The Horse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stables we just arrived at has wood floors in their stalls.

Should I mat them or will they be ok on my horses legs, they seem to be alittle slippery. I put down three bags of shavings, should i use more?

Thanks for your insight

·
Registered
687 Posts
Oh, totally mat them. Yea, they would be slippery and the urine will only make them more slippery, if not rot the timbers also.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would use mats. You'll save money in the long run because you won't need as much shavings to keep the floor from getting slippery. They also provide a lot of additional cushion to reduce the stress of standing in the stall.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Definitely mat them, don't use so much sawdust or shavings or whatever you said you used because they build up in horse's feet and then can cause them to go lame. Shavings are only for absorbing the urine and manure. Mats are for comfort and preventing slipping and what not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I moved to a new home and the little barn that I have also has wood floors. I talked to someone else who is more familiar with them and they said that mats weren't good on wood floors, because the moisture gets under the mats and that can rot them out because it never dries. As far as slipping, it doesn't seem to be a problem at all. The wood isn't smooth, big hooves see to that, you just need about three wheelbarrows of sawdust and they are quite good.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
harlee rides horses said:
don't use so much sawdust or shavings or whatever you said you used because they build up in horse's feet and then can cause them to go lame. Shavings are only for absorbing the urine and manure.
Hm. I use shavings and have never ever had a problem with lameness due to shavings. I don't see how it could be bad... they don't pack in the hooves like snow does. But definitely use shavings and not sawdust... for obvious reasons. But yes, shavings are definitely useful absorbers... which is why they're commonly used for bedding.
I would suggest getting mats fitted to your stalls, and put shavings on top. Completely clean out the stalls once a week (or more if you have the time!) and lift up the mats, put some lime down and let them air out. This should help...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
JustDressageIt said:
don't use so much sawdust or shavings or whatever you said you used because they build up in horse's feet and then can cause them to go lame. Shavings are only for absorbing the urine and manure.
Hm. I use shavings and have never ever had a problem with lameness due to shavings. I don't see how it could be bad... they don't pack in the hooves like snow does. But definitely use shavings and not sawdust... for obvious reasons. But yes, shavings are definitely useful absorbers... which is why they're commonly used for bedding.
I would suggest getting mats fitted to your stalls, and put shavings on top. Completely clean out the stalls once a week (or more if you have the time!) and lift up the mats, put some lime down and let them air out. This should help...

Well yeah, sawdust would mat better in hooves, you may not have had problems with it as long as you clean your stalls and hooves regularly, but someone who doesn't do that then the build up might occur.

·
Registered
23,642 Posts
JustDressageIt wrote:
harlee rides horses wrote:

Well yeah, sawdust would mat better in hooves, you may not have had problems with it as long as you clean your stalls and hooves regularly, but someone who doesn't do that then the build up might occur.

I just haven't ever heard of it happening... I mean, snow gets packed in there, and I've never seen it lame a horse. Regular hoof care (cleaning/trimming etc) should always be on the agenda... If you know of cases happening, then let me know :) Then again, if you're talking sawdust then yes, I could see a problem - for the horse's resparatory system. Again, if you know of a case of shavings laming a horse, let me know! I'm interested now!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts