The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Workouts for Muscle Gain?

810 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Jane's Mom 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,
does anyone have any workouts that you used for your horses that worked well? My horse was a halter horse and very beefy when we first got him, when he hit the Las Vegas heat he lost a ton of weight and muscle. He’s finally starting to get it back but is there anything I can do to accelerate that? He’s on weight gainers and high fat feeds but he has HYPP which makes it hard to feed him anything else. Any help is appreciated! (first picture is when I first got him and the second is from today)
Horse Sky Working animal Horse tack Horse supplies

Horse Sky Liver Working animal Sorrel

See less See more
#2 ·
He may be halter horse but he looks better balanced to me in the second picture...although still lacking in his shoulders.
The first picture he is over-muscled in his hindend, something I see in many halter who have the HYPP and Impressive genes someplace in their bloodline background.
He has small feet, along with the other issues you have with HYPP be cautious how much you pack on that animal or you may have more problems of a horse who walks of egg-shells of laminitis and founder tendencies...

To me he needs ridden where he goes up and down hill and grade and is a using horse to build a nice balance.
You don't build muscle by just feeding fat food to get bulk...
A horse who jiggles fat to me is not attractive in anything, but one who ripples with sculpted muscle even if it isn't enormous bulk is far nicer a animal to judge.
🐴.. jmo....

#3 ·
Hi everyone,
does anyone have any workouts that you used for your horses that worked well? My horse was a halter horse and very beefy when we first got him, when he hit the Las Vegas heat he lost a ton of weight and muscle. He’s finally starting to get it back but is there anything I can do to accelerate that? He’s on weight gainers and high fat feeds but he has HYPP which makes it hard to feed him anything else. Any help is appreciated! (first picture is when I first got him and the second is from today)
HI Tynleighr,

Your horse has very similar confirmation to my mare. She is foundation QH halter lines. That photo looks like the halter horse winner!!
When i first moved to the southwest she looked like photo number one. She now looks like photo number two.

She is in a decent boarding situation but no pasture because ugg desert situation. The quality of hay the stable gets is getting worse each year due to drought.
I started feeding her soaked shredded beet pulp/No Molasses because she is also HYPP so potassium is a big issue I must watch.
She is in a large paddock with 3 other mares so I cant feed hay free choice if I wanted to.......

I am looking into adding fat to her diet but have to be super picky due to HYPP constraints. She cant have much alfalfa bc HYPP
She is allergic to Rice Bran busted out in full body hives when i tried to add to her food

I would definitely try the beet pulp if you haven't added that just make sure it is soaked and for our HYPP horses NO MOLASSES. I started my girl on 1/2 cup (dry) soaked in 3 cups water then drained off a bit of water, added to her steam crimped oats. She is up to 1 1/2 cups dry measure. I generally soak it in 2 to 3 times amount of water to dry for at least 3-5 hrs.

the grass lol out here is lacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.