The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it's time for me to start one of these - with 2 coming 3 year olds this year and 3 others between the ages of 6 and 13 it will be fun to keep track of things!

I'll start with the oldest - Squiggy, she's going to be 14 this year. I've had her for 13 of those years. She's my finished barrel horse, so mostly I just ride her for the pure joy of it and to keep her in good shape. She gets the winters off, so she's fat n sassy right now.
Here's a few pictures and videos of my star girl

With our trophy saddle won last year!

Next is Penny, she's 9 this year. She is my go to ranch horse and my first horse to ever take through the stages of the hackamore into the bridle. I ride her frequently in the 2 rein (bosal and spade bit) with hopes to ride in the bridle this year. She was injured in the fall so a lot of my plans got set back, I've rode her a handful of times now that she's all healed up, and things are going great. My plans for her are just to improve myself so I can do her justice. She has a lot of try and we've been learning a lot together.

She is the master of hilarious facial expressions.

Next is Martha, she's not mine but I'm riding and feeding her until I can save up to buy her. She's a high energy, big moose type. She has a really nice handle, but just needs some real life miles to become solid. I'm not sure what my plans are for her other than to just use her for work until she is more solid. Ranch horse competitions are a faraway dream, however, and she has the talent for it.

I'll add the babies in the next post!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here are the two babies, both coming 3 this year.

Lola was by big purchase in 2019, she's bred really nice (is related to Martha on the dams side) and has the nicest mind. She came to me pretty well handled so I've mostly just done prep work with her to get her ready to be started this Spring. She's a doll and I can't say enough good things about her.

And Willa is my problem child lol! Just working on getting halter broke right now, she thinks she's a wild beast with a huge personal space bubble. I got her as a weanling from the same place the Squiggy came from 13 years ago. Lots of potential here with this one!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't believe Squigs is 14...:oops::oops::oops::oops:
I remember when you got her and Penny!

Excited to follow your up and comers!
I cant believe it either :cry:
She still acts like she's 4, right down to the bucking fit the first time she gets saddled in the Spring! It's ridiculous.

Im trying to find someone with an indoor arena set up for starting colts so I can get Lola started before calving time, it would be nice to be able to toodle around checking cows on a colt. 🤞

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Haha! You'd probably be worried if she didn't do it!

That would be awesome if you could find a place to get Lola going before you get busy.

Are you at the family place or working for someone?

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha! You'd probably be worried if she didn't do it!

That would be awesome if you could find a place to get Lola going before you get busy.

Are you at the family place or working for someone?
I've moved out to help my fiance keep his moms place going since the passing of his dad. We did a pretty serious cull on the cow herd so only have about 150 cows, but we kept 40 replacements that we're calving out this spring and we keep a good bunch of the calves and grass them as yearlings so it's enough work for two of us and 4 dogs!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going through the most recent videos I have of each of these girls, unfortunately I dont have much that's very up to date. But these will serve as a good starting point.

I have a couple videos of Penny from the spring/summer, but I've improved my rein handling a lot since those videos, and she's lighter now too.

The latest I have of her was last week showing a couple exercises I do riding with one rein at a time:

And I have this video of Martha from not long after she first arrived here. I got her after Penny got hurt in the fall. I had Martha for a couple months last year, and rode her a week last Spring so she's pretty familiar to me.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your horses are beautiful! And so is your ranch!

I just had the strangest idea... could you barrel race around hay bales? Except it'd be called hay racing... I got the idea from watching you lope around the bales.
Thank you!
I believe I did see someone had organized a barrel race in a farmed field that was a much larger than normal pattern and used bales for barrels. Looked like a blast!!

I wouldn't go faster than a trot to make sharp turns repeatedly on grass though, its hard on a horse and teaches them to be scared of getting down into the ground. I have used bales for slow work practice tons! Especially where I'm at now, I dont have an arena and would have to haul to town to practice so I just do my slow work on salt blocks in the pastures or bales during haying season!

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Rode Penny yesterday, mostly just worked on some softness and her turnarounds, getting her to cross over her front legs right without stepping on herself lol.

The ground is poor and shes really out of shape so I didn't expect a lot. Heres the fuzzy girl:

Edited to add a poor video from yesterday

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
Lovely mares!
I like that you call your youngsters babies. Some people want to think they are mature at that age.

Great videos.
I'm adding you to my mental list of "perfect posters" on the forum. Strange how hard it is to find videos of good posting on youtube, but on the forum we have examples of some really good riding.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It was ridiculously nice out today so I was busy all afternoon with horses!
First Lola had a lesson about her mouth-shy-ness, I think she had a bad dentist experience before she came to me.
She wore a bit and bridle for the first time today, handled it pretty well. While letting her learn how to hold the bit I worked her a little with ropes around various parts of her body and belly and flank. She was a good kid!

Finished her day off with standing tied nicely in the barn to have a snack.

I then rode Martha - uploading video now so I'll write about that later.

And then I took Penny for a good trot and worked on using more bit and less bosal and staying soft.
I picked up a new rope last week so I took the opportunity of having my good horse saddled to stretch it and run it around my horn to help get rid of some of the wax.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So Martha has been pretty good at being bent in any way but the way that she needs to be lol! She's very distracted, looky, spooky and touchy, and over reactive. In this video I'm just trying to work on some softness, getting and maintaining the right bend without being picked on, not panicking in her turn arounds and not backing up in a panic when she doesn't know what to do next.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Started the Penny on some new supplemental feed today, hoping for improvement in her feet. No matter what they're chipped and cracked, so I hope this helps. She also got to model a new bosal hanger I just made.
20210217_131413.jpg

Not a lot else going on other than everyone getting some lovins 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had big plans to ride today now that we are out of our cold snap here, but as soon as I got over to the horses the wind picked up and I got an instant wind headache.

Still managed to play with miss Lola a bit, just working on getting her keen to follow a feel and keeping her attention on me. Started with standing in the barn to be brushed and standing patiently for a few minutes. Shes getting pretty good about things! I can stop, turn and back her without touching the lead. I tried to get video but my phone kept blowing down. Got a couple of still images of her following my leading hand.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not super horse related, but alongside my horses I have a working dog as well. She was my SO's pup when we met and she took to me so she became mine. I've never had a working dog before so just the last couple years I've been learning about training and working with my dog. She has a pile of natural ability and instinct and she is very independent and doesn't like to be micro managed.
Anyways, I found a gopro dog harness that my SO had packed away and strapped it to my dog while we moved some cows a while ago...
I have a full 8 minute video on facebook but I don't think I can share the link here, but I did upload 3 short clips with some added humor that I made for tiktok 😉

⚠ Language warning in the videos!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts