The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

WLD/Seedy Toe

3K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  WesternRider 
#1 ·
I'll grab some pictures tomorrow...

a few members had helped me with this in the past, my mare had what I thought was thrush, but it was pointed out to me to be WLD.
They told me scrape it out with a hoof pick and put thrust buster or some type of treatment on it. Which worked wonders, but sadly it's back. ):

I really don't care for my farrier (especially with the shoes he puts on horses, yikes, their toes are so long) , but no one else is willing to come out (my mare is barefoot so only ever a trim) , since EVERYONE at my barn uses him as well as the b.o..

I'm looking into using white lightning or clean trax.. My mare would be an angel to soak or wrap, I know she would. Opinions on those two products. I read through quite a few posts on WLD and white lightning, but didn't really see opinions on what anyone thought worked.

#2 ·
I could have my vet look at it as well.
I'm hoping to have her out for fall vaccines before my barn moves facilities.

#3 ·
Sorry another post, haha

Has anyone used the "rider's rasp"?
and opinions on doing your horses' feet yourself?
My mare's feet are super easy, they're relatively hard and wear down a lot on their own, due to often riding and rocky ground. So it's not like I'd be taking on a huge job, but I'm not all that knowledgeable on hooves.

#5 ·
Waiting for pics.

There are threads about doing your horse's feet. Search for those first if you can, then ask more specific questions. The rider's rasp is a tool for touch up only; not regular trimming. I don't imagine it would last long when used in place of a proper rasp.

#8 ·
There are threads about doing your horse's feet. Search for those first if you can, then ask more specific questions.
Do you know of any specific threads? Maybe I'll have more luck finding them once I get to my computer.

And I didn't mean to group that question about the rider's rasp with trimming her myself.
It was more like two seperate questions.
My friend has a rasp and I have used it before, but I really didn't know how to handle it too well. Hahah

#7 ·
This is the pic of last year. It looks the same, but I haven't dug it out yet. Sorry I can only put up one pic.
Her front feet are where I see it as a problem. The back is barely noticeable, but I'll still take care of it.

Attachments

#9 ·
When my mini got a severe case of WLD I tried a number of remedies. Had high hopes for white lightning but didnt find it helped much. In the end I went back to copper sulphate which worked pretty well and was by far the cheapest. Would apply it every second day, added water to the powder to make a fairly thick liquid and after a good clean out with a pick painted in on around the entire white line area avoiding the frog. On the areas where it was deeper I would pack the copper sulphate in the holes making a thicker paste to keep it in place. You could also try NT-Dry powder which I have been using for thrush with good results. Can also be used for WLD and mud fever so is a good all-round product. Picking out the soft crumbly matter from the deeper bits is very important before treating it with anything.

#10 ·
Is copper sulphate similar to coppertox? I used coppertox a few years ago when my mare was getting thrushy.
If it isn't the same do you think the local hardware store or tractor supply would have it?

#11 ·
I think coppertox is harsher, the active ingredient is copper naphthenate which is made from copper sulfate but I think Coppertox has other things added too. Copper sulfate can be purchased in most feed stores (well in NZ anyway) it's a blue powder, also known as bluestone.

#13 ·
Last year's pic is useless today. Here is a link on how to take good hoof critique pics: Good Hoof Photos - How to take Good Hoof Photos

Use the Search feature at the top of the screen and enter barefoot trim - you should get lots of hits for some initial reading. Or search for hoof care. There are about a dozen threads under the hoof care topic. There should be more, but people don't always post in there. Sometimes its under horse health.

Google barefoot hoof care and you'll find hoards of information. Read, read and read some more. Then come back and ask questions :)

#14 ·
Done some reading.. and have a question.
I was reading about flares and a picture showed white line separation due to a flare and it looks a lot like what my mare's feet look like.
When I scrubbed her feet today, I didn't really see anything in that groove, it was more just an open space (granted I cleaned her feet, but I meant before I even washed it)

Does WLD go hand in hand with the separation of the white line always? Or can WLD happen without it being separated first?

#15 ·
My understanding of WLD (anyone else feel free to correct me!) is that in the initial stages there is no groove but the white line will be crumbly in areas and as these infected areas are cleaned out this will create the groove. I think that the WLD causes the separation as it progresses. When my mini had WLD I didnt pick it up straight away as conditions were extremely dry so when I was picking her feet what I thought was a clean hoof actually had grooves with extremely hard and dry dirt packed in there. Once my trimmer had a go at them she scraped it all out, I felt terrible that I hadn't picked up on it. Hopefully after her next trim that will remove some of that flare and make it easier to treat.

#16 ·
WLD happens when there is an "opening" to the white line. This commonly comes from flaring because the stress on the WL means the WL can't stay tight - an opening. It can also happen from a puncture or something pushing in the groove -- a stone just the right size at just the right time.

#17 ·
So I guess that a flare doesn't have to be very bad to stretch the white line then. I know her feet have a slight flare, but I wouldn't say it's horrible.

But also my farrier has left that slight flare for years. So I guess the continuous pressure didn't help.

#18 ·
A flare can cause a separation without whiteline disease. True whiteline has a very classic look.It is a crumbly off white powdery stuff between the wall and sole. Trying to pick it out if it is still covered by hoof wall is not effective because that only drives the fungus farher up under the wall, where medication has a harder time reaching. ,So if this is really whiteline disease, resecting ALL the wall that is covering the area may be needed to get to all of it and end it. If the affected area is large, a shoe may be needed for a while to protect the sole and support under the resected area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.