The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got a Long yearling filly, she rode 4 hours in trailer to my house yesterday, she seems to be adjusting well eating and drinking (teamed her up with another yearling) but after giving her her first does of safeguard today (worms are definitely present) she seems so tired, sickly and tummy heaving a bit --starting to doubt myself about giving her the 2nd dose tommarrow, should I ease off one day starting again the next??

I know for a fact she has never ever been wormed before, she was never given pelleted feed so this is huge gut adjustment also, she's eating my Total Equine slowly but surely.

I just hate if when babies get this bad so young...Wormer suggestions are appreciated....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mean to be a pain, but I think you mean Emaciated not Emancipated.

Emaciation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Emancipation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and give your vet a call or an email, he/she has seen your filly I assume, so knows her current condition and can give you an opinion on whether or not to keep worming her. Without seeing the filly, current body temp. etc... it's nigh on impossible to make a diagnosis. Good luck.
I know....I just realized OMG thats what happens to you when you get old....SIGGHHhhh
I've already decided to get 100 lbs on her then I'll start her on power pak
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,293 Posts
In hindsight when I dewormed a very wormy Arab that had been on hay that wasn't even fit for cattle, I should have waited perhaps a month instead of a week. I had put him on good hay only to go easy on his system. The deworming was hard on him and he looked dreadful for a couple of days. He was looking better so I dewormed him again after 30 days. By 6 weeks, having had grain added to his diet, he was looking pretty good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,983 Posts
Maybe she emancipated an emaciated filly. :rofl:

Sorry, no dewormer suggestions. In general, I think Ivermectin is an excellent choice, but for an underweight animal that has never been dewormed that might be too much too soon. I know everyone always says "ask a vet" about everything but if I were in your shoes and I had a vet that I could talk to, that is what I would do. Good luck with your baby, I hope she's doing better soon. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,913 Posts
It's never a good idea to deworm any debilitated horse with a full dose of even the mildest product. Start with a 50% dose of something mild like Safeguard to limit the amount of dieoff. Follow that up in a week with another 1/2 dose than do the full dose in another week. Her reaction was due to the large amount of dead and dieing parasites her body was trying to deal with.

Waiting is definitly wise at this point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THanks everyone for your helpful thoughts....shes already feeling better today, I didn't give her a second dose, she played bit and kicked at her stall-mate during dinner...
I decided to wait 9 days then will give her another dose she's eating twice a day, gets her feet trimmed tuesday...on the mend...she's the 2nd baby I've recooped this year.
I will see if I can figure out how to attach some pics
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top