The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please help. I'm stumped. Beau is 8 month. Usually smart,gentle and patient. Here in Colorado its been extremely cold the past 3 days. 20 below windchill Beau has been blanketed every night that its below 30 and is in an enclosed stall in a large barn. I went to put his blanket on tonight and he went nuts. Wouldn't let me get near him with it. Had my son hold him and he reared and then bucked in place when I laid it on him. Then tried to bite my son which is something he's never ever done. There is nothing poking him on the blanket. Its going to be 0 degrees tonight so I had to call my husband and other son just to get this blanket on this 8 month old!! Have you ever heard of horses just hating a blanket??.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
One thing I can think of that could be upsetting him is that when you pull the blanket off and you hear static Beau could be getting little shocks from the blanket and horses can be sensitive to this and not want the blanket. It's like when you take a sweater off in the dark you can see the little flashes of light.
Try not to drag it off and lift it up as much as possible. When I think this is a problem for our horses I kind of fold it up then lift it off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I can think of that could be upsetting him is that when you pull the blanket off and you hear static Beau could be getting little shocks from the blanket and horses can be sensitive to this and not want the blanket. It's like when you take a sweater off in the dark you can see the little flashes of light.
Try not to drag it off and lift it up as much as possible. When I think this is a problem for our horses I kind of fold it up then lift it off.
I hadn't thought of that. Thank you!I I'll do what you sugested

·
Registered
14,333 Posts
Mix up a little fabric softener (1/2 oz to 15 oz water) and spray the blanket inside before you put it on. Do it again when taking it off, horse’s back and the inside of the blanket, when taking it off.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
He is a baby everything is going to bother him until he learns about it.
It would be helpful to the colt, and yourself, if you find a fair minded, hands on trainer to help more often.

There is going to come a day when you misjudge something because you aren’t reading the colt correctly. The colt may become labeled "difficult", thru no fault of his own.
Something we know you not wish to happen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I rinsed the blanket with fabric softer as another reader suggested and haven't had a problem since!! It was obviously static shocks from the nylon. Thank you for your input . yes..I have had a few issues with this colt. But with patience and the advice of readers here we are slowly and surely understanding and learning and progressing in the right direction every day. I assure you,I'm not trying to get every answer to a problem off the Internet. I have a wonderful trainer who comes out twice a week . I merely saw this forum and thought I would ask a few questions of these obviously good and experienced horse women.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts