The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
To everyone seeking natural methods of a dewormer. Please check out Omega Alpha Para-X. I had been using the recommended course of dewormers for my area for years and cleaning my pasture etc.. shortly after doing ivermectin I decided to try para-x. I actually saw live worms in my horses manure.

Chemical wormers do not kill off the live worms. They just get rid of the eggs.

Para-x is natural and it causes the horses system to become alkaline so the live worms let go and shed out of their systems as the horses digestive tract is no lo ger a hospitibal environment for them.

You do it every 3 months and it keeps a consisten alkaline level in their body.

My vet recommends it. And there have been studies done by UPEI showing how effective it is.

I have yet to have a positive fecal count come back since switching to parax. I also use it on my dogs and myself. My older mare has kept weight on much easier since switching as well. I swear by it.

I don't have time to link to articles but there is stuff out there to support how well it works.

Sorry for typos.. my tablet is brutal to post from sometimes lol

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
To everyone seeking natural methods of a dewormer. Please check out Omega Alpha Para-X. I had been using the recommended course of dewormers for my area for years and cleaning my pasture etc.. shortly after doing ivermectin I decided to try para-x. I actually saw live worms in my horses manure.

Chemical wormers do not kill off the live worms. They just get rid of the eggs.

Para-x is natural and it causes the horses system to become alkaline so the live worms let go and shed out of their systems as the horses digestive tract is no lo ger a hospitibal environment for them.

You do it every 3 months and it keeps a consisten alkaline level in their body.

My vet recommends it. And there have been studies done by UPEI showing how effective it is.

I have yet to have a positive fecal count come back since switching to parax. I also use it on my dogs and myself. My older mare has kept weight on much easier since switching as well. I swear by it.

I don't have time to link to articles but there is stuff out there to support how well it works.

Sorry for typos.. my tablet is brutal to post from sometimes lol
I think you have that backwards. Dewormers kill the worms, not the eggs. Then the eggs hatch continuing the cycle.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I think you have that backwards. Dewormers kill the worms, not the eggs. Then the eggs hatch continuing the cycle.
Yes sorry about that lol. That's what I get for posting in a rush and not paying attention lol. The parax does expel the eggs though and the adults just keep passing through and don't attach to the digestive tract.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Also I was just reading an older thread on here where people were skeptical. Omega Alpha products have undergone clinical trials. They are used on many Olympic level horses with success.

Recently another product, regenereq underwent a trial and proven to be more effective at treating equine ulcers then omeprezol.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm intrigued. But I wonder what the negative effects of having a more alkaline system, might be???

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Well it's safer then DE by far lol. But on a serious note I asked my vet and he says it's safe. The fact it's safe for dogs, cats, rabbits and even humans is enough for me.

I know people who have been using it since it first came out and have yet to have any issues and never had any positive fecal counts come back. I've been using it a year now with positive results. Both my horses lick it out of the syringe.

I will never dump chemical dewormers down my horses again. The fact they are dangerous to humans and other animals freaks me out and that you need to keep your dogs away from the barn for awhile after using chemical dewormers in case they eat the manure with the chemicals is scary. I've had multiple vets tell me to not let dogs eat the manure of a recently dewormed horse because of the chemicals. And Ftr no I'm not one of those chrunchy people who thinks big pharma is evil and anti vaccines lol. I do use modern medicine and vaccinate.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Ingredients and functions:

Quisqualis Indica - Eliminates and paralyses roundworms

Torreya Grandis - Eliminates and paralyses tapeworms, pinworms, hook worms and roundworms

Arecha Catechu - Eliminates tapeworms, roundworms, blood flukes and fasciolopis

Dryopteris Crassirhizoma - Eliminates and paralyses tapeworms, pinworms, hookworms, roundworms and liver flukes

Cucurbita Moschata (Pumpkin Seeds) - Eliminates young schistosomes and other intestinal parasites

Allium Sativum (Garlic) - Eliminates amoebas, tapeworms and hookworms
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Garlic is not good for horses. It's on the do not feed lists.

Dyropteris is a fern used in Asian medicine.
Dryopteris (Wood Fern, Guan Zhong)

Areca is the Betel nut palm. Highly addictive, carcinogenic and dangerous.

Torreya is an Asian conifer. Mostly sold as an antioxident in health food stores but some old Chinese medicine does mention it for worms.
Torreya Seed - ENaturalHealthCenter.com (e2121.com)
Interesting claims. If it worked it would be a super food.

I wouldn't feed that to anything.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Yet there is "dangerous" chemicals in vaccines and we vaccinate.

Yes fed in high volumes and alone things can be dangerous. My horses love their parax and I have yet to hear any negative effects.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I will see if I can get my friend to comment on here, she knows the product inside and out.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Something like Para-X does sound interesting- but it's not something I would give to my horse without seeing independent studies confirming its efficacy and long term safety.

Reactions: Horseychick87

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Ok so my source is making an account to join and post more but this is what she offered in the mean time.

It is a broad spectrum intestinal cleanse. It works by changing the gut and blood ph as well as paralyzingly the pest so they leave live. No parasitic die off. No toxic pesticide load to the liver. Also clears lung and live fluke. 100% backed. And do not have to rotate wormers. No pesticide resistance. It changes the environment and makes it hostile to the pest. No side effects and 100% natural ingredients.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
So, this natural dewormer that is supposed to make the horse's system alkaline really doesn't pass the science test either. The body has a system that maintains it's acid-base balance that includes compensatory systems so something that is supposed work by making the body too alkaline for parasites just really doesn't seem feasible.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I'm very likely missing a lot of info which is why I asked my friend to join and explain it better :)
Posted via Mobile Device

141 - 160 of 167 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.