The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just started boarding my horse at a family barn and since I can't work with my own horse right now due to an injury, the owner of a black 15hh Rocky Mtn horse mare, said I can work with her.
She has absolutely NOOOOOOOO ground manners.
She bit me today and broke skin. so she found out what PERSONAL SPACE is.
We lunged today and learned about pressure on the halter too.
She learns quickly but I want her to be able to listen because after she knows what I'm doing, she starts to ignore me.
Help?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Check out giddyupflix.com, you can rent training dvd's from practically any clinician. I'm renting Clinton Anderson's Fundamentals now (have used in past but needed a refresher for myself). They have all the major trainers like Parelli and tons I've never even heard of!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
When she ignores you change what your doing, so she pays attention. Don't let her mindlessly go around in circles. Change direction after two or three circles, ask for transitions, set up ground poles, work through ditches, send through gates. Keep her guessing so she does not have time to ignore you.

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
I agree. Challenge her so she has to pay attention to where she's putting her feet. Don't stay in the confines of an arena but look for things out in the yard or road way.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I am no professional trainer but she sounds like the horse I co-board. Very short attention span. To keep her focused try doing new things often. Get her to walk over tarps etc. This could also help desensitize her if she is a spooky horse. Also i am constantly talking to my horse when I work with her...maybe I'm just crazy though ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts

Here are some exercises I do with a horse who has a short attention span (I am not a professional nor a horse trainer, but I apprentice under a professional. These are simple tasks you should do under supervision and only if you feel comfortable). The horse in this video is a TB who pretty much pays attention to everything but you.

I would also maybe suggest working with someone who has a little more experience under their belt, at least to begin with, so you aren't jumping in alone and risking harm with a horse who invades space like that.

Typically, a biter is either biting because they've learned it is OK or because they are protecting themselves- but she sounds like a horse who has learned it's ok and has gotten away with it. I would do a lot of free lunging, not really lunging on a line because she has to learn to give to pressure and only come into your space when you allow it.

Also change things up, like some of the activities in the video I linked. These are good attention grabbers and soon she will learn to look to you instead of trying to be the boss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.