1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had lessons Saturday afternoon
this time instead of riding, she was teaching me ground work
and i was teaching her new pony lunging

that pony was freaked out and all over the place, as if her previous own had just beat her to make her run in circles
it was a nice arm workout for me keeping her from just running away
over the course of an hour, my trainer might have given me 2, maybe 3 corrections
-- like don't stand in the danger zone, if it was a bigger horse i could get run over
-- try to anticipate and watch for signs when she is fixing to balk and turn the other direction (which i was doing, i had just not gotten a feel for her yet)
-- and when de-sensitizing her to the whip, touch her belly along with everywhere else

i took it upon myself to set the lunge/stop/wait intervals to what felt right -- and walk lead her around the training yard when i felt she needed a break -- i even managed a few good whoa's with her, and even 2 smooth change in directions

she was still a little freaked out by the end, but was a huge improvement from when we started

but i was stoked that the trainer told me that i had done excellent and that she was very impressed -- and about 15 minutes into it she was confident enough in me to step back, sit down, and watch

i had heard good job before, and you did pretty good, but this is the first time she said excellent, and that she was very impressed

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sounds great! thanks for sharing. nice being complimented and with an 'excellent' !

Fay

Reactions: jmike

·
Super Moderator
11,640 Posts
Sounds like things are going great in your neck of the woods!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts