The Horse Forum banner
121 - 140 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Rode Penny this evening as it rained all day yesterday and we were busy with other stuff.

I've been really working on her leads and being able to pick up a lead from a stand still or a walk with little to no trot steps in between. We can nail the left lead pretty frequently, but it still takes more effort to get the right one consistently. Took some advice from @COWCHICK77 that she posted in a thread in the western riding subforum and really used moving the hip to the inside to my advantage and that helped a lot. Also helped with getting cleaner simple changes (flying changes are a work in progress). So shout out to her for that little tidbit of help!

I made a new hanger for my little bosalita, as I just adore this cross over style.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I love the new hanger!! Husband is just about to take the leap into putting the spade on Lucy, and he needs to get the set up put together for the hackamore. (I thought I had bought him a good one, but the hanger is too thick maybe.) I like this style though!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
@Knave

Thank you!

If your cowboy man is anything like mine, he's ridiculously picky about his gear. I havent even considered buying mine anything gear related for Christmas or birthdays! Maybe one day I'll gift him some of my rawhide work even though he's better at it than me 😅

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
He is!! I bought him a spade from Caps out of the blue, and he does love it, but I knew which one he had his eye on. Any leather I pick is never good enough. I think our styles are just different.

He had a headstall made for me for our anniversary this month! It’s pretty. I don’t think the guy believed him with his measurements though, because it fits on the last hole on Cashman and was supposed to have a little room like regular sized horses do. A full draft is that perfect size for the beast. (Yes, I hate my plain bit. It is extremely difficult to find a bit sized for a beast sadly.) I wish he would have had the nose piece made with it.
EE6C3FD7-A6B5-4580-957D-3EE24AA282E6.jpeg

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
@Knave He has good taste!!

Sad day around here today, got news from my folks that they made the decision to put down my old mare today. Her body was just plum wore out with arthritis in her knees, one so bad it didn't even bend anymore. I've been expecting this news for months, and if I had been living at home I probably would have arranged for this day a long time ago.

We had a lot of good times together.

·
Registered
14,871 Posts
Very sorry to hear about Peanut. I hope they saved some of her tail. If they did, send it to me, I will make you something as a gift.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Rode Martha early this morning to go check some cows before it got too hot. We are in a heat wave this week!

I worked on some transitions with her on the ride out and back, starting with going from a big long trot to a more collected trot, and back up again. Eventually worked on trot to lope and finished off with taking a more extended lope to slower collected lope. I did everything more or less in a straight line, I figure if I can get this stuff solid while just making a mile out to and back from the cows, it will be easier in a pen, circle, or arena

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Our trip is going excellent! Branding day was a great time, even if we were all dehydrated messes that fell into bed before 9.

Penny worked great all day, was on the ball to cut cows that tried to quit the rodear, she was quick but soft about it, really watched the cows and was fun to rope off of. She has some bad habits when trying to heel that I need to work on, but overall it was an awesome time. We gathered the cows and held them in a bend in the creek, no corrals or even a trailer as a wall, felt very old-timey, and was awesome!

It was hot 🔥 so we didn't even unpack our tent, just put our deluxe sized bedroll on the ground next to the truck.
The sunrise from said bedroll:

And an absolute treasure of a picture with myself on the head and my fiance on the heels.

·
Registered
7,390 Posts
Finally things slowed down at my house and it's hot so I got to catch up on yours and @Knave journals!
Been a couple of months. There are a couple more peopkes I'd like to follow too but I haven't sat down to read through them yet.

Anyhow...

Your horses look good! I giggled at Willas first ride when she would get flagged and she pins her ears as to say, don't tell me what to do! 😆
I love how freed up Lola was on her first. She's going to be fun.

Glad the hip moving stuff helped with the loping off!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Been super busy with things other than horses lately... They're mowing my lawn and I'm riding early early in the morning when I can but not much as it is so smoky here right now and I worry about irritating their lungs if I work anyone hard.

Penny is fabulous and the longer she is straight up in the bridle, the more her posture is coming to be uphill, on the vertical and well engaged.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I have been like that too. It’s so hot! My rides have been fairly early and fairly boring. The girls want to enter a team branding in three weeks, and we haven’t practiced yet!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·
Spent some time with the littles today. My hunny put another ride on Lola, I think she's about at the point that I will be able to start riding her. I was supposed to have a saddle for riding them but the tree hasn't showed up yet, so I guess I'll just have to find a way to make my wade work. It's so heavy I can't throw it on a colt very quietly, but they have to get used to it some time. It's seriously the heaviest saddle I've ever held.

I spent some time working on Willa with handling her back feet as they need some work. She holds them nice for a few moments before she gets worried so I just need to build on that.
I measured her at 14.3-15hh today (just kind if eyeballed with a measuring tape).

And here's the Squigg being adorable:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
After flagging my hunny on Willa this morning, (which went really well, he only needed my help to keep her to the outside of thr pen a couple times. He got her through all gaits without my help) I loaded up and went to go visit a friend who is staying at her folks for a couple weeks. Rode around and played with ponies, and put a nice little ride on her little mare that got back from being started a little bit ago. Friend is pregnant so hasn't been able to ride her young horse, all went really well!

Penny spooked at the arena dirt, both in the indoor and outdoor ring 🤣 I took advantage of the opportunity of having an arena to work on some shoulder ins/hip ins, leg yields at a trot and some fun things like that.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Yay!!! Also I love the pictures! The first one is my favorite. We never brand out of a rodeer.

121 - 140 of 143 Posts