The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for fly masks with the funny faces on them (let me know if you know where I can get em!) and came across this article

How to Make Your Own Fly Mask for Horses | eHow.com

Would you do this? I don't think I would.. Wire mesh around a horse's eyes? Wire mesh with exposed edges?
Plus, correct me if I'm wrong, but she says not to let it touch the horse's skin. Well um, won't the flies just bypass this? I think I'm going to comment and tell her that that could be very dangerous..

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Wow, that is some pretty scary advice.

Linky to fun fly masks

Edit to add: Darn it the link does not take you right to fly masks. Just do a search for fly masks and they will come up.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
That's one of the most moronic and dangerous things I've ever heard.

You can BUY fly masks for about $10.00, so why would you want to make one made out of wire mesh?

No, that's not an eye accident waiting to happen, is it? Gaahhh! :x

Stupid should hurt. Very, very badly.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Good point on the price, SR. I bet the wire mesh would cost more than buying an inexpensive mask.

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
try horse.com....... on their magazene they had some awesome ones!lol
try a search on their website to see if you can find any. :)

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Wow! That "how to" definitely deserves to be mentioned at the Fugly Horse of the Day. I'm just completely speechless. Wire mesh! Unbelievable!

The worst thing is there are ALWAYS idiots out there who will try to make it. :evil:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Oh HELL no!!! I can remember re-screening some of my windows and my fingers ended up all kinds of cut up from the wire mesh. Why not just make one of these (
) with double edged razor blades tied at the bottom?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh HELL no!!! I can remember re-screening some of my windows and my fingers ended up all kinds of cut up from the wire mesh. Why not just make one of these (
) with double edged razor blades tied at the bottom?
Good idea.. I'll get started on my ehow article now!!!
Seriously though.. People should be very wary of who writes these articles, I checked on that contributor and she's written over 200 articles and I think the fly mask one is the only one even remotely about horses!

·
Registered
335 Posts
But the scary thing is, we are all sitting here thinking & knowing how stupid of an idea it is to execute.....I wonder how many people have read the article and actually gone out and DONE it????

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
I love that there is a tip about not using scissors near the horses face to avoid the risk of injury - on a "how to" instruction that is putting exposed wire mesh ends near the horses eyes!

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
Jimcro, I'd rather buy a premade mask that I know is only cloth and fabric mesh, than mess around with wire mesh. That stuff is nasty.

The Justin brand masks are durable, lightweight, and inexpensive. Why use something that could seriously injure your horse's eyes when for very little money you can get a good, sturdy, safe flymask?

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
Yeah.

All I can think of is how many times I get home from work and my horse comes up to fence with his/her fly mask hanging off his face in some not right way.

Can you imagine the damage that would be done if part of the mask was wire mesh and it was poking into the eye all day? Oh yuck!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
No way, not for me, that's for sure!! I don't like putting a normal fly mask on unless I have too...Lol! Let alone putting on a 'metal' fly mask? No thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.