may be good to go!

I'm anxious to try it out, anyway.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'm super short (4'11") and went out on a limb because I'm riding without an indoor arena for the first time, so bought some affordable tall winter boots this year: https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/ovation-highlander-winter-tall-boot-20411

Surprisingly, they actually fit! They come righttt up to below my knee but don't seem to restrict movement. They have pros and cons, and not sure they could deal with the level of snow you get compared to what I get.

Pros: Pretty warm and up to the ankle is waterproof, feels sturdy and stiff (in a good way) for riding, comfortable enough for groundwork. Keeps my leg up to the knee warmer than my leather half chaps. Feels great in stirrups. Really decent for that cheap [not cheap for me - but cheap for equestrian stuff, haha] price.

Cons: Wish I had sized up - I can't wear my thick wool socks with them, the zipper is still reallyyy tight and ideally I need my husband to help me zip them despite coming in an inch or two under the calf size listed (just due to how my calf is shaped). The foot isn't extremely insulated, just some fleece I think.

It sounds like you may have found a solution already, but we very short-calfed women need to help each other out! I struggle all the time. :)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I'm 5'2 and I've been really happy with my Dublins. I've had the Pinnacle and the River boot, for ME and my riding, I prefer the River boot. I wear them year round, in the water and everything and they hold up pretty well! They don't get too hot in the summer but stay decently warm in the winter with thick socks.

I've heard good things about Ariats winter boots but my calves are too wide for them LOL! The dublins fit amazing though.

I did just get a more offbrand pair last year when my River boots were worn out, they zip all the way up, I thought that was nifty. They arent as nice or warm though. My favorite part about the dublins is they have the build in half chap basically!

·
Registered
591 Posts
You might like the Mountain Horse Active Paddock boots. I bought a pair last winter and have worn them last and this winter. They are honestly one of my favorites now and I often wear them out casually too. They are able to fit under half chaps and are not bulky like alternatives, but are still warm (have faux fur covering the inside). They are zip ups too, but the ankle is fitted and not loose like some other zip ups I've tried before. The zipper has also held up really well for me, since I've worn them almost everyday last winter.

They do run big though and don't have half sizes. I'm a 7.5 in Ariats and take a 6 in these boots, but could have probably dealt with the 7s too.

Here is a link to the different types of winter boots MH has

https://mountainhorseusa.com/footwear/winter-boots

1 - 7 of 7 Posts