The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Monday I am having all four wisdom teeth removed. They are putting me right under for the whole thing. I'm not too worried about the anesthesia as I had it before when I broke my arm but I'm more worried about everything after!! I've read scary stories about people throwing up a lot after, being really swollen bad and lots of pain. Ugh! Well hopefully mine won't be too bad. If anyone has any advice of things to do to make it all easier I'd be happy to hear it! Well, if I do survive I'll let you guys know how it went! :D

·
Registered
594 Posts
If possible, I recommend laughing gas instead of going under. In my opinion it makes heal-time faster, but it's really dependent on the individual.

You really have no need to worry. I have been the dental assistant at a handful of wisdom teeth extractions. They are typically very quick.

I recommend stocking up on easy to eat foods that require little to no chewing. Do not smoke, suck on a straw, etc as that will cause problems with the healing.

You may do just fine. I had mine out (all four) and ate steak and potatoes that night for dinner. I had no pain and the healing time was extremely quick.

Definitely pack some napkins/kleenex/guaze for the drive home. Some people bleed like it's going out of style. And don't try to eat anything for a while, your lower lip will be useless and numb. ;)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! They already scheduled me for the general anesthesia so I think I'll have to go that way. They aren't coming through yet either so I think it may be a longer surgery. I'll be sure to get foods that are soft so I don't have to chew anything hard. I don't smoke so that isn't a problem and I won't use a straw. I hope I don't bleed too much but I'll take lots of stuff along in case.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Never herd of laughing gas for wisdom teeth. I went to an oral surgeon for mine, and I think they always put you out. Mine were kind of hard to get out, so I might have been freaked out if I was awake.

·
Super Moderator
22,658 Posts
Over here they usually do it in local anesthesia.

Can you ask some effective painkillers that you can take after the operation?

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I got mine out this past spring and I was terrified. They put me out for it and I am SO glad! I don't think I could have handled the things they do to get them out otherwise. I'm a chicken though. The healing time wasn't too terribly bad. I had a bit of lingering pain for a couple of weeks but now they're perfectly fine. It was odd though with mine..they didn't stitch up the holes. I think I would have been much better off if they did because food kept getting stuck in the pits and it was very hard to get some of it out so I think that ended up irritating the sockets some because the bottom ones were the the only ones that bothered me, no issues with the top ones. Just my guess though. Just be sure to keep them clean and follow the directions they give you and you'll be back to normal in no time!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
You dont get them fully closed usually, so they drain. I had to wash them out with salt water and a syringe till the holes healed. I had stitches around the gums of my other teeth, not sure why. But the stitches all came out on their own.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Never herd of laughing gas for wisdom teeth. I went to an oral surgeon for mine, and I think they always put you out. Mine were kind of hard to get out, so I might have been freaked out if I was awake.
I hope only an oral surgeon did yours! A regular dentist shouldn't be performing it. ETA: Some dentists DO perform it but hopefully they have the proper training for it.

I have to do laughing gas because nothing else works. My husband did laughing gas by request because I had such an easy time with it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks for the advice! They already scheduled me for the general anesthesia so I think I'll have to go that way. They aren't coming through yet either so I think it may be a longer surgery. I'll be sure to get foods that are soft so I don't have to chew anything hard. I don't smoke so that isn't a problem and I won't use a straw. I hope I don't bleed too much but I'll take lots of stuff along in case.
It depends on the way your wisdom teeth are growing in. Some peoples grow in sideways!

Most wisdom teeth are extracted while still in the gum. Basically, the surgeon makes a slit and the tooth practically pops right out (I am not kidding!) then the surgeon makes sure the entire tooth has been removed and will stitch if necessary. It's an amazingly easy process depending on impaction.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Well some people get them pulled after they grown in, so I think maybe a dentist could do that? not sure

I hate getting local anethetic, my nerves are along my jaw line so it take like 5 shots to numb me (well to hit the right spot), and by then I cant feel the side of my face and I cant open my eye lol.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I hate getting local anethetic, my nerves are along my jaw line so it take like 5 shots to numb me (well to hit the right spot), and by then I cant feel the side of my face and I cant open my eye lol.

Haha yeah, my nerves run a bit funny so laughing gas is where it's at for me. Plus, it makes me feel all warm and happy hahahaha!

Most do local anesthetic and either nitrous oxide (laughing gas) or an IV sedative.

I did the laughing gas and local anesthetic. I was able to drive myself home and stop for a bite to eat on the way (okay, a Wendy's shake - not the most nutritious!)

·
Super Moderator
26,532 Posts
I used to be a dental assistant. My dentist couldn't wait to get me in the chair. We had a cancellation one afternoon so he called me in, slapped my down...shot me with lidocaine and popped out the top one really quickly. The bottom two he had to cut the gum and then drill the bone. They were in their good. I was awake the entire time, didn't feel a thing.

He couldn't pull the other top one out becuase it's way up high and grown in an odd direction. He said he wasn't sure how he'd get it, maybe go through the pallet and then he said it was really close to my sinus cavity so we left it. Hasn't ever bothered me yet so....

He gave me codeine, I think I took it the first day but I don't like that stuff. He also gave me a week long dosage of steroids. I remember the next day I was all swelled up like a chipmunk... It wasn't that bad, I even went out for speghetti the day I got them pulled. (I couldn't eat it... thought I could but nope...didn't happen). I ate ramon noodles for a week and lost some weight though! teehee...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Don't worry too much. I had all 4 out at once...pain meds ROCK! I was eating pizza two days later. No big deal...

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
It will be a walk in the park then. GA are the best for almost any surgery. I have the option to go with a regional for a few cases on my wrist but always went the general anesthetic route. It can be rough to wake up from but you won't be in pain during the procedure and you won't remember a thing.

You'll "survive" :lol:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Food-wise, I recommend a little broth to start off with, 'cause you'll have swallowed alot of blood. That's how most people end up throwing up. Drink lots of water, but if you're not having stitches, DON'T SWILL IT! Too much pressure can remove the blood clots and cause a heap of pain. I recommend using a straw and not to eat anything too hot or cold. Very soft foods to start off with, as your jaw will be very tender.
I had really impacted wisdom teeth, so I was on pain meds for a good week or so and on soft foods for about 2-3 weeks, but I was an exctreme case. You should be fine. :)

·
Super Moderator
26,532 Posts
yeah, what she said. No sucking through a straw, no smoking, no strenuous activities, no chewing gum etc... (no alcohol)

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
im getting all four of mine out soon too!!! well, in january... im actually excited (im weird like that, i get excited for anything that will be an adventure!) one of mine is growing sideways, and the rest are udner the gum... lol good fun good fun, im definitly going under, my friends brother just got it frozen and he could hear the teeth cracking and stuff, haha im so excited.dont worry i think it will probably be fine!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.