The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone still trail riding?

Here we've got about about half a meter of snow, I can't wait to get on the trails!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
There have only been a few days that were some what decent to ride, not bitterly cold, since we got snow but I had to work. Otherwise it has been just too cold. Hoping for a little warmer weather in the New year!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I am, it was 76 today, and Im hoping to tomorrow as well but they are predicting thunderstorms

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Haven't ridden in over a month due to dw being sick and then rain when she feeling better.

Rain forecast this weekend so no riding for us.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
14,984 Posts
Last time I was out on the trails was November 30th. Since then, we have had -30C temps, then blizzards. I do like the trails as there is not as much snow under the canopy of the forest, however sometimes trees sag under the weight of the snow and block easy access to anywhere.

Snow Winter Branch Tree Black-and-white

Reactions: phantomhorse13

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Anyone still trail riding?
Riding all the time, although I'd be happier with a few less days in the 70's and few more in the 60's or even 50's. Next month will be even better since our 5 month hunting season will finally end (and hopefully fewer days in the 70's). Winter is the best time for riding. Mots of Autumn and Spring are pretty good too.

June - Aug is when the temperatures (heat and humidity) limit the amount of riding I can comfortably do (or want to subject my horses too).

Reactions: flytobecat

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
The next two day will be pushing 80. It's about 60 right now, but should get to lower 50's sometime tonight (I hope).

·
Registered
9,707 Posts
Back in my 20's & 30's, the first day, evening, or even night (depending on friends & my work schedule) of sticking snow meant we all got together for a trail ride. In my 40's & 50's I've become a fair weather rider. LOL

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I live in Oregon and we have finally had a warming trend. It was 37 degrees today!!!

We took the herd to our favorite trail nearby and rode in the snow.

Snow Winter Freezing Tree Bunker

The reserve used to be a military base and internment camp during WWII, and there are at least 12 of these bunkers on the ride.

Horse Bridle Snow Halter Rein

This is Kim riding Millie, our "little baby girl" and ponying April.

Horse Bridle Mammal Halter Rein

Me riding Ella a black KSMH and ponying April.

We rode for 2 hours in the snow. We ran up on a small buck and two little does, then saw the hunters, a man and his child. I waved and said hello but they weren't very friendly despite the fact that we had moved the deer right into them. We rode off in the opposite direction as the deer to avoid being shot. The preserve pretty much has no rules: trapping, hunting, dogs off leash, horses...I have never seen an ATV there but I have never seen a sign posted that says you can't.

I think next time we will wear something brighter.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Well poop, thunder and lightning no trail riding for me and Spot. Guess Ill have to suck it up and brave the wilderness of the mall and do some danged Christmas shopping.:cry:

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I have been getting Dream out for her rehab rides as the weather allows. The boys are getting some time off (as they always do at the end of the season).

Its been unusually cold and snowy so far.. until today. Today it was 53 (normal high is 39) and tomorrow its going to be 65! Sounds lovely, until you look at all the melting snow which is turning into ankle-deep mud.. and its supposed to get cold again starting Monday, meaning whatever is left will freeze solid. Least we aren't getting the 2 inches of rain originally forecast for the weekend, but only passing showers. Never thought I would be wishing for snow!

104 Posts
advice help? cold trails :)

I am still riding. I ride on a gravel road for now. Its also icy outside. :/ but never the less I hit the trails! :) does anyone have advice about trail riding? Anything?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I need to move to your area. I am still riding but it was 42 degrees. It wasn't windy so it was nice.

Riding all the time, although I'd be happier with a few less days in the 70's and few more in the 60's or even 50's. Next month will be even better since our 5 month hunting season will finally end (and hopefully fewer days in the 70's). Winter is the best time for riding. Mots of Autumn and Spring are pretty good too.

June - Aug is when the temperatures (heat and humidity) limit the amount of riding I can comfortably do (or want to subject my horses too).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Now that I am older and in my seventies about 40 degrees is the coldest that I can hack it. My wife and I have given ourselves Christmas presents of "Under Armor" long underwear, and Merino wool socks and we are ready to brave the elements. The cold feet thing is a problem for me though. I just can't make myself wear rubber pack boots and such. I guess styling has its draw backs.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I need to move to your area. I am still riding but it was 42 degrees. It wasn't windy so it was nice.
Weather today.
All I see is a clear, sunny sky and it's 60.
High is suppose to be 63 (it's still warming up) and the low is only suppose to reach 53.
A great day for riding (which is what I'm leaving to do now that I've finished the dishes and put a stew on for tonight).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Weather today.
All I see is a clear, sunny sky and it's 60.
High is suppose to be 63 (it's still warming up) and the low is only suppose to reach 53.
A great day for riding (which is what I'm leaving to do now that I've finished the dishes and put a stew on for tonight).
Quit rubbing it in!!! I'm, stuck at work today.:lol:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts