The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who live in the US has undoubtedly heard about the winter storm that hit the south. The Atlanta area (where I live) has been in chaos, mainly because, as a southern state, we were no where near prepared for the weather to hit. People have been stranded in their cars for 12+ hours, kids had to stay at schools overnight, it's been nuts!

But anyway, onto the horse pictures :) And maybe a couple dogs, too.

These were from yesterday, when it all started.
My Shelties enjoying the snow-- the darker one is 14 and she LOVES snow. Can you tell?

Mellow after getting some grain.

Best idea ever-- I needed bigger feed bowls because the beet pulp swells so much after it's soaked that it would fill up the bowls and so much would get wasted as they dug around for the sweet feed (the sweet feed is to get them to actually eat the beet pulp). But big troughs are expensive! Then I remembered I bought a few kiddie pools super cheap at the end of the season, and TA- DA! Waste proof feed bowls. They're tied to the fence so they don't get pulled into the pasture.

Ginger had ice in her mane (and hanging off her blanket)

So did Mellow (he's so filthy. I can't wait till it's warm enough to wash him)

Here they are this morning! Still standing. In the background is a car that got stranded last night around 11:30. And look at that fancy pole barn my husband built! Still waiting on the roof, but it keeps the hay from getting soaked.

Mellow is almost camouflaged in this weather... except for that bright blue blanket.

Pretty mare waiting on more grain (even though they've already been fed this morning).

Last one for now is of my young dog. She's almost 3. This is her first snow, and she loves it.

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Nice Pics....

Yes, the people at the DOT and the School System did not listen to the weather forecasters and TOTALLY messed things up around here.....

I will not begin to say what I really think of them...... :wink:

·
Registered
695 Posts
I have a friend that lives in the Atlanta area. She called last night to tell us that her husband left his car on the side of the road and walked home. Everything is in grid lock, and he wanted to get home. If he hadn't walked, he would still be in traffic today! We had a good laugh about how 2 inches of snow devastates the south. Here in Maine, we get buried in 3 feet of snow and our bosses expect us to still be here, on time, and ready to go! Interesting how different it is. Although I am sure you guys don't have the same things we do to prepare/ deal with the storm... Snow plows, roads that get pre-treated before the storm hits, snow tires, studded snow tires, etc etc...

Looks like the animals are enjoying the snow! That part is the same here- our horses and dogs LOVE to play in the snow! Your white horse looks a little un-impressed in the pictures though!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It must be confusing to be hit with snow when you live in an area that normally doesn't get it. Hope everyone is safe and coping well!

·
Registered
13,661 Posts

Snow almost always turns into Ice around here, there us a huge difference than the snow you get in the north.... we still have a 1/2" or more of Ice this morning.

It was funny, the News just reminded us that the Mayor of Atlanta said exactly at this time 10am yesterday, that the City Workers were ready for the Weather Coming in..... lol.... what a joke.....

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mellow is usually unimpressed with everything.

And yeah, we're totally unprepared for this sort of weather. We could have been BETTER prepared if steps were taken BEFORE the weather hit, but by the time people realized the winter weather was coming it was too late. Everyone hit the road to head home at the same time, but the roads were so icy that they couldn't make it up hills or on/ off ramps.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Stay safe guys!

That happened to us the other week. But it was the forecasters fault!
They said the ice would hit around 4pm, normally that means 8pm...
So everyone sent their kids to school, the ice started at 9am!
Hundreds of kids had to sleep over, parents were getting in wrecks trying to
get to them, hospitals were complete chaos, all the roads were closed because
emergency vehicles were getting stuck working the wrecks. INSANITY!

Our DD had to stay THREE DAYS with friends because we got 2 inches of ICE and couldn't get to town. I had a premonition the night before this all happened,
should have listened to my gut and kept the kid home.
Won't make that mistake again!

Stay warm pretty ponies!

Reactions: SouthernTrails

·
Registered
127 Posts
Since your beautiful young Sheltie loves snow you should send her up my way!! We just put our Sheltie down on the second of January and I love heading dogs. We have gotten so much snow that in parts if the city there's no room to put it, they have to truck it out and dump it in parks or golf courses.

·
Registered
49,777 Posts
I was wondering if it wasn't realliy an issue of the snow being ICE, rather than just htat drivers in teh South can't drive in snow. Around here, it's a bit similar. the snow is very wet, compacts down to ice and we have nothing but hills, and not as many snowplows as perhaps in the East or Midwest. But , we are not usually paralized by 3 inches, however, if it's a true ice storm, it is not to be sneezed at.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I'm sorry but it makes me laugh (all in good nature) when the people from the south get snow.

I have a friend who lives in NC (I'm in Michigan) and he said that they shut down schools and people went in ditches with their cars all over two inches of snow.

Of course, his friends can't understand why I have an outdoor pool lol. 'Cause obviously Michigan is a perpetual ice cap :rofl:

How much snow do you have down there, anyway? We have like 2.5 feet at my school right now. It looked like you have a pretty decent amount though.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
My husband's Aunt lives in Peachtree City GA, and said they cleared the roads very well there, but it was the Interstate that got left until the last, and everyone got out at the same time... I couldn't imagine being gridlocked here over a few inches - we're @ the 4' mark, and my husband is having a hard time like others finding new places to shove our snow! The 6" in my avatar began in Oct, and it's been snowing ever since.... Except maybe 2 whole days! (Sound familiar, Tiny? haha) :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm originally from Atlanta. Snellville actually and have relatives in Peachtree City. My heart goes out to everyone that had to go through this mess. I'm in Kentucky and we see ice and snow here frequently so we're use to it. People here are laughing about the whole Atlanta mess but unless they have lived in Atlanta, they have no clue. Ya'll aren't use to it and probably don't have the equipment to keep the roads clear. I don't ever remember it getting icy when I lived down there. I will have to say, someone dropped the bomb on this one though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts