The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just received my fecal egg count results for my two ponies, Millie and Shadow. Millie, who is somehow immune to all equine problems lol, came back as <50 (no eggs seen in sample) and Shadow came back with a medium result for strongyles, 650! I am waiting on additional tapeworm results and then will be worming both of them despite Millie's low result as I want them both doing for small encysted red worm and obviously tapeworm too, if needed. I'll also be giving their field a complete poo wipeout just to get on top of it all, and then retest Shadow two weeks or so after worming to make sure its been successful.
Anyway, I was just wondering what everyone else's experiences of worming have been. Has anyone ever had results as high or higher than 650? The lab labelled this as a medium result but I know anything over 200 eggs per gram requires worming so 650 seems moderately high to me. Also, why is it that Millie had such low results and Shadow's were so much higher despite them having lived together in the same paddock for months, can anyone explain why some horses are more vulnerable to worms than others?
I'm kind of just in the mood to discuss worming now, weird horsey problems lol. Any worming experiences welcome

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Of my five horses, two I never fecal-tested as that was back in the day of 8-week rotations, and that as that. Djinn, my Arabian, was born with a poor immune system and would have been given a blood transfusion from his Mama, had he not been at a farm in isolation. He was always sky high in his ascarid count, no matter what we did. The vet had him on daily Strongid x2 with twice-yearly dewormings using Zimectrin and Oxybendazole (Anthelcide EQ). He was still always very high.

At one point, the vet mentioned my using Panacure Power Pac: it is VERY expensive. But eventually I did purchase it. However, before I could administer it my vet ran away with his secretary and I was bereft of vets... I used it anyway, very carefully following the directions, and nearly killed my poor horse. it was bad, and it took him months - probably close to a year - before he was 100% again, and shortly thereafter he developed Cushings. Connected? I don't know. Anyway, my other two horses, Ahab and Boojum, never test high for worms, even when they are pastured with other horses.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Of my five horses, two I never fecal-tested as that was back in the day of 8-week rotations, and that as that. Djinn, my Arabian, was born with a poor immune system and would have been given a blood transfusion from his Mama, had he not been at a farm in isolation. He was always sky high in his ascarid count, no matter what we did. The vet had him on daily Strongid x2 with twice-yearly dewormings using Zimectrin and Oxybendazole (Anthelcide EQ). He was still always very high.

At one point, the vet mentioned my using Panacure Power Pac: it is VERY expensive. But eventually I did purchase it. However, before I could administer it my vet ran away with his secretary and I was bereft of vets... I used it anyway, very carefully following the directions, and nearly killed my poor horse. it was bad, and it took him months - probably close to a year - before he was 100% again, and shortly thereafter he developed Cushings. Connected? I don't know. Anyway, my other two horses, Ahab and Boojum, never test high for worms, even when they are pastured with other horses.
Thats absolutely terrible, I am so glad he recovered but that still sucks about Cushings :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts